E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
GarthLL

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330ci
Rubbing Problem help!

i have a 2004 330ci with sports package and i just put new 18" M3 rims on. i having big time rubbing problems on the inside of my fender espeically when going over bumps. the wheel is 9" wide and the tires are 255/40/18 in the rear. anybody have any experience with similar problems or have any advice? im thinking of either trying to find a 245/35 tire for the rears or possibly rolling my back fenders. im pretty hesitant to roll my fenders since i wouldnt know if it would make a difference until i had it done. please help me figure this out
Garth
GarthLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
Munky

My Ride: too old for this BS
OEM M3 rims are ET25 in the rear. A normal e46 needs an ET 40 or greater. I am afraid you are in for some trouble trying to get them to fit. even w/ a 245 and a fender roll, you still will rub. The only way to do this to get the rear jacked up high enough to not come in contact w/ the fenders. I have seen it, but its far from the look most people want.

Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
GarthLL

so i guess i would be better off selling these rims then since im SOL?
Old 09-18-2005, 08:20 PM   #4
Munky

Just scroll back a few pages in this forum and you will see the same question over and over. I am not telling you to sell them, just research your question. I seem to remember a silver CI that has them on there and he said he rarely rubs. do a little digging.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
GarthLL

ive done a ton of research in the past week or so. i just seem to get different information from everybody out there. i think my next step is to try a smaller tire...
Old 09-18-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
OR, try and sell the rear ones, and buy two more front ones so you can run 4 front M3 rims. That will work.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:07 PM   #7
M3LTDOWN

My Ride: Range Rover on 22's
Send a message via AIM to M3LTDOWN Send a message via MSN to M3LTDOWN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrivea328I
OR, try and sell the rear ones, and buy two more front ones so you can run 4 front M3 rims. That will work.
Good point David...
Old 09-18-2005, 09:58 PM   #8
GarthLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrivea328I
that is a good idea. ill make that my last resort since i love how huge and sexy the wide rims look now. im going to try to find a tire that is 255/35/18 or 245/35/18 first and see how that fits.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:25 PM   #9
Munky

I am telling ya, do some research before shelling out for tires that still won't work.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:27 PM   #10
GarthLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkinMunky
I am telling ya, do some research before shelling out for tires that still won't work.
my plan is to go to a local tire shop and see if they will put on either used or new tires and ill see how close the tires come to my fender. i wont spend money without knowing they will work for sure. im just trying to find a way to make these rims work cause i love em!
Old 09-18-2005, 11:52 PM   #11
bluecougar
A bimmer chick moderator :)

My Ride: MB & LR3
changing tire sizes will not work, it's not the tire that makes you rub, it's the aggressive offset the M3 wheels have in the rear...

u need to get rid of these wheels or get rid of the rear ones and buy 2 fronts!
Old 09-18-2005, 11:54 PM   #12
GarthLL

damn thats disapointing, i guess ill have to sell them and find something new...
Old 09-20-2005, 11:11 PM   #13
328idriver
behind blue eyes

My Ride: 328i
Send a message via AIM to 328idriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthLL
damn thats disapointing, i guess ill have to sell them and find something new...

bro- some searching should have yielded you to my thread, about hubface shaving. I can tell you with great certainty that you need to get rid of those rims, the front are fine but that low of a rear et is not going to work. i was in a similar situation, unknowing to me... i was sent the wrong rims in the rear with an et of 20 .. with some good ole 255/40/18's .. well it rubbed and rubbed alot, even after shaving my fenders.. back to the vendor the rims went, after they informed me of there mistake, www.bestwheel.com, after of course i ate the shipping cosst. new rims set to arrive tomorrow.

cliff notes: your rims will not stop rubbing. sell them or get your money back fast. with et of 38 or more imo.

good luck

my set of rims that are coming tomorrow for reference have a et of 38 and a 255/40/18 lowered on zhp springs and shocks wish me luck....

Vouches: Evilkamote,Lewdog,Dpower,UProjektz
328idriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:39 AM   #14
thebighash

My Ride: Z4MC / Sold
you have 2 solutions if you wanna keep M3 wheels:
1) 4 fronts
2) wide-body rear
you might have to sell them afterall and get something better.. sorry to say that

2007 Imola Red Z4MC / Sold
thebighash is offline   Reply With Quote