E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2005, 08:09 PM   #1
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
DIY: Painting Amber Bulbs (56k Warning)

Purpose: Remove the “egg yolk” effect.

Supplies:

High Temp Spray Paint

Masking Tape

String

Rubbing Alcohol
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

Steps:

Take a small strip of masking tape, and tape off a section of the amber bulb near the base. This allows for the amber light to shine through, while still maintaining the new anti-egg yolk look. Once completed, finish taping off the bottom of the bulb to prevent paint from making contact with the connector.

Next take a piece of string approximately a foot long and tape that to the taped off connector. The reason behind this is to allow the bulbs to hang freely when drying once painted.

The next thing to do is clean the bulbs with some rubbing alcohol. After handling them so much from taping, you don’t want any oils from your hand on the bulbs.

Once the bulbs have been taped, stringed, and cleaned, it’s time to begin painting. Place some newspaper on the ground and place the bulb on top of that. Hold the can approximately 1.5-2.0 feet away from the bulb, and spray very lightly. You only want a thin coating of paint. My first attempt led to disaster. I put too much paint on the bulb, and it started to drip and bubble. I tried cleaning off the paint, but it took half of the amber coating with it. Chances are I will simply buy another bulb (cheap), and try it again. The other bulbs turned out perfect though. Just remember to only spray lightly, and rotate to get an even coating.

After you paint each bulb, hold it upright (bulb at top, connecter at bottom) and let it air dry for roughly 30 seconds. Once you’ve done that, it is now safe to hang the bulb on something to finish air-drying.

Let dry for a few hours, and then remove the tape carefully. I would then let them dry a few more hours just to be safe. Then all that is left is reinstalling the finished bulbs.

So instead of paying roughly $40.00 USD to buy a whole set of bulbs (i.e., Polaris), you can spend $5.00 on the paint and do it yourself. Remember, if you mess up you can always buy new ambers cheap, or if all else fails, you’re out $5.00 and go ahead and buy yourself some aftermarket bulbs. It’s well worth the $5.00 investment if it works out for you.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

Before:

After:
Old 10-14-2005, 08:12 PM   #4
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Awesome Brian, good job

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
Surk

My Ride: C Blk E46///M3
Awesome DIY... Did mine a few yrs ago and worked great...
Old 10-14-2005, 08:31 PM   #6
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
good diy - just a heads up - they come out a lot darker than the silvervisions. I just tried for comparison sake.

but obviously its a cheaper mod.

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 01:28 AM   #7
jeffreywai

My Ride: 330ci
can u post how the lights on your car looks? really curious.. what it ACTUALLY looks like..... great DIY though..
Old 10-16-2005, 03:44 PM   #8
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreywai
can u post how the lights on your car looks? really curious.. what it ACTUALLY looks like..... great DIY though..
Sure

Last edited by Penguin Koolaid; 10-16-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:55 PM   #9
tblue3cibm

My Ride: allroad / Hayabusa
How's the light ouput?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:35 PM   #10
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblue3cibm
How's the light ouput?
Not as bright as stock, but still visible. I might go back and scratch off some more paint from the bulbs, but for the mean time it works well.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #11
valenti

My Ride: Rated M
what you could do is on put like 2 small pieces of masking tape on the sides of bulb before you do this.. so the light can shine through those parts
Old 10-21-2005, 06:22 AM   #12
Yellowmann
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?

My Ride: AA SC Y2K 323i
Send a message via AIM to Yellowmann
Just to let you all know that at first everyone DIY silvervision including myself but over time I found out that bulb contact and holder started to corrode. This ended up causing more $$$$ spent. I just got these bulbs instead and now I don't have to worry about dash light flickering cause of the bad contact. The new bulbs is much brighter too.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297351

http://www.yellowmann.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20

Charlie

Once A Yellowmann, Always A Yellowmann ...One Who Is Wise - Always Learn From Other People's Mistakes ...One Who Thinks That They Can Never Be Successful - Will Never Be Successful ...First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again ...
Yellowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:05 PM   #13
rana

My Ride: 04' 320i, 03' 745Li
I just did this to my bulbs as wel...i even left more of an "orange" part by covering more of the bulb with painters tape....

the side bulbs came out fine and the light output is great...

but the light output on the front corner bulbs is reduced dramatically. I find this more of a safety concern than anything else..

So tommorow, Im going to take the stock bulbs and try again or just order the silvervisions from bimmian...
Old 10-29-2005, 09:21 PM   #14
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblue3cibm
How's the light ouput?
garbage - by silvervisions or LED blinkers.
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:30 AM   #15
Nuori
_

My Ride: A 323 mule pepe
Great write up and this is how I did mine. It's good enough for light out put. The person behind you isn't going care how bright your amber bulbs are, really. Painting them doesn't risk any safety. Sure other bulbs are brighter, but it's not worth the $30+ bucks for the person behind you.

Last edited by Nuori; 10-30-2005 at 01:32 AM.
Nuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:55 AM   #16
rana

My Ride: 04' 320i, 03' 745Li
i guess its just me...but I like my bulbs to be nice and bright...

At first I was also contemplating why anyone would buy "silver" bulbs when you could do it at home....now I know.

Im ordering mine as we speak.