E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
molson

My Ride: '01 325i
5x112 on an E46? Gary?

I have a friend getting rid of some Merc. wheels and was wondering of there is such thing as a bolt pattern adapter? There is a bit of a "mystique" about adaptors, and I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to how they work - or dont work. Thanks a lot.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
Munky

My Ride: too old for this BS
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
I have a friend getting rid of some Merc. wheels and was wondering of there is such thing as a bolt pattern adapter? There is a bit of a "mystique" about adaptors, and I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to how they work - or dont work. Thanks a lot.
I have yet to see any BMW adaptors. I feel that because you have so many choices for rims that fit, there is little need. You will also run into problems w/ offset. On cars like newer VW's, the Stock offset is in the low to mid 30's, so adding a 25mm adaptor to a high offset wheel (Porsche wheels are a common swap/They have an ET50-55) is much more feasible. On our Bimmers, we have an ET40 stock, so we simple don't have the room to spare. BTW, most MB's are Et35 so w/ an adaptor, you would be looking at a modified Et of 15.

You could have a set custom machined, but I feel the headache for custom adaptors (about $500 a set) and fitment problems make it easier to buy a correct set of wheels.

Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
doubleloseven
Slave of Barbri

My Ride: 2002 330i
bmw = 5x120, never seen a 5x112 to 5x120 adapter
Old 09-18-2005, 08:24 PM   #4
molson

My Ride: '01 325i
Very good information. Sometimes a good deal turns into more of a headache then anything. I think there was a guy on here selling some wheels - and he was running a BMW to VW adapter, thats the only instance I have really heard about adapters.

Now I wonder if I could just have the bolt pattern drilled?... hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkinMunky
I have yet to see any BMW adaptors. I feel that because you have so many choices for rims that fit, there is little need. You will also run into problems w/ offset. On cars like newer VW's, the Stock offset is in the low to mid 30's, so adding a 25mm adaptor to a high offset wheel (Porsche wheels are a common swap/They have an ET50-55) is much more feasible. On our Bimmers, we have an ET40 stock, so we simple don't have the room to spare. BTW, most MB's are Et35 so w/ an adaptor, you would be looking at a modified Et of 15.

You could have a set custom machined, but I feel the headache for custom adaptors (about $500 a set) and fitment problems make it easier to buy a correct set of wheels.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:31 AM   #5
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
I doubt you'll find a way to make them work, sorry.

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote