E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2005, 09:10 AM   #1
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

My Ride: See Sig
Question about Roundel Removal

I have searched thru the forums and came across the following instructions:

Use small flathead screwdriver - wrap in cloth or use credit card so that the paint does not get scratched. Slide screwdriver under the roundel at 3 and 9 o'clock positions and pull the roundel out carefully.

My question though is regarding the grommets... when pulling out the roundel do these grommets get detached from the pins and if so then do I need to be extra careful and catch these before they fall into the engine bay area?
Also when putting my new roundels on (I bought some replacement CF roundels) will I slide the new roundel on first into the holes and then connect the grommet to each pin on the back side of the hood and trunk lid?

Thanks,
Navin

BMW Individual Atlantis Metallic Twin Screw S/C'ed 2000 323i

SPONSORED BY: BBS | Modbargains | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts.com | Race Apeel
Navin323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
deutsch325

My Ride: xi
The grommets might or might not come out with the roundel, it doesn't matter, just pull them out with pliers if they stay in there. When replacing, new grommets go in first. Check out this DIY http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...30-Roundel.htm
Old 11-08-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch325
The grommets might or might not come out with the roundel, it doesn't matter, just pull them out with pliers if they stay in there. When replacing, new grommets go in first. Check out this DIY http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...30-Roundel.htm
Hey,
I actually printed out that tech article on pelicanparts.com prior to posting my question here.

But I'm still confused even after reading the tech article... are you saying that the grommets are capable of sliding thru the holes? I was under the impression that only the pins were capable of sliding thru the holes but that the grommets were too big to slide thru the holes.

SPONSORED BY: BBS | Modbargains | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts.com | Race Apeel
Old 11-08-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
nodoubtpunk

My Ride: '99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin323i
Hey,
I actually printed out that tech article on pelicanparts.com prior to posting my question here.

But I'm still confused even after reading the tech article... are you saying that the grommets are capable of sliding thru the holes? I was under the impression that only the pins were capable of sliding thru the holes but that the grommets were too big to slide thru the holes.

The gromments can't fall through cuz it has a lip, so you don't have to worry about the gromments falling out. search bavauto.com for the gromments and you'll see what I'm talking about. Hope this helps..
nodoubtpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
deutsch325

My Ride: xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubtpunk
The gromments can't fall through cuz it has a lip, so you don't have to worry about the gromments falling out. search bavauto.com for the gromments and you'll see what I'm talking about. Hope this helps..
Old 11-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubtpunk
I think I'm starting to understand now... "deutsch325" mentioned that the grommets get put on the pins first, therefore the grommet should be able to slide thru the holes, however since the grommets have a lip then that prevents the grommet from sliding all the way thru the hole, right?

In other words, the grommet lip lies in between the back of the roundel and the hood for example, right?

Old 11-14-2005, 01:56 PM   #7
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch325
Hey, I wound up replacing my roundels with no problems. When I pulled the old roundel out the grommets stayed in the hood and trunk lid. I didn't remove these grommets and just left them in there. I then took my new CF roundels and pushed them into place. I hope this is okay. They seem like they're securely on there.

Old 11-14-2005, 07:18 PM   #8
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
The grommets should be ok. I think if you were taking off/putting on the roundels alot, a new set of $.62 grommets would be in order.

A tip I'll pass along about removing the roundels. I have seen a case where someone used a screwdriver and put a small dent in the hood. Even with the screwdriver wrapped. What a detailer friend told me to do was use a heavy duty packing tape. Take 2 pieces about 12" long and fold each in half lengthwise, taping it to itself so to speak. Slip an edge of the tape under the roundel at the top and the other piece at the bottom. Pull both ends up together and the roundel pops right off without any risk of damage. Neat trick that works well.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:43 PM   #9
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb
The grommets should be ok. I think if you were taking off/putting on the roundels alot, a new set of $.62 grommets would be in order.

A tip I'll pass along about removing the roundels. I have seen a case where someone used a screwdriver and put a small dent in the hood. Even with the screwdriver wrapped. What a detailer friend told me to do was use a heavy duty packing tape. Take 2 pieces about 12" long and fold each in half lengthwise, taping it to itself so to speak. Slip an edge of the tape under the roundel at the top and the other piece at the bottom. Pull both ends up together and the roundel pops right off without any risk of damage. Neat trick that works well.
Excellent tip.

I wish I had gotten this tip before I removed my roundels. I did put a very small nick mark on my front hood roundel near the "W" because of the screwdriver (I used a very small flathead wrapped in a cloth with a credit card laying flush against the roundel). Oh well, I don't plan on reusing my old roundels so it's not too big of a deal.