E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2002, 06:51 AM   #1
calvin

My Ride: Infiniti FX35 AWD
Send a message via AIM to calvin
worst day of my life.. help!!!

my car was parked at school today and when i got out of class, i notice that there was a HUGE splat of bird crap on my hood. it looked like that damn bird ate like 10 burritos and decided to extract it all on my hood.. seriously.. it was that bad. anyways.. i got home and parked my car on my driveway hoping to clean the mess a little later when the sun came down. when i got out to work on my car, i noticed that my gf had already taken the liberty of washing my hood for me. when i took a closer look, there were huge deep swirl marks on my hood. i asked my gf what the hell happened and she said it wouldn't come off so she had to exert a bit a force.. i was like what!!!! anyways... to make a long story short, how the hell do i get these damn swirl marks off my hood. my car is brand new and i haven't even gotten my plates for it yet. i spent the whole night trying to use the 3m hand glaze to get it off, but it's still there!!! there also seems to be blotches where the crap was, and i 'm not sure how to get that off without making everything worse. i've just order the 3m swirl remover and several other products to try and remedy this problem. if nothing works, do you guys recommend me taking it to a detail place to buff out the swirl marks?? if i were to do this, how much do they usually charge?? and do you guys recommend me doing this since i barely got my car 2 weeks ago? argh... not only do i have a swirled up hood, i also have a gf now who is trying to make me feel guilty for making her feel bad. this is seriously a bad day :sad: any suggestions?? any detailing shops in LA, CA??

oh.. my ride is a 2002 jet black e46
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:58 AM   #2
mfino
I give up.........

My Ride: 00 323i SP-P blk/blk
You can use 3m Imperial Hand Glaze, and then hit the hood up with a fresh coat of wax to seal it in. Black is going to be hard to maintain, but it looks the best when it's clean. The 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, I find works extremely well, You can pick it up at any Auto Parts, PepBoys, Autozone, etc.....Hope that helps, and let me know how it works.

ECIS Intake | Shark Injector | Scorpion Exhaust | PG2 style rims, YOKOHAMA AVS ES100 235/40/18 | M3 Lip Spoiler | OEM Clears | Hamann Eyelids | M-Technik Front | M-Technik Sides | M-Aero Rear | 50% Tint | M3 Dead Pedal | MOMO Aluminum Pedals | UUC Gauges |Titanium Shadow Painted Trim
mfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 07:31 AM   #3
andy 323i

My Ride: a gas guzzler
Send a message via AIM to andy 323i
it is so new

Go to a pro shop ad get it buffed out

andy 323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:36 AM   #4
BimmerSamster

My Ride: 04 M3
Send a message via AIM to BimmerSamster
forget it...black will always get swirlies

Can't help it...it's inevitable..

i have a black 330ci stick and it has swirlies in the sun no matter WHAT chemical u use..(although I heard zaino is good..never tried it)..

actually one day i wanted to be REALLY anal, and I put 3 consecutive layers of glaze on with about 10 minutes of time between and the swirlies were almost gone...but alas, glaze is only temporary (although I did put past wax on top , it still didn't last a month..swirlies came back...)

it's inevitable, so don't think too much of it...

and besides, you shouldn't get too upset at your girlfriend, she was only trying to help..

it happened to me too, but displaying my "enthusiast" side to non-enthusiasts only makes look like i'm very anal and shallow..
(people don't understand why i park a million miles away at the far corner of mall parking lots to avoid dings...)

the only place i can show my enthusiast side is with my ***** friends and over here at the e46fanatics forums...
BimmerSamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 10:57 AM   #5
obLu

My Ride: 330cic
3m glaze isn't abrassive.

It's a filler. If it really bugs you take it to a body shop, they'll buff it out. But understand they'll have to take off some clear coat to do it.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:58 PM   #6
JetBlackE46
Modded

My Ride: E36/E46 M3 E46 323
the same thing happened to me. i used eagle swirl and scratch remover....it really works! the only thing is...that after about a week, you can see the swirl marks again...then you have to use it again.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:03 PM   #7
e30
CARLESS

My Ride: bmw e30
Send a message via ICQ to e30
if that's the worst day of your life... you're lucky.

i want an e46 ... but my brother's will satisfy me for now.

my e30 got wrecked on 13/06/02... RIP
e30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 01:35 PM   #8
sgv321

My Ride: 328
worst day of your life? you gotta be kidding, good for you tho.. life could be A LOT tougher.
sgv321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 02:46 PM   #9
David328Ci
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch

My Ride: Pimpin '99 Sentra X(
Send a message via AIM to David328Ci
Maybe it's time to get carbon fiber hood? Turn lemons into lemonade.
David328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 05:38 PM   #10
calvin

My Ride: Infiniti FX35 AWD
Send a message via AIM to calvin
hey dave.. i'm not sure if you remember me..

but i'm geoff's friend who used to drive the purple integ. i also help will bring his accord down to HIN in SD last year and i crashed at your pad. i drive a e46 now
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 06:21 PM   #11
halsugs
ACS Fanatics

My Ride: 2001 330ci
just swirls??

hehe youll live im pretty sure

But if u cant try zaino it really works!!
Old 05-08-2002, 06:29 PM   #12
Dinan3XI
Boy Racer

My Ride: 996 GT3
Send a message via AIM to Dinan3XI
Just try to buff it out, if it doesnt work have a professional deatiler give it a shot. Hey at least your gf was trying to be helpful and clean the car for you, its the thought that counts and even though she may have messed up and trust me I would be pissed too, at least she tried. Most girlfriends wouldnt even touch bird crap for their boyfriends(specially on their car). My advice would be have a professional detailer try to get it off for you. Good luck bro.
Dinan3XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:27 PM   #13
trkmedic69
Abominable Ho-Man

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Send a message via AIM to trkmedic69
apologize to GF... she was just trying to help...........
Old 05-08-2002, 09:32 PM   #14
sp330i
Go fast Daddy!

My Ride: 330i
Buy 2 products -

Meguiars paint cleaner

Meguiars polish

Use the paint cleaner until you remove all bird poop remnants. It may take several applications.

Then use the polish to get rid of the swirl marks. Again, it may take several applications. If that doesn't work, then you may be left with professional help.

BTW, you must be using a 100% cotten towel for the application and another for the removal of the products. Otherwise you may be just adding to your problem as opposed to solving it.
sp330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 10:11 PM   #15
playinJ30
The Achiever

My Ride: WB SC 328Ci & 545i
Send a message via AIM to playinJ30
might i suggest the zaino bros. treatment!??!

playinJ30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 11:27 PM   #16
Freestyler

My Ride: 325i SP LP OBlue
Cool similar thing to me with seagull crap

I use a product call IBIZ cleaner wax, it removed dried on bird crap off my hood and sides. Plus it removes swirl marks from so-called detail shops.... and it made my ride finish look like glass water... My car is Orient Blue and I gotta put up with the those seagulls daily. Price for living near the beach.

Admit Nothing
Deny Everything
Make Counter Accusations
Freestyler is offline   Reply With Quote