E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
SinCityE46

My Ride: it gettin a makeover
Unhappy DIY: start button woe

after followin the instrustion to install the S2000 button. i found that my car start in the 2nd position by it self(w/o pushin the button). i thought it might be the relay but when tryin other brand of relay the problem was still there. i think it might be the button, so i'm gettin another one. has this happen to anyone please let me know.

here my set up:

under the steerin wheel - Black/blue wire goin to 87a and jumpin to 86
Green wire goin to 30

on the relay - 85 goin to the prong 1 on the button

start button - 2 prong +12v
3 prong ground
SinCityE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #2
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
I don't know how the switch works, but the relay is definitely wired wrong. From your description, you have essentially connected the start and ignition wires together.

Did you cut the black/blue wire, or just tap into it?

The green wire (ignition) needs to go to 87 (normally open contact).

The black blue wire (starter) needs to go to 30 (relay common contact)

Nothing should go to 87a (normally closed contact), unless you cut the black/blue wire.

Don't know if the switch is proving 12 volts or ground to the relay when pushed, so not sure what 86 (should be): either ground or go to green wire for power.

Make sure that the wire gauge you are using to go to green and black/blue wire in therelay matches or exceeds gauge of factory wires, if not, your car could go up in flames if you use a small gauge wire and the insulation melts.

If you are tapping into the green wire to power up the switch as well, make sure you install a fuse. If you don't have a fuse and the wire shorts, you could again have a fire hazard.

Not trying to scare you, but would hate to hear from a fellow fanatic posting a thread titled "my car just burned up to a crisp" As long as you do things properly, you should be fine. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, then pay someone else to do it. Although it might be hard to find a car stereo shop that would even agree to do this mod, $50, $100 or even $150 is really not a bad investment. If the car catches on fire, they are responsible for it and their insurance company would cover it. If you do the work and total the car, who knows if you insurance company would agree to pay for it.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
SinCityE46

my bad......i typed it up wrong...

green is going to 87 jumpin to 86
black/blue is going to 30
85 is going to start button

none of the wire is are cut, just tap into it.
i triple check it again and the car still starts in the 2nd position

ca1242 do you have anymore insight....i'm going to take pics and maybe if i have more time a vid clip
Old 12-04-2005, 02:36 AM   #4
SinCityE46

Here's the tappin of the wires under the steerin wheel
Attachment 156123
Here's how the wires are connected to the relay
Attachment 156124
I don't believe that I'm doin anything wrong with the wiring, so it just might be the start button or the car just has a mind of it's own

Last edited by SinCityE46; 12-13-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:57 AM   #5
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
If you disconnect the white wire that goes to the start button, does everything work normally? The relay is hooked up correctly, so either you have a bad relay (seriously doubt it), or connected the switch incorrectly (most likely).