E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2002, 09:40 AM   #1
lilfame

My Ride: 323ci
Arrow Listen to my dilemna!

I want to get 18 inch PG2's but I dont have the money right now because I just bought my car. I just found out about the HM3 which look exactly like the PG2's (unless you tell me otherwise) but their available only in 17 inches. My car is a 2000 323ci so you know the stock rims are ugly. I was thinking of just getting the HM3's with tires for $1300 and then getting 18 or 19 inch rims summer of 2003. I know 17 inches are small but if im saving 1500 does it make that much of a difference in appearance? Plus I won't lose ride quality either. I can also spend an extra $600 to get coilovers too and have my car lowered. So here are my options please help me decide

A)Save money and get PG2's summer of 2003
B)Buy 17 inch HM3's now and get rid of ugly stock and get car lowered
C)Dont get rims at all this year but other mods <2000

Remember I only have $2000 to spend on my car right now and I dont care about performance only about looks. HELP!!
lilfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:44 AM   #2
JesseM

My Ride: 03 ??
wait...what style wheel is on your 323ci?
JesseM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:48 AM   #3
lilfame

Its stock its got like 7 spokes and their 16 inches. Loook at any stock 2000 e46 and those are the rims I have.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:49 AM   #4
Clem
Alpha Male

My Ride: Twin Turbo'd Beast
Trust me I speak from experience.

DON'T settle, save up and get the rims you want. It's worth the wait.

Keep checking the classifieds, there's always a good deal to be found.
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:49 AM   #5
ky!

My Ride: awhiteysedan
Save and get PG2's. Rims are really in import choice in my book so don't settle. Once you start modding people will be more critical of your car, and I don't think 17" aftermarket rims are gonna cut it. IMO
ky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 10:06 AM   #6
lilfame

How about I add a choice D

D)Use money saved from buying 17 inch rims to get a front and rear spoiler

So its 17 inch rims with front and rear spoiler

VS

18 inch rims of the same type

I think for now 17 inch rims would be good since their nicer than stock and I dont have money yet, its better than nothing and Im out only 1300, i can get half of that back of I sell the rims the following year so maybe its not such a bad idea. Please give me more opinions!

Old 05-08-2002, 10:10 AM   #7
jpetch
need $$$

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally posted by Clem
Trust me I speak from experience.

DON'T settle, save up and get the rims you want. It's worth the wait.

Keep checking the classifieds, there's always a good deal to be found.
you said it clem! dont ever settle. i almost did that when i severly scratched one of my type 68 rims. i almost settled, but instead i just bought a new rim, and now i saved up for 19's. just save your money, check around, and you'll be able to find a good deal somewhere.
jpetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 10:15 AM   #8
lilfame

Most of you guys can say just buy the more expensive rims cuz most of you make a **** load of money or mommy and daddy bought your bmw's for you so money isn't an issue. I dont make a **** load of money a year but Im comfortable and I can afford my car but $3000 on something petty like tires which may get stolen anyway doesnt seem like the smart thing to do right now. I can buy them now if I really wanted to but I hate not having a stash of money if anything bad happens. Its either rims now or rims a year from now and I want them now just in time for the summer. Does 1 inch really make THAT much of a difference?? Its the same rim right? Other than size any other differences between a pg2 and hm3???
Old 05-08-2002, 10:24 AM   #9
jpetch
need $$$

Quote:
Originally posted by lilfame
Most of you guys can say just buy the more expensive rims cuz most of you make a **** load of money or mommy and daddy bought your bmw's for you so money isn't an issue. I dont make a **** load of money a year but Im comfortable and I can afford my car but $3000 on something petty like tires which may get stolen anyway doesnt seem like the smart thing to do right now. I can buy them now if I really wanted to but I hate not having a stash of money if anything bad happens. Its either rims now or rims a year from now and I want them now just in time for the summer. Does 1 inch really make THAT much of a difference?? Its the same rim right? Other than size any other differences between a pg2 and hm3???
hey i dont make that much money either, but ive been saving for wheels since september. and trust me, and inch does make a huge difference! ask any of these guys here. they will tell you the same thing. everyone kept telling me, "you gotta get 19's, trust me, that extra inch makes a huge difference." and ive noticed it too when i look at 18's. they dont look that big on an e46, but when i saw 19's on an e46, they look great. but everyone has their own opinion. i say bigger is better.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:29 AM   #10
Shinobi
Addicted to Autocross

My Ride: 2001 Jet Black 330Ci
Save Your Money...

and get the wheels. I've got a bunch of mods and NOTHING makes my car look better than the wheels. My favorite mod by far. Sure, alot of people have Hamann, but most of those people are on message boards like this. On the street, I rarely see a BMW with the same wheels and I live in So Cal.

I look at my wheels everyday and think they are the ****! Well worth it. Especially if you're upgrading from 16" wheels. Have some patience and you won't regret it.

Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 10:38 AM   #11
RonnieRenaldi
MPRESIV

My Ride: Dinan Supercharged M
Save and get the nineteens...you won't regret it
RonnieRenaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 10:39 AM   #12
obLu

My Ride: 330cic
Unhappy Sorry we didn't tell you what you wanted to hear.

Quote:
but $3000 on something petty like tires which may get stolen anyway doesnt seem like the smart thing to do right now
Well if it's petty then why are you sweating it? Get whatever it is you want but don't complain when people share their experience. What you're asking is like rent-to-own. Now, instead of just waiting and spending $3k to get the wheels you want, you're going to spend $2000 on some 17's and then $3k later on the wheels you really want. Grand total 5k. If money's a factor then that's a big waste of 2k.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:47 AM   #13
jonas

My Ride: 328i Sedan
People will look at your car and say, nice car, but you don't have 19" wheels, do you

Quote:
Originally posted by ky!
Save and get PG2's. Rims are really in import choice in my book so don't settle. Once you start modding people will be more critical of your car, and I don't think 17" aftermarket rims are gonna cut it. IMO
? I hate when they say that, but that is what is happening to me currently, I have a lot of bells and whistles in my car and 18" wheels, big mistake, I could easily waited 30 days and got 19"s. I regret that, so don't settle for the 17"s I guess that you will regret later. BTW, your wheels are not that ugly...
jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 11:06 AM   #14
lilfame

I dont want to get 19s for the simple fact you sacrifice too much on ride quality and the roads of NY are ****ed up. I would just end up damaging my rim and being pissed off.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:39 AM   #15
InlineSiX
illstylez

My Ride: 1999 328i
Alright you kinda sound like you just want someone to tell you it's ok to get the 17s. Well to answer your questions the extra inch DOES make a difference in the appearance...but hey it's your money so do what you want. If the rims aren't that important to you, go with the 17s and you'll probably be happy with them...
InlineSiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 12:30 PM   #16
jpetch
need $$$

Quote:
Originally posted by lilfame
I dont want to get 19s for the simple fact you sacrifice too much on ride quality and the roads of NY are ****ed up. I would just end up damaging my rim and being pissed off.
at least go with 18's then. this size will not make much of a difference in ride quality. i dont think anyone here will tell you that you should get 17's, but you seem to be rejecting everyones opinion. so do what you want. i dont want to sound rude, but dont come cryin to us later on saying that you regret not going bigger.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:48 PM   #17
lilfame

Nah I can take constructive criticism. Im going to take your advice and just wait next year and get the 18 inch PG2's. Maybe by then they'll drop the price who knows. So far cheapest I see them for is $600 at adventon.com. Anyone know a place with a better price?