E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2002, 01:25 AM   #1
328iSC

My Ride: 1999 E46 328i
Question What do the audio experts think of this setup?

I'm new to subwoffers, so after taking measurements, reading the posts, and doing some research here is the setup I came up with. What do you think?

Goal:
I need some bass to compliment the HK system. I do not need ground shaking bass, but would like to be able to hear it outside the car about 3-5 feet away. I want to minimize weight and trunk space.

Setup:
1) 12 inch JL Audio 12W3v2. I'm going with this one to save money, The W6 and W7 is out of my budget.
1) 300 watt 2 channel JL Audio amp. Should be sufficient to drive the 12"
1) Custom made SEALED box to fit speaker recommendations from JL Audio's web site. My dimensions are: 15"H X 23"W X 10"D
Speaker facing in cabin through ski hole.

Suggestions please!! I'm just looking for some clean bass, not anything that will attract attention from 2 blocks away. I thought about the Stealthboxes, but heard they rattle the rear deck and they sound "hollow".

Detail makes the Difference!!
328iSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:20 AM   #2
Pmmeke
modder fokker

My Ride: E46/E92M3/E60 525d
Send a message via ICQ to Pmmeke
how

how are you going to connect the amp to the HU unit?

If you take audio signal from the rear speakers you are going to get a low pass signal from the hk amplifier. Tell us the set up and calbles stuff
Pmmeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 03:27 AM   #3
HaN-hAn

My Ride: E46 Coupe
what JL amp is it? Some JL's are able to take the balance diff. signal... so u'll have to be clearer. If it is an older or lower end model u'll have to do what pmmeke said and try and take the signal from a point in the OEM setup.

HaN-hAn
HaN-hAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 10:27 AM   #4
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
Re: What do the audio experts think of this setup?

And you don't think a 12" woffer won't rattle the rear deck? I'd highly suggest dynamatting/sound deadening the rear deck even with your proposed setup, as rattling is NOT a stealthbox-specific issue.

As for hollow - if you mean they don't get as low as a 12, you're absolutely right. It all depends on the type of music you listen to and if you're looking for sound quality vs volume.

Since you're going w/ pretty much an all JL setup, your system should still sound really sweet.

As for the JL amps taking a balanced dif - I'm pretty sure all of them do, even the cheapest ones (relatively speaking, the 250/1).

Quote:
Originally posted by 328iSC
Suggestions please!! I'm just looking for some clean bass, not anything that will attract attention from 2 blocks away. I thought about the Stealthboxes, but heard they rattle the rear deck and they sound "hollow".
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 11:49 AM   #5
328iSC

Thanks Guys!

I'm not sure about this signal thing you speak of, this is all new to me. What do you suggest? A higher end amp or taking the signal from the stock head unit? The amp I was referring to was a JL Audio 300/2. Will the 250/1 be sufficient or should I step up to the 500/1?

I was planning on installing it myself but I may to get an audio shop involved about this signal thing.

Thanks!

Old 11-05-2002, 01:47 PM   #6
fuschnicken
][D ][ ][V][ ][D

My Ride: Breyton 3
Send a message via AIM to fuschnicken Send a message via MSN to fuschnicken
If you've not comfortable or knowledgable to do the install, definitely get a shop to do it for you.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:50 PM   #7
328iSC

Quote:
Originally posted by fuschnicken
If you've not comfortable or knowledgable to do the install, definitely get a shop to do it for you.
I may get them to do just the wiring. I would like to custom fabricate the box installation and amp placement myself.

Old 11-05-2002, 01:54 PM   #8
fuschnicken
][D ][ ][V][ ][D

Quote:

I may get them to do just the wiring. I would like to custom fabricate the box installation and amp placement myself.
Good idea. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:10 PM   #9
e_one09

My Ride: M Three
Quote:
Thanks Guys!

I'm not sure about this signal thing you speak of, this is all new to me. What do you suggest? A higher end amp or taking the signal from the stock head unit? The amp I was referring to was a JL Audio 300/2. Will the 250/1 be sufficient or should I step up to the 500/1?

I was planning on installing it myself but I may to get an audio shop involved about this signal thing.

Thanks!
I would suggest you to use Jl Audio 500/1 to power those two subs. I believe that each sub is capable of handling 300 W continuous power handling.
e_one09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 02:19 PM   #10
fuschnicken
][D ][ ][V][ ][D

Quote:
Originally posted by e_one09

I would suggest you to use Jl Audio 500/1 to power those two subs. I believe that each sub is capable of handling 300 W continuous power handling.
I think he's going with just one 12" subwoofer.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:28 PM   #11
e_one09

My Ride: M Three
Quote:
Originally posted by fuschnicken

I think he's going with just one 12" subwoofer.
Oops my bad. Then Jl 250/1 is more than enough.
e_one09 is offline   Reply With Quote