E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2002, 08:09 AM   #1
Speedfreak

My Ride: 323i
Question Questions about preparing for driver's school

I am interested in any advice on preparing for drivers school.

My questions are:
Should I change my brake pads. Mine are original and have 20,000 miles on them. What brand would work good for school and street?
Should I change my brake fluid. How often should I change brake fluid?
Where do you go to get the required tech inspection?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Pat
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:09 AM   #2
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Driver school prep

- Should I change my brake pads. Mine are original and have 20,000 miles on them. What brand would work good for school and street?

You should have at least 50% pad thickness for a driver school. At 20k miles, you are probably close to that. Have whoever techs your car take a close look at them. As for pad compound, factory pads work very well if you don't have much track experience. Metal Masters should never be used at a track (autocross is fine). If you really want to run something other than stock, contact your BMWCCA chapter driver school people and ask for a specific recommendation for the track you will be on. I usually run race pads up front. They dust like hell but stop great when hot. I usually install them the day before and drive to the track. Keep in mind race pads stop like crap when cold, are abrasive to the rotors when cold, and the dust is usually very corrosive so you have to wash it off within a couple days. Here are some pads I like:
Performance Friction - PF90
Hawk - Black compound
Carbotech - Panther Plus

- Should I change my brake fluid. How often should I change brake fluid?

Most schools require brake fluid to be less than 6 months old. If your car is "new", keep in mind it spent 2 months on trains/planes/boats/assembly lines before it got to you. I generally change my brake fluid before every school with Ate Type 200 or its blue twin, Ate Super Blue.

- Where do you go to get the required tech inspection?

A "competant" mechanic has to tech your car. I have teched my own cars for track days but that invloves about 2 hours of time and jack stands. Usually, I get my local independant BMW mechanic to do it. He is familiar with driver schools and understands the extra loads put on the car at the track. I have also used BMW dealers with varying results. One dealer didn't really understand the importance of the inspection and practically had to be forced to do it. I found a service writer at another dealer that was familiar with driver schools and had no problem booking the inspection. Find your local BMWCCA chapter driver school committee and ask for specific shop recommendations. I'm sure they will be happy you are taking an active interest your car's condition for a school.

Ed

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 10:07 AM   #3
topazmania
Ogler of Women and Mods

My Ride: '01 M3 cab, '90 325i
You should ask around your CCA chapter. Some reputable shops in your area might do the inspection for free if you are a CCA member.

If you are in the Bay Area, let me know and I'll give you the name of a very good shop that'll do it for free.
topazmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 10:52 AM   #4
Speedfreak

Smile Thanks,

Teamdfl,

Why not Metal Masters? How about Hawk HPS or HP Plus?

topazmania,

Thanks but I'm way out on the Delmarva Pennisula. Thats Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia. Our plant manager calls it Deliverance, after the movie. I'm about 90 minutes from the closest CCA chapter. I'll ask around. It;ll take a while but I'm sure I'll find someone.

Thanks again.

Pat
Old 05-07-2002, 11:28 AM   #5
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

RE: Why not Metal Masters?

Metal Masters are allegedly low dusting and fine as a street pad but my buddies say they are completely inadequate for any track use. I've heard horror stories of pad fade after only a few laps. The pads are built to be easy on rotors and low dusting. No one has ever accused them of being capable of handling heat.

I have found factory pads to be plenty for those without a lot of track experience. They hold up fine for a few stops from Autobahn speeds as required by TUV standards.

What track are you running? What chapter or club are you running with?

Ed

My Track Schedule

Old 05-07-2002, 05:18 PM   #6
Speedfreak

Thanks again,

I have no track experience.

If I make the list I'll be going with the National Capital Chapter.

I'll be running at Summit Point Jefferson Circuit.

I'll going to The Saturday Highway Saftey School and the Sunday drivers school.

I'm asking about pads because I have 20,000 miles on these. If I need to replace them before going to the track I want to get the best thing I can for the track and street.

Have you heard anything about the Hawk HPS or HP Plus?

If I make out OK on the track I'll be going back as often as I can.

Pat
Old 05-07-2002, 05:23 PM   #7
Dinan3XI
Boy Racer

My Ride: 996 GT3
Send a message via AIM to Dinan3XI
My car is actually in the shop as we speak getting prepared for a track day next week. I am putting Pagid Blue brake pads on my car along with some new fluid for a better temp rating. I would recommend this highly because it is very possible to go through a set of street pads in one track day. Put the Pagid Blues on and you should be set. Good luck and have fun at the track.
Dinan3XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 05:35 PM   #8
Speedfreak

Smile Thanks, I'll look for them.

Where can I get them?
Old 05-07-2002, 05:40 PM   #9
Dinan3XI
Boy Racer

Call a shop that works with BMWs around you and ask for them. If not call Midwest Motorsport In Glenview, IL and ask to talk to Steve or Joe and they can hook you up with a set. Let them know, Mo sent you to them. They have a sale on them right now actually and had some in stock so call in and ask. Their number is 847-998-9150 and that is in IL. They are open from around 7am to 5 pm CST. They should give you a great deal.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:48 PM   #10
Dinan3XI
Boy Racer

Speedfreek email me and I will see if I can give you some more info. My dad also runs Pagid Blues on his porsche for street and track use. My email is Mopca993@aol.com

Last edited by Dinan3XI; 05-07-2002 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:13 AM   #11
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

Jefferson Circuit

Jefferson Circuit is very easy on pads. You can run almost anything there.

Ed

My Track Schedule