E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-2005, 03:14 PM   #1
ShaShaSha

My Ride: 2004 M3 Cabrio
Lightbulb New Double Din Install With Vent Modifications

I have finished install my Kenwood Double Din and thought I would post some pictures of the install. I modified the vent system a bit different than others since I was having issues with adhesives and I felt it also needed to be serviceable. Thus, I have add some pictures of the vent modification. If anyone has any questions just ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tray.jpg
Views:	6832
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	155370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tray01.jpg
Views:	6727
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	155371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tray02.jpg
Views:	9126
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	155372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tray03.jpg
Views:	8652
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	155373  

Name:	Radio.jpg
Views:	8545
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	155374  
ShaShaSha is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
ShaShaSha

More pictures.........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Radio01.jpg
Views:	6559
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	155376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio02.jpg
Views:	6911
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	155377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio03.jpg
Views:	6620
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	155378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio04.jpg
Views:	6600
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	155379  

Old 11-28-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
digitalsin

My Ride: 01 M3 Imola Coupe
Dude, that is AWESOME. How is your air flow? I cut my ducts about 3 months ago and still haven't fabricated something permanent yet, but thats a great idea. You wouldn't happen to have measurements or a template to make that would you. Nice job.

One question though....how does the plexi hold up against high heat coming through those ducts. I would think it might warp over time.

You did make sure to put your ducts in the open position before cutting the control bar out didn't you?

Great job!
digitalsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
ShaShaSha

My airflow seams to be fine. I have been using the heat in Chicago since the weather isn't even for the birds. I used Lexan since it has greater flexibility than regular Acrylic. Thus, I do not think the heat will be an issue. If it is I will just fabricate a new piece using thicker material. The concept and idea remain. Make it serviceable.

I tried numerous adhesives (5 or 6). Anything from Epoxy, 3M plastic, Epoxy Clay, Silicone, etc. The issue was always the same. Think of it like a ice cube tray. If the tray does not flex the cubes remain locked in place. Twist the tray and the cubes fall out. That is exactly what happened with the adhesives. I test spotted the adhesives to check adhesion before spending time otherwise. This to me seemed to be the best solution. In addition, it was fairly easy to fabricate and install.

As far as the ducts go I cut the control arm and then removed it from BOTH ends. Thus, I would not have to worry about the cut pieces getting stuck on anything. The vents I removed. Then I drilled a series of holes through them and put them back in the closed position. Thus, I am letting airflow through them. It is just restricted by how many and what size hole you drill. It is a happy medium since you do not have to make a choice to only have it on or off.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:07 PM   #5
SrCsTc
Banned

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc
You did a really Nice Job indeed! Great idea on the vent mod. That seems like the best way to go imo.

-Rich
SrCsTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
ShaShaSha

Thanks Rich..... The bezel you fabricated fit awesome and certainly saved me a whole bunch of time.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:26 PM   #7
SrCsTc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaShaSha
Thanks Rich..... The bezel you fabricated fit awesome and certainly saved me a whole bunch of time.

Thank you, I'm glad you like it.
One thing about your install is that you can put it back to stock fairly easily if you wanted to.

-Rich
Old 11-28-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
Ron@Streeteffectz

VERY nice indeed! Always nice to see excellent craftmanship
Ron@Streeteffectz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:10 PM   #9
Mapleleaf

My Ride: E46 4-door Sports
This is the ONE THREAD i needed as I am about to change to 2-din soon. One question : I am in Singapore, and I willl NEVER need the heater. Would my mod be easier? e.g. simply removing something and throw it out?
Mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:17 PM   #10
SrCsTc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleleaf
This is the ONE THREAD i needed as I am about to change to 2-din soon. One question : I am in Singapore, and I willl NEVER need the heater. Would my mod be easier? e.g. simply removing something and throw it out?
No, because you'd have to remove the dash to do that. It's easier to just do the vent mod.

-Rich
Old 11-28-2005, 07:17 PM   #11
Mapleleaf

Hi ShaShaSha,

What is the Kenwood model? I can't find one that is fully black in Singapore.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:37 PM   #12
Jeff 330CI

My Ride: 330CI
Nice.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:08 PM   #13
Mapleleaf

SrCsTc,

I don't mean throwing out the whole heater set-up. Can I just terminate the vent or whatever piping there - like cut it away and just seal off the ends. I will also dislodge the wire to the heater switch so that the heater will not be activated.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:21 PM   #14
Yellowmann
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?

My Ride: AA SC Y2K 323i
Send a message via AIM to Yellowmann
Wow that is great work on the custom housing for the vent area. Also Rich's trim is always top notch.

Charlie

Once A Yellowmann, Always A Yellowmann ...One Who Is Wise - Always Learn From Other People's Mistakes ...One Who Thinks That They Can Never Be Successful - Will Never Be Successful ...First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again ...
Yellowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:31 PM   #15
NickACS
BOOM!

My Ride: TWC E46 ETCC WB
Install looks great.. thanks for the pics! And Rich, your piece is awesome as always
NickACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:52 AM   #16
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
That is a great idea!

When there is pressure in the system, do you have any leaks?

What dampers get affected exactly and what do they serve? What are the consequences to bolting the closed/open?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:55 PM   #17
rcurley55

My Ride: 2001 IR M3 Coupe
That looks so nice (prays Alpine releases double din at ces)

I can't remember what exactly that arm is that goes across and needs to be removed - what does it do and why can't we mod that to make it work around that plexi cutout - seems like there's still space between the heat exchanger and the plexi?

rcurley55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:06 PM   #18
lthsa

My Ride: e46 m3
Wow, that looks awesome.
Actually, I'm gonna have a double-din setup like you very soon but I'll have an eclipse radio though.
Although I'm not a person who has good mechanical knowledges like you, I'll try to install it myself.
I'm pretty sure about to modify that airvent stuff but I don't have any ideas for factory wires that which wires are for speakers, a speed sensor, a power and etc.
If I could get that wiring info, I might be able to get the double-din done by myself.
Any hepful info will be very appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by lthsa; 11-29-2005 at 01:10 PM.
lthsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #19
ShaShaSha

The Kenwood model is an 8017.

As far as the vent modification. It definately would be easier to modify the vent than disable the heater. The issue is not with the heater. The issue is SPACE need to fit a double din. Thus, if you want to install a double din the IHKA housing must be modified. The biggest trick is planning and patientce.

The arm controlls the opening and closing of the floor vents. I suppose it would be possible to fabricate a new arm except the vents do not have the clearence for opening and closing once the IHKA hossing is modified. Therefore you will nedd to make a decesion on what to do with the floor vents. Whatever decision you make, remove the arm from both ends to minimize problem in the future.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:18 PM   #20
ShaShaSha

Ithsa, The link below is a good starting point for how the factory system is put together and what colo codes the wires are.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=245914