E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2002, 03:56 PM   #1
pouano4162@hotmail.com

Exclamation First Time Oil Change

Anyone know where the oil drain plug and oil filter is located at? I've never done this before. Is there also a collapsible washer that goes with the oil drain plug?
pouano4162@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:03 PM   #2
Karl
Engineer

My Ride: 2001 330xi
If you have a RWD car, the oil plug should be located behind a small door in the lower engine cover. If you have an AWD car, the entire engine cover has to come off. The drain plug is a single (I believe 17mm) bolt and a brass washer, that faces sideways towards the passenger side of the car. This creates the problem that the oil will spill out at considerable velocity once you get the plug out, so be sure to account for that by moving the drain pan to catch a strem that lands a good 6-8 inches from where the plug is. When you purchase an oil filter kit from your dealer, you will get a replacement brass washer for the drain plug, as well as a filter and a filter housing seal. The filter housing is located at the top of the engine, next to the thermostat (black cylinder, almost looks like a power steering reservoir), at the front. The top screws off, either with a really big socket or a monkey wrench, and the filter will come out (it is attached to the top). The filter housing seal is also located on the top, you'll need a screwdriver or fingernails to get it off.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 04:21 PM   #3
Steel Gray

My Ride: 325 Ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Steel Gray
Do a search, someone posted a very decent write up with good pics of everything.
Steel Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 04:45 PM   #4
mladrow

My Ride: 2002 330i
By-the-way, I don't have the hatch door on my '02- I seem to recall someone else saying the same thing. You can see that it's designed to have a door- but no door on it!

Mark
Old 05-10-2002, 09:59 PM   #5
emi323i
E46 Pioneer

My Ride: none
you need a 36 mm socket

to open up the cover for the oil filter.
emi323i is offline   Reply With Quote