E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 10:05 PM   #21
byunts

My Ride: '06 330i
you guys rock! I never even thought to look at wal-mart. I checked like 3 other stores and nothing prior to wal-mart. $1.66 for a set of 2 t-taps.
byunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #22
bvnmspt

My Ride: E46 M3
I know that this thread is old, but I had something to add...
You don't need the fuse on the area that I high lighted. The interior light is already fused and therefore, this fuse will be redundant. You can save couple of buck here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring harness.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	112927  

Last edited by bvnmspt; 02-23-2005 at 11:55 AM.
bvnmspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:00 PM   #23
BrandonClaps

My Ride: 04 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to BrandonClaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvnmspt
I know that this thread is old, but I had something to add...
You don't need the fuse on the area that I high lighted. The interior light is already fused and therefore, this fuse will be redundant. You can save couple of buck here.
everything in your car is fused, unless you go directly to the battery.... it is still a good idea to use its OWN fuse
BrandonClaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:50 AM   #24
rc_bimmer

My Ride: nice german car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeser09
A couple of people asked about the wiring harness thing for their ebay CCFL kits. I sketched a pretty ugly diagram that shoes a wiring harness with integrated remote trigger (requires a SPDT relay).

To install - you can use one of these DIY's (it's the same as installing a Wheelpower kit) in conjunction with mine:

Jake's install DIY

Picture of the ECU trigger wire]

Removing headlights

I think there's another DIY out there that was pretty good too, but I can't remember the link.
Maybe it's an old question but what's the point of relay? I wired my kit directly to the ECU with rocker switch inside to control it. It has worked fine for a month now. Should I re-wire it with the relay method? Will I get a problem later on if I don't use relay?
rc_bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:39 AM   #25
bvnmspt

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_bimmer
Maybe it's an old question but what's the point of relay? I wired my kit directly to the ECU with rocker switch inside to control it. It has worked fine for a month now. Should I re-wire it with the relay method? Will I get a problem later on if I don't use relay?

Take a look at this site...
http://www.1728.com/project3.htm
Old 03-15-2005, 02:29 PM   #26
rc_bimmer

My Ride: nice german car
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvnmspt
Take a look at this site...
http://www.1728.com/project3.htm
thanks for the link. quite a electricity lesson. But if I wired the kit to auxilary wire inside ECU instead of connecting to battery directly. I assume stock auxilary wire should already have relay and fuse to control the current thru them, right? In that case, should I still need a relay?
rc_bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:51 AM   #27
abigfire

My Ride: '01 330i, '01 M5
Send a message via AIM to abigfire Send a message via Yahoo to abigfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_bimmer

I don't know what a rocker switch is, but I thing the relay is so that you're not powering the lights with juice going to the ecu. The power to the ecu only trips the "switch" in the relay so that you get the primary power from the battery. Plus the relay will let you do that secondary interior lighting switch too.

'01 330i - sold! ...way too cheap...
'01 M5
abigfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:25 PM   #28
Tichx

My Ride: BMW 323i SE
Diode Circuit

I take it the diode circuit diagram which is much simpler and does not require a relay can also be used for the CCFL's 4300MCD of ebay?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmdriver
Here's what the circuit looks like using diodes. I also posted pictures of a DDE ring running with and without the diode in line. Same exposure, f-stop, etc. Can you tell which is which?
Harmon Kardon - Retrofit
CSL Saloon Bootlid - Installed
Bi-Xenon/Angel Eyes - Installed
MFSW/Cruise Control - Retrofit
19inch RS Futura Alloys - Installed

Tichx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:25 PM   #29
trickydik_1

My Ride: stanced
Send a message via Yahoo to trickydik_1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmdriver
Here's what the circuit looks like using diodes. I also posted pictures of a DDE ring running with and without the diode in line. Same exposure, f-stop, etc. Can you tell which is which?
Thanks for the info very simple very clean very straight forward , dont need relay and all that other crap! And like you said this is safer since diodes only let current go one way
Old 11-07-2005, 02:26 AM   #30
hhuynh14

My Ride: 325ci
hey guys... im new at this forum sutff... I found that the attach drawing was a helpful thing, but it was hard to read... so i redrew it and hope it can help others...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	relay instructions.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	152395  
hhuynh14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:57 AM   #31
Atlas

My Ride: 320i
Send a message via ICQ to Atlas
My eBay CCFL kit draws its power from the parkers wires. IE. it plugs straight into where the parker bulb was.

Can i still use this diode method?

I also noticed that my passenger and driver side angel eyes are independent and not wired together at all.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:21 AM   #32
Atlas

My Ride: 320i
Send a message via ICQ to Atlas
Well I went ahead and tried the diode method... and it worked!

The hardest part was removing the glovebox and putting it back. Now I know where I can thread wires through lol

However, it appears that my eBay kit doesn't fade =( It only goes on or off... bugger!
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:09 AM   #33
///MACHINE

My Ride: is an immigrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuynh14 View Post
hey guys... im new at this forum sutff... I found that the attach drawing was a helpful thing, but it was hard to read... so i redrew it and hope it can help others...
image doesnt work
Old 08-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #34
///ACS330Ci
Artist formerly k/a Steve

My Ride: ACS/M-Technik 330Ci
Send a message via ICQ to ///ACS330Ci Send a message via AIM to ///ACS330Ci
What sardar said
Old 10-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #35
newbimmerguy04

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Xi
T-taps

Quote:
Originally Posted by byunts View Post
Does anyone know where I can purchase t-taps like the 3m brand shown in the picture?
I just bought a pack of 4 pairs this morning at Wal-Mart for $1.99.
newbimmerguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #36
thefys

My Ride: 325XI
Picture for wiring is dead... repost?

The picture below is dead. Repost?

hhuynh14 ******** type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_3471268", true); *********>

My Ride: 325ci
View My Garage

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by thefys; 11-13-2007 at 09:35 AM.
thefys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #37
samroberto

My Ride: 2003 bmw 330i
DIY worked really well!!!

I panicked at first because my T-Tap actually didn't make contact with the wire, it just pinched it. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK ALL YOUR WIRE CONNECTIONS before you start to panic ....
samroberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #38
tice123

My Ride: 2003 325i
Guys, thanks so much for all the time you've spent on this. I've been reading all the threads on these DDE's for like two weeks, and this one was probably the most helpful.

One question, I've been thinking that it would be fun to be able to regulate the brightness of the DDE's with a little dial (potentiometer) I'm just learning about this stuff so I'm not quite sure how to tell how many ohms my potentiometer should be. Does anybody know how to figure this out?

I have the white light LED angel eyes from DDMtuning.com. They don't come with ballasts, only a relay harness.

So we know that the line is 12v, and I took a multimeter to the line between the relay and the LED's while it was on to find out the amps. I had it on the 200m setting and it said 7.2 for one side.... so is that 7.2 mA? (.0072 amps?) so it seems like the total mA for both sides would be double that - 14.4 mAs.

I talked to an electrician guy at a hobby shop though, and he thought that this number didn't make sense since, according to him, one LED bulb draws about 20 mA's... and there are numerous bulbs in each halo ring. Furthermore, he said that a an LED is either on or off, it can't fade... but this doesn't make sense to me if the dome lights are able to fade the DDE's on and off through the remote wire..

So, does anybody know how many amps or milliamps the DDE's really do draw (both sides together) and if this little effort is even possible? (can LED's be regulated with a potentiometer?) If so, what specs should I look for on the potentiometer (dial).

If i can just find the right potentiometer, it would be so easy to hook up I think, and it would be nice to turn it down if I don't want to blind people when I'm just parked chilling in a parking stall, but still want them on (these things are BRIGHT!)

Anything else I should look out for? I don't want to break anything. dsmdriver, you seem to know about electronics - do you have any input on this?
tice123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #39
BIG MEXICAN WEINER
Banned

My Ride: 2000 328i stock :)
i thought the angel eyes come with this kit for the remote control ??? can any one help ?? i saw some angel eyes on ebay for like 50 bucks.. dollars of course ... do i have to do this step and buy everything a side from led angel eyes from ebay or does everything come included ??????
BIG MEXICAN WEINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #40
Mavricxx

My Ride: 2003 330i
What size T-Taps did you use? I went to the auto parts and they had different gauge ones.
Mavricxx is offline   Reply With Quote