E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2002, 11:17 PM   #1
miata168

will dealer install my M3 steering wheel for my 330i?

I live in Bay Area, and anyone knows which dealership is willing to install the steering wheel for me, and how much would I expect?
miata168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:34 PM   #2
halsugs
ACS Fanatics

My Ride: 2001 330ci
uhhh

try installing them urself?

It doesnt hurt to learn new things

but i dont live in so cal sorry dunno:sad:
Old 05-10-2002, 11:10 AM   #3
ucbsupafly

My Ride: '08 135i
Send a message via AIM to ucbsupafly Send a message via Yahoo to ucbsupafly
Sure they would, but you just gotta pay. Expect them to charge you 1-2 hours of labor. You are better off installing it yourself. It's really not that hard. I can walk you through it if you need help.

"If the car feels like it is on rails, then you are probably going too slow." - Speed Secrets
ucbsupafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 11:28 AM   #4
kghaynes
Autobahn Addict

My Ride: Touareg...sold:330ci
Send a message via AIM to kghaynes
Re: will dealer install my M3 steering wheel for my 330i?

Quote:
Originally posted by miata168
I live in Bay Area, and anyone knows which dealership is willing to install the steering wheel for me, and how much would I expect?
Not a hard DIY. Get a long socket wrench for leverage! My SP wheel was way overtorqued and took a while to break free.

SORRY, WEBPAGE DOWN!

kghaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 11:52 AM   #5
emi323i
E46 Pioneer

My Ride: none
yeah dude.... DIY.... 15 - 30 minutes.. make sure and disconnect the battery.

emi323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 11:58 AM   #6
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

My Ride: 2011 335is
Send a message via AIM to vinnymac
DIY...it's very easy...

here's a link to the procedures...

http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_M3_Wheel.htm

Make sure you have a breaker bar to get that center nut off. It's on there very tight!
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 01:35 PM   #7
trkmedic69
Abominable Ho-Man

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Send a message via AIM to trkmedic69
While I agree that it is a simple and short DIY - I was also considering having the deal install my M3 wheel... When I get it.

Reason being - liability. Sure I can slap it on and it should work. But if I install it myself and the airbag doesn't work in an accident or deploys prematurely when it's not supposed to - BMW sure isn't going to cover it. They'll have a pretty easy time proving my 00' 323 didn't come with it and I'll have no paperwork saying they installed it.

If it is a 20-30min DIY for me as an unexperienced non-mechanic, I would assume it would be no longer for a BMW Technician. Thus I would not expect any dealer to charge me for 3-4 times what it actually takes... I would suggest asking to watch or just going to another dealer (fortunately I have 5-6 around me).

So assuming the moons align properly and I can find a willing dealer who will charge according to what it actually takes, I think I might spend the ~$40 to have the BMW dealer do it....
Old 05-10-2002, 01:43 PM   #8
kghaynes
Autobahn Addict

My Ride: Touareg...sold:330ci
Send a message via AIM to kghaynes
Quote:
Originally posted by trkmedic69
Reason being - liability. Sure I can slap it on and it should work. But if I install it myself and the airbag doesn't work in an accident or deploys prematurely when it's not supposed to - BMW sure isn't going to cover it. They'll have a pretty easy time proving my 00' 323 didn't come with it and I'll have no paperwork saying they installed it.
The Airbag scared the holy heck out of me...but I followed the DIY instructions...especially the battery part! The OBDII computer does a continuous diagonostic of the airbag circuits when you start the car and during operation...if there were any problems with that circuit the SRS light would have come on and I'd have gone to the dealer. So far, nothing. So as far a liability goes...my $40K car should tell me there is a problem BEFORE an incident, not afterward during a lawsuit. Counterpoint is that the ODBII system wasn't giving you proper feedback as you 'faithfully' expected it to...after all, it was designed and mandated to tell you when things are broken!

(just remember UPLUG THE BATTERY before doing anything with the steering column)

SORRY, WEBPAGE DOWN!

kghaynes is offline   Reply With Quote