E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2002, 08:01 PM   #1
lovethebimmer

My Ride: 328i
Upgraded stereo, but now have hiss (white noise)! What's up?

I just upgraded my BMW non-HK stereo. I added MB Quart components up front, JBL coax's in the rear deck, an Alpine MRV-450 power amp (the fifth channel is for adding a sub at a later date), and a Peripheral Ven-4 LOC to make the jump from the factory head unit to the Alpine amp.

The system sounds great, however, there is a constant white noise hiss sound coming from all speakers now. It is not volume dependent, and does not increase with engine reving (unlike alternator whine can do). You really can't hear it at higher volumes, but the white noise is definitely there at lower listening levels and quite frankly it bugs me.

Has anyone ever had this happen when they upgraded? Is it normal when adding higher power amps or was it a bad install? If so, what went wrong and how do you fix it?

Your expertise and real world experience is appreciated.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:03 PM   #2
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

My Ride: ASA ACS 3.0 Cabrio
check all ur wiring. grouding points, etc. make sure ur speaker wires arent snagged any where, etc.
lilherc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 08:48 PM   #3
rome5982

My Ride: 99 323i
Try to keep your amps ground wire as short as possible. Like less than 6 inches if you can.

18"ASA AR1/H&R CupKit/ECIS CAI/Stromung Exhaust/Zimmerman Rotors/Aluminum Interior Trim & Face Gauges/G2 Calipers/Clear Corners/Autometer Gauges/Mtech Front Bumper/Chrome Grill/UUC Shift Knob/OEM Rear Spoiler/Painted Moldings/Silver Gauge Rings/JL Audio 12W3V2 & 6.5 Coax/BA 6.5 ProSeries/Kicker KX600.4
rome5982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 08:54 PM   #4
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

My Ride: ASA ACS 3.0 Cabrio
also, yry to ground all ur components at one location.
lilherc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:50 PM   #5
MCD007
Im The Man

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to MCD007
Quote:
Originally posted by lilherc79
also, yry to ground all ur components at one location.

Not a good idea. Keep them evenly spaced out a few inches.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:16 PM   #6
jaytee0401
Thread Hijacker!!!

My Ride: ur girl!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by MCD007

Not a good idea. Keep them evenly spaced out a few inches.
Ditto that!!!
jaytee0401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 12:40 PM   #7
lovethebimmer

What do you mean space out all the grounding of my components? Isn't the Alpine amp the only thing that is grounded?
Old 10-31-2002, 01:59 PM   #8
jaytee0401
Thread Hijacker!!!

My Ride: ur girl!!!
Ok, basically from what you're saying you have a hissing noise through your speakers..when there's no music playing but the stereo is on right? That's engine background noise. One could be bad or poorly done grounding on your amp or your deck. Two, dont run power or ground wires right next to the speaker wires. Especially if you re-wired the entire car or where you amp is mounted, keep the speaker wires away from the power wire. Three, the deck can be pickin' up engine noise due to bad ground behind the deck. And just make sure the ground wire from the amp is as short as possible and at the point of contact where the ground is to the car, make sure you scratch up all the paint to have a good metal to metal contact. Maybe other members on this board have other suggestions. But good luck on your stereo.
jaytee0401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 04:42 PM   #9
lovethebimmer

I got back in the trunk and fiddled with the amp settings. The installer had the gain on the amp turned all the way up. I turned the gain down to the middle and the vast majority of the hiss went away. There is a tiny bit, but it is considerably lower.

I also tried turning up the gain in the Peripheral Ven 4 converter to get increased juice to the amp (just for more volume if I ever wanted it), but the sound didn't seem as clean.

Overall it sounds good, but I still don't have a lot of bass coming from the 5 1/4 MB Quarts in the front door panels. The rear deck 6 1/2 JBL's have tons more bass for some reason. Any thoughts on this?
Old 11-02-2002, 08:33 PM   #10
visor

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally posted by rome5982
Try to keep your amps ground wire as short as possible. Like less than 6 inches if you can.
Thanx for the tip rome! This has significantly helped eliminate the alternator whine in my speakers!

lovethebimmer: The 5.25's don't put out as much bass as the 6.5's. If you need more bass, you'll need to get a sub in the trunk. You already have the 5th channel, I see.
visor is offline   Reply With Quote