E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2002, 03:25 PM   #1
hamann99
X-Hamann99

My Ride: 323i->350Z->87 325is
Send a message via AIM to hamann99
Tech Question with rotor removal

I don't knwo whatz goin on, I've used a rubber hammer and smacked the crap outta the rotor, won't budge to come off, is there another nut that I need to remove, I've removed the 6mm hex nut that secures the rotor on there, but is the itme in the middle of the rotor of any use to secure the rotor on the hub?????????

Any fool can drive in a straight line
hamann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-12-2002, 03:48 PM   #2
MarvelPhx
www.my330i.com

My Ride: E92335i,04ZHP,99M3
Send a message via AIM to MarvelPhx
You just have lots of rust. The nut in the center is to remove the entire hub (which you don't need to do).

Try spraying some penetrating oil in the joint between the rotor and hub and keep whacking away... it will eventually come off.
Old 05-12-2002, 04:12 PM   #3
roundel3er

My Ride: 05 e46 M3
I see your jack stand behind the rotor and that you aren't using the jack points in front of the rear wheels. What point on the car is the jack stand supporting?
roundel3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:21 PM   #4
mmmpowr

My Ride: '01 M3, '04 R1
Is your parking brake set?

That looks like the rear rotor. The rear rotor uses a drum brake setup. If it is disengaged, all you need to do is tap the backside of the rotor with a rubber mallet and it should pop off.
mmmpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:38 PM   #5
hamann99
X-Hamann99

My Ride: 323i->350Z->87 325is
Send a message via AIM to hamann99
Quote:
Originally posted by roundel3er
I see your jack stand behind the rotor and that you aren't using the jack points in front of the rear wheels. What point on the car is the jack stand supporting?
The rotor is off now due to a friendly advise from a buddy of mine. It was the ebrake.

Now as for your question the jack stand behind the wheel si to hold my caliper up so it won't put pressure on the brake line. I'm using the stock jack pointin the rear. I would use the differential, but the problem is that my dual exhaust pipings are in the way and there's no way I could jack it up. I have to do one wheel at a time, trust me I've tried the idea of blocks, but the pipings won't allow me to work with it.

Any fool can drive in a straight line
hamann99 is offline   Reply With Quote