E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 02:00 AM   #1
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Yoko vs Toyo

I have Yokohama AVS ES-100 on my car for my everyday tires. I put my winters on because I know were just a week or so away from freezing aleady.

My question is has anybody run the Yokos and then changed to Toyo Proxes T1-R? Did you notice a change in tramlining and road noise. The reason I asked is that the tires I have on now are Bridgestone Blizzaks and they resist tramlining comparied to the Yokos and are so much quieter. How are the Toyo's???

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///

Last edited by TitaniumCranium; 10-09-2005 at 02:44 AM.
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:04 AM   #2
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
what about garbage vs. garbage. honestly. i swear by PS2's they are more expensive but they also last twice as long. the difference between these tires and my stock pilot sports was the difference between my stock suspension and h&r coilovers and sways. they are THAT good. it feels like a got new suspension all over again. and they are quieter, smoother, and more comfortable to boot. they are amazing.

Last edited by imolazhp_ci; 10-09-2005 at 02:30 AM.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:03 AM   #3
TeKNiC3

My Ride: 330i.M3.aBox.996TT
Send a message via AIM to TeKNiC3
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci
what about garbage vs. garbage. honestly. i swear by PS2's they are more expensive but they also last twice as long. the difference between these tires and my stock pilot sports was the difference between my stock suspension and h&r coilovers and sways. they are THAT good. it feels like a got new suspension all over again. and they are quieter, smoother, and more comfortable to boot. they are amazing.
Stupid comment.

Do you think that the more you spend on something the better it is going to be?

Have you ever riden on any of these tires he's talking about?

I have had the ES100's, noise? Yes, they're loud, but they've got great grip. The noise factory alone would keep me away from them though.

As far as the T1-R's, very very happy with them, even more so than my Pilot Sports I had prior. I would most likely get them again. Great grip, quiet, and ride is very nice.

So you should what the hell you're talking about before making comments like that.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:06 AM   #4
imolazhp_ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister6Speed
Stupid comment.

I have had the ES100's, noise? Yes, they're loud, but they've got great grip.

T1-R's, very very happy with them, even more so than my Pilot Sports I had prior. I would most likely get them again. Great grip, quiet, and ride is very nice.

So you should what the hell you're talking about before making comments like that.
yes. i've had es100's and and toyo's have very bad wearing characteristics. so those are automatically not an options for me. and from what i have checked t1-r's are far more expensive than ps2's. so no. i don't think the most money buys the best product but at the same time....PS2's have lasted me 30,000 miles on this car where as gs-d3's and stock pilot sports lasted 10,000.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:15 AM   #5
TeKNiC3

My Ride: 330i.M3.aBox.996TT
Send a message via AIM to TeKNiC3
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci
yes. i've had es100's and and toyo's have very bad wearing characteristics. so those are automatically not an options for me. and from what i have checked t1-r's are far more expensive than ps2's. so no. i don't think the most money buys the best product but at the same time....PS2's have lasted me 30,000 miles on this car where as gs-d3's and stock pilot sports lasted 10,000.
I have not yet had any problems with either tire other than what I've stated. I have never heard of Toyo's having bad wearing characteristics.

PS2's are great tires, no doubt.

Kind of strange how the PS2's lasted you 3x longer than every other tire you used though. Don't you think that could be because of your alignment or the way you drive? PS2's have a treadwear rating of 220. Same as the original PS, not sure about the goodyears though, I think the Yoko's were the same 220 as well. Toyos have a treadwear rating of 280.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:35 AM   #6
imolazhp_ci

i spoke with michelin regarding the treadlife because i thought it was strange as you did and they said the PS2's have 1 3/4 times the tread depth of most tires. that is why they last so long and are a bit pricey.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:30 AM   #7
Giodog2000

My Ride: 323i 2000 / 528i 98
I run the T1-R's ... A little noisy but they are nice . I suspect they will last a little less then my kumho,s I had before but I also think it is because they stick much more . So , I don't know much about tires but whoever said I don't like them because they wear out too fast is not looking for performance . BTW , I love them in rain .
Old 10-09-2005, 07:11 AM   #8
Funfgang

My Ride: 07 s8,04 gt3
Bridgestone Potenza S03 pole positions all the way...they have saved my life a good couple times already..
Funfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:27 AM   #9
my330ci04

My Ride: 04 330 ci, 06 650i
I have ES 100 on a stock set of M68's that I have and they seem to be very good. I use my stock setup when I take long trips instead of my 19's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister6Speed
Stupid comment.

I have had the ES100's, noise? Yes, they're loud, but they've got great grip. The noise factory alone would keep me away from them though.

As far as the T1-R's, very very happy with them, even more so than my Pilot Sports I had prior. I would most likely get them again. Great grip, quiet, and ride is very nice.

my330ci04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:37 PM   #10
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

The thing is with these ES100's that they tramline like nothing I have driven before. I was beggining to think I had some bad front end wear that was causing this until I put the Blizzak's on. It's been about 15+ years since they've done any major rework of the interstate system in Washington and the ruts are deep, will drive you crazy. I like grip, grip is good, but the tire has to be managable too. Having to stay so on top of driving because at any given second you could literally change lanes for a moments laps in concentration isn't much fun, especially when a different tire, that grips as good or better but with a better design and quiet too... well that would be a big plus.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
Old 10-09-2005, 08:51 PM   #11
imolazhp_ci

if you want a tire that grips amazing and is VERY quiet nothing beats the PS2.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #12
rayxi

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium
The thing is with these ES100's that they tramline like nothing I have driven before. I was beggining to think I had some bad front end wear that was causing this until I put the Blizzak's on. It's been about 15+ years since they've done any major rework of the interstate system in Washington and the ruts are deep, will drive you crazy. I like grip, grip is good, but the tire has to be managable too. Having to stay so on top of driving because at any given second you could literally change lanes for a moments laps in concentration isn't much fun, especially when a different tire, that grips as good or better but with a better design and quiet too... well that would be a big plus.
You are comparing a high performance summer tire with a winter tire. More than likely your Blizzaks aren't as wide as your Yokos so tramlining isn't going to be as much of a problem. You need to compare two tires of the same size to draw any conclusions about tramlining tendencies.
rayxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:57 AM   #13
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayxi
You are comparing a high performance summer tire with a winter tire. More than likely your Blizzaks aren't as wide as your Yokos so tramlining isn't going to be as much of a problem. You need to compare two tires of the same size to draw any conclusions about tramlining tendencies.
I agree the rubber is different and so is the tread pattern. BUT the tire dimensions are exactly the same, staggered 17/225/45 up front and 17/245/40 in the rear on M68's.

Don't get me wrong about traction on these BAD boys, the Yoko's grip like frikin super glue. But since I've had some time on the Blizzaks now I can say for certain that it's the tread pattern/rubber compound of the Yoko's possibly along with sidewall stiffness that turn this tire into a semi dangerous monster to control, at least on our freeways. The blizzaks are very well manored. I'm not exagerating one bit about this but the tramlining is so bad on the Yoko's that it will pull like mad even on the areas where all they did was lightly scrape the paint off the roadway when they routed the road in a slightly different angle. You literally have to purposely steer against the 1/2" x 10" wide groove in the pavement when you hit one of these areas or you will be inadvertantly changing lanes. At least they're predictable. Definately not to my liking. I would imagine they'd be fantastic for tracking the car though.

/// MODS
Old 10-12-2005, 01:58 AM   #14
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

After some amount of research I'm probably going to go with Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. These seem to have the highest rating of about any tire including Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's I've found. The important areas to me in order of presidence are wet adhesion, resistance to hydroplaning, noise, dry adhesion. Largely because 80% of my driving is freeway commuting related and we only have about 90 days of sun a year (on average).

Anybody that's run GS-D3's against Pilot Sport PS2's let me know you're thoughts, and or the Yoko's against these tires.

PS - I'm generally not a fan of Goodyear, I lean more toward Michelin but there are quite a few overwhelming write-ups out there that suggest the Goodyear is a superiour tire.

/// MODS
Old 10-12-2005, 02:02 AM   #15
imolazhp_ci

for wet tractions look at BFG kdw2's and they are super cheap. and they have far better wet handling than gs-d3's. i've never been a fan of gs-d3's.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:22 AM   #16
rayxi

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
I agree the rubber is different and so is the tread pattern. BUT the tire dimensions are exactly the same, staggered 17/225/45 up front and 17/245/40 in the rear on M68's.
I stand corrected. Most winter setups are as wide as you have in the back. Do you find that the rear of your car floats on the snow with 245s?
rayxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:04 PM   #17
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayxi
I stand corrected. Most winter setups are as wide as you have in the back. Do you find that the rear of your car floats on the snow with 245s?
This will be my first year on this setup. I'll let you know. I don't think it's going to be that weird, it's only about 3/4" different in width from the front.

/// MODS
Old 10-16-2005, 12:02 AM   #18
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
This will be my first year on this setup. I'll let you know. I don't think it's going to be that weird, it's only about 3/4" different in width from the front.
What the Hell is a WINTER Tire? lol. Sorry, gotta go adjust the A/C.

GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 12:21 AM   #19
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c
What the Hell is a WINTER Tire? lol. Sorry, gotta go adjust the A/C.

I used to live in Lauderdale so I know where your coming from... Up here, about as far away as you can get from FL, before you cross into Canada, it gets cold. :burr:

/// MODS