E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2005, 10:22 PM   #21
BDB325xi

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31
Get a full face unless you like rearranging your face on the steering wheel.

What about the shoulder harness? Also doesn't your car come with a air bag? If you hit something that hard you might bite the wheel, the aibag will hit you first.
BDB325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:48 PM   #22
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
As for the shoulder harness, belts stretch as does the human body.

As for the air bag, if you're going to rely on that, why have a helmet at all?

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:50 PM   #23
Red_wagen

My Ride: ZHP
Send a message via AIM to Red_wagen

Got it here...

www.stableenergies.com

Previous:
2007 Mystic Blue 530i
2003 Gray Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Nice guys finish last.
And I'm a very nice guy...

-Jay

[IMG]Under construction[/IMG]
Red_wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:48 AM   #24
Scott_H

My Ride: '03 320Ci
I'm a die hard Arai fan, put one on, the late model ones have a fantastic fit and are super light (some of) and IMO they dont look as "noob" as the Bell ones.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:28 PM   #25
leej323

My Ride: '00 323i
I hate to sound like I'm putting my own life on a budget, but Arai helmets are a bit too expensive for me at this point. I'm still considering Bell or Pyrotect.
leej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:55 AM   #26
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leej323
I hate to sound like I'm putting my own life on a budget, but Arai helmets are a bit too expensive for me at this point. I'm still considering Bell or Pyrotect.
If you want high quality at a budget price, get a G-Force.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:59 PM   #27
leej323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31
If you want high quality at a budget price, get a G-Force.
Noted.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:59 PM   #28
TwoE46s

My Ride: Dinan 330ci & 325it
A couple more thoughts on the subject.........I have a Bell M3 by the way.

Get one that is fitted properly, by someone that knows how to fit you - a poorly fitting helmet can cause you serious injuries.

Light weight is much more important than you think. You're adding weight to the top of you head, that's being subjected to much more G-loading than you are used to. If you expect to start doing a lot of track time, make the investment in a lighter helmet.

Some driving schools do not accept motorcycle hemets, as they do not have the fire retardent properties that SA rated helmets do that are more important in a car, which is the main reason cycle helmets are cheaper.

Think about getting a balacalva (nomex hood), they may make you a bit warmer, but they keep your helmet cleaner, as well as better protect you from fire. If you are going to wear one, wear it when you get fitted.

I'm all for full face helmets, but there has been much publicity recently (I beleive through the SCCA) that with an airbag equipped car full face helmets may actually be more dangerous than full face. It has something to do with the bag againts the front of the helmet breaking your jaw I think. For me, I accept this added risk, as I think overall a broken jaw is better than other hazards, again, particualrly fire, and as I do have Schroth harnesses, I belive that I may be held back better from the airbag deployment as well, but I have nothing but my own common sense telling me that. In any case, check with the santioning body of the events you plan to attend to see if they are limiting air bag cars to open face helmets.

Neck braces certainly seem to make sence, and I just bought the Sparco Anotomic as it seems to be the most subtantial brace available. But they are no substitue for a HANS - however, it seems (this is striclty personal opinion again) that the airbag would provide some additional protection (and maybe substantial protection) in a serious head on collision in conjunction with the neck brace, as well as the harnesses. It wouldld be nice to see some tests in this area, as so many people now take part in open track / drivers ed events.

There is a huge difference in the quality of safety gear - Sparco and Stand21 are tops - look what the pros wear. You can add Bell to the list for helments, and I have a lot of respect for Bill Simpson with both Simpson and Impact (his new company) products.

I think you can find SA2005 rated helmets now, so SA2000s will be cheaper, but you'll loose 5 years of use.
17X8 BBS RXs & 225/45 Toyo Proxes 4s
Coupe:(sold)
Dinan "S" plus Throttle Body & Stg 3 Software
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
UUC Shifter
UUC Underdrive Pulleys
Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on factory M Double Spoke 68s
Track Stuff - 17X8 OZ SuperLeggeras & 235/40 Toyo RA1s; Shroth Harnesses

Last edited by TwoE46s; 09-27-2005 at 02:05 PM.
TwoE46s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:29 PM   #29
leej323

Good info. I'm waiting for more SA2005 helmets to surface. I can't find any currently.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:15 PM   #30
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoE46s
I'm all for full face helmets, but there has been much publicity recently (I beleive through the SCCA) that with an airbag equipped car full face helmets may actually be more dangerous than full face.
This was caused by someone over reacting.

The panic was a result of a feasibility study concerning using airbags in F1 cars. The study results absolutely should not be construed as applying to production cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoE46s
There is a huge difference in the quality of safety gear - Sparco and Stand21 are tops - look what the pros wear. You can add Bell to the list for helments, and I have a lot of respect for Bill Simpson with both Simpson and Impact (his new company) products.
I generally agree with this except for three things.

1) While I've long been a wearer of Bell helmets (one saved my life) I would not likely own one again because of point 2.

2) I've found the G-Force to be better quality than the Bells I've owned, at a better price, and Kevlar to boot! (SA only)

3) As for Stand 21, I'd read this thread first:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=224322

I'd SERIOUSLY recommend reading that before buying a Stand 21.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:31 AM   #31
RANE2001

My Ride: 745
only helmets I have and will ever own are the ARAI helmets. great comfort and top quality.yes they are a little expensive, but then again do you want a $100 helmet protecting your skull?

RIP E31
RANE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:09 AM   #32
leej323

I decided on the Pyrotect model. Got it with the iridium faceplate so I don't have to wear sunglasses inside.

The fit is perfect; no pressure points and it stays in place. I bought it from here: http://www.thebellstore.com/. Got on the phone w/ one of their sales reps and he answered all my questions regarding fitment, Snell specifications, etc. A positive experience and I'm looking forward to my next driving event!
Old 10-20-2005, 01:27 AM   #33
STALKER

My Ride: 2003 M3
I have a Bell M4, very good helmet for the price.