E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
Lugnut2683

My Ride: Lotus Elise
Send a message via AIM to Lugnut2683
***Photos of our DIY Garage Build***(56k Warning)!

A dream my father and I have had since I was a little kid was to have the ultimate garage. Ultimately, we wanted to have a garage that would have all the necessary equipment and tools to allow us to build our own car. We've restored a car before, but our next project will be to build a 1967 427 Cobra replica. We agreed that we would wait until we had a "true" garage to start building our dream car:

Currently, we have a standard 2 car garage that is pretty small. Since this picture was taken, we have ended up having to use half of the garage for storage of shop and wood tools. We recently finished our basement, so it is no longer a viable space for storing shop tools and doing woodworking! So right now, it's only a 1 car garage, and is dedicated to housing my mom's car, rather than to function as a real working garage. This is another reason for wanting to build a new garage.

Photo of our current garage: (the El Camino is currently stored down by the creek in our barn! )

This thread will photo document the process of building our new garage. We estimate that it will be finished by this December. Since I'm currently at college for my 5th year, I will have to come home during the weekends to help with the build. The only part of the garage build which will be contracted will be the digging and pouring of the foundation. I'm not sure how often I will be able to come home, so my dad will be doing a majority of the work.

We have a New Holland tractor with a Bushog backhoe, and planned to do the foundation excavation ourselves. After some research, my dad decided that it would probably be smarter to have professionals precisely dig the foundation, as it is one of the most important steps in the building process. The company we contract to dig the foundation will also pour the foundation. The rest of the entire build we built by us, without any help from outside contractors. This includes framing, drywall, plumbing, electrical, etc.

At this point, we've already had the foundation dug and poured, so I have some catching up to do in posting photos. Please stay tuned, and I will update this thread continually until the completion of the garage!

DIY Garage Build (Updated November 18, 2009):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297607
Lugnut2683 is offline   Reply With Quote