E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2002, 02:22 AM   #1
mattman

My Ride: 2010 Nissan
Exclamation 5th Gear Acceleration

All..

in Step mode, I put it to 5th gear around 80mph... i floor it (full throttle) and the RPM hovers around 2600) and doesn't increase... dropping down to 1/2 throttle slowly increases the RPM.

Is this normal?

In Automatic, around 75mph... knowing that i'm probably in 5th gear, 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.. doesn't increase the rpm past 3000 until I floor it and it goes into "kick-down" mode.

Sound weird or is this normal?

Please help!
MattMan
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-12-2002, 02:37 AM   #2
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

My Ride: ASA ACS 3.0 Cabrio
I dont have a step, but for 5spds, if your in 5th and u accelerate from RPM below 2500, it'll be extremely sluggish because the gear ratio/engine speed isn't enough to create enough torque to pull the car. thats why u accelerate very slowly even if you floor it.

Same thing can be applied to a 5 step.
lilherc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 02:39 AM   #3
mattman

So what I'm saying sounds normal? How do you then accelerate quickly in 5th gear without shifting down? At what RPM or speed do you recommend being at 5th gear?
Old 05-12-2002, 02:45 AM   #4
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

My Ride: ASA ACS 3.0 Cabrio
under normal driving conditions, say accelerating, I upshift from 4th to 5th at around 3500 to 4000. But during performance driving, you can take it all the way up to redline then upshift to 5th. If you find your self in 5th and less than 3000RPM. Then it's proly best to down shift to 4th or 3rd even to get that extra punch in acceleration. THats just me, everyone have different driving styles. Its what makes you feel comfortable or exhilarating!
lilherc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 02:51 AM   #5
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
Quote:
Originally posted by mattman
So what I'm saying sounds normal? How do you then accelerate quickly in 5th gear without shifting down? At what RPM or speed do you recommend being at 5th gear?
I say starting at 90-100mph?

I rarely have it in 5th on city streets, unless it's a very long blvd. I usually drop a gear and stamp gas to engage the kickdown when at highway speeds. or if not enough room to floor it, I double down to 3rd and engage about 3/4 accelerator. I got my revs upped with the dinan performance software, and can hit 60 in 2nd at redline, so i try to judge from there, most times, stamping gas will get me where i'm, going without touching the step until I let off on the pedal letting the computer upshift the gears if the way is clear. I always drive in 'M' mode. the shiftlag has been lessened with the Dinan Performance Software. I just got the Dinan transmission software, and am in an evaluation stage. this is supposed to make shift lag even shorter....we'll see. sofar, it doesn't shift me down to M1 when at a stop, which others tell me it does on the older 323 and 328 with analog pedals. not the drive-by-wire of the new cars. I wanna call Dinan and get the dirt on what the heck is supposed to happen.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 05-12-2002 at 02:58 AM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 03:09 AM   #6
big bad jon
Secret Asian Man

My Ride: 2k2 Jet Black 325Ci
from what i understand, the kickdown mode was to downshift, so in essence, you are going back to fourth to gather up some more RPM so that u can shift to 5th and get some more acceleration like that...
but i may be wrong, but that's what i was led to understand...
Old 05-12-2002, 03:13 AM   #7
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

Quote:
Originally posted by big bad jon
from what i understand, the kickdown mode was to downshift, so in essence, you are going back to fourth to gather up some more RPM so that u can shift to 5th and get some more acceleration like that...
but i may be wrong, but that's what i was led to understand...
that's what it does, but it will drop it to the lowest gear that speeds dictate.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
Old 05-12-2002, 03:18 AM   #8
mattman

I thought Kickdown doesn't work in Step (M) mode..
right?
Old 05-12-2002, 03:21 AM   #9
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

works just fine

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
Old 05-12-2002, 03:23 AM   #10
mattman

Quote:
Originally posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau
works just fine

maybe I'm not understanding...

I have it in M mode (let's say M4).... when and how does kickdown work? Maybe i'm not understanding what it is..
What is exactly kickdown and who controls it? I thought it was the computer automatically shifting down for you... but if you are in M.. most of the shifting is manual.. (unless you are slowing to a stop and it'll downshift for you)

?
Old 05-12-2002, 03:33 AM   #11
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

Quote:

maybe I'm not understanding...

I have it in M mode (let's say M4).... when and how does kickdown work? Maybe i'm not understanding what it is..
What is exactly kickdown and who controls it? I thought it was the computer automatically shifting down for you... but if you are in M.. most of the shifting is manual.. (unless you are slowing to a stop and it'll downshift for you)

?
Steptronic is still an sutomatic transmission it will downshift gears as speed drops, in any mode.
"kickdown" engages when you floor the pedal, you will feel the small differences in resistance right before the pedal is fully depressed. That difference is the "kickdown" sensor that tells the computer to downshift. You determine kickdown mode, if you don't depress the pedal all the way, the car won't downshift, and you'll be stuck in a high gear with low rpms, wondering where the power is. The bmw is designed very well for driver ergonomics. Make sure you can floor the pedal the way you are sitting. I don't sit all lounged like in my other rides. BMW's are made to make you drive.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
Old 05-12-2002, 03:38 AM   #12
mattman

Quote:
Originally posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau

Steptronic is still an sutomatic transmission it will downshift gears as speed drops, in any mode.
"kickdown" engages when you floor the pedal, you will feel the small differences in resistance right before the pedal is fully depressed. That difference is the "kickdown" sensor that tells the computer to downshift. You determine kickdown mode, if you don't depress the pedal all the way, the car won't downshift, and you'll be stuck in a high gear with low rpms, wondering where the power is. The bmw is designed very well for driver ergonomics. Make sure you can floor the pedal the way you are sitting. I don't sit all lounged like in my other rides. BMW's are made to make you drive.
That's why I think I have a possible problem... refer to problem above..
Under M using Step (M5) 5th Gear... going about 75mhz.. I floor it (FULL THROTTLE).. and there's NO "kickdown". It just hovers around 2500-2600 RPMs.. Only when I have it at 1/2 throttle.. will there be some increase in RPMs.

So are you saying that in M 5 mode, when I floor it.. it should AUTOMATICALLY shift down to M 3 or M 4? If so.. .I have an issue. Kickdown works in Automatic (D and S D) modes..
Old 05-12-2002, 03:42 PM   #13
mattman

Quote:

That's why I think I have a possible problem... refer to problem above..
Under M using Step (M5) 5th Gear... going about 75mhz.. I floor it (FULL THROTTLE).. and there's NO "kickdown". It just hovers around 2500-2600 RPMs.. Only when I have it at 1/2 throttle.. will there be some increase in RPMs.

So are you saying that in M 5 mode, when I floor it.. it should AUTOMATICALLY shift down to M 3 or M 4? If so.. .I have an issue. Kickdown works in Automatic (D and S D) modes..
Anyone have any thoughts?
thx
Old 05-12-2002, 06:13 PM   #14
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
No it will not do a kick down for you in M mode. M mode explains itself, it is called manual mode, meaning you would have to perform the kick down. To do this, floor it, and while in the process of depressing the gas all the way down, tap back, now you will be in 4th gear, once at the desired RPMs, shift back into 5th, and you have performed a kickdown, it's really not the complicated. Another, more performance technique (DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENDED!!!) is to have it in M mode. And don't tap up or down when accelerating, as the computer will automatically shift at the redline as to not over run the engine. I am not sure how good this is for the car and is the reason i do not do it. Also redline shifting does not always utilize the full potential of the engine....
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:33 PM   #15
mattman

Actually.. I took my car out for a drive today...

When you floor it in M.. it won't do a KICKDOWN unless you press hard against the plastic..

A click will sound and it will KICKDOWN for you..

I tested this and it does do KICKDOWN in STEP M mode.

FYI