E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
nicdog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bucks County PA
Posts: 123
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
engine cover removal

hey, i searched but couldnt find it...how do i remove my engine cover on 330 ci to see if i have bremi or bosch coils for the recall...dealership said recall started with 03 but i know it started with 02 models. please help. thanks
__________________
nicdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:20 PM   #2
leej323
Registered User
 
leej323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 1,739
My Ride: '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicdog
hey, i searched but couldnt find it...how do i remove my engine cover on 330 ci to see if i have bremi or bosch coils for the recall...dealership said recall started with 03 but i know it started with 02 models. please help. thanks
You start out by removing your microfilter housing. It makes reaching the back nut/bolt much easier.

To take out your microfilter, there's 3 twist knobs that keep it secure under the plastic shield. Don't twist too hard, it only takes about a half turn to get them loose. Also, they aren't meant to come out of the holes, so don't keep twisting.

Once you have those knobs loose, the plastic cover should pop up. Take out your microfilter and completely remove the plastic cover by gently pulling outwards. This will expose 4 star screws at the back, which secure the bottom part of the shield to the car. Once you remove those 4 screws, you can take out that entire bottom piece.

There are 4 bolts/nuts securing the engine covers (there's two different ones). Your coils are under the left engine cover, while your fuel rail/injectors are under the right engine cover. The bolts/nuts are under plastic pieces that first need to be removed with a flathead screwdriver. All the bolts/nuts you'll remove using a 10mm adapter.

Hope this helps.
leej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:47 PM   #3
TitanSilber ZHP
Registered User
 
TitanSilber ZHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,926
My Ride: 08 E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to TitanSilber ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to TitanSilber ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by leej323
You start out by removing your microfilter housing. It makes reaching the back nut/bolt much easier.

To take out your microfilter, there's 3 twist knobs that keep it secure under the plastic shield. Don't twist too hard, it only takes about a half turn to get them loose. Also, they aren't meant to come out of the holes, so don't keep twisting.

Once you have those knobs loose, the plastic cover should pop up. Take out your microfilter and completely remove the plastic cover by gently pulling outwards. This will expose 4 star screws at the back, which secure the bottom part of the shield to the car. Once you remove those 4 screws, you can take out that entire bottom piece.


There are 4 bolts/nuts securing the engine covers (there's two different ones). Your coils are under the left engine cover, while your fuel rail/injectors are under the right engine cover. The bolts/nuts are under plastic pieces that first need to be removed with a flathead screwdriver. All the bolts/nuts you'll remove using a 10mm adapter.

Hope this helps.
Skip the "bold" and squeeze a low-pro socket in there.
__________________
| Andrew | M Technik | BMW Performance | 3M | V1 | LUX 5.0 | Bilstein PSS9 | Precision-Sport |



FS: Camera Mount:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=694858
TitanSilber ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
leej323
Registered User
 
leej323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 1,739
My Ride: '00 323i
A lot easier with the microfilter housing out of the way. Especially when it comes time to replace your spark plugs or coils. But it does save some time if you leave it there. Whatever floats your boat.
leej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #5
nicdog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bucks County PA
Posts: 123
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
thanks bros...i also called the dealer and was told the recall started with 03 models...not true since my buddy's recall said 02, 03 and 04. I wanna check for myself.
__________________
nicdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
TitanSilber ZHP
Registered User
 
TitanSilber ZHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,926
My Ride: 08 E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to TitanSilber ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to TitanSilber ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by leej323
A lot easier with the microfilter housing out of the way. Especially when it comes time to replace your spark plugs or coils. But it does save some time if you leave it there. Whatever floats your boat.

Of course its easier to access plugs, ect with it out of the way, Im just lazy
__________________
| Andrew | M Technik | BMW Performance | 3M | V1 | LUX 5.0 | Bilstein PSS9 | Precision-Sport |



FS: Camera Mount:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=694858
TitanSilber ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:35 PM   #7
leej323
Registered User
 
leej323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 1,739
My Ride: '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSilber ZHP
Of course its easier to access plugs, ect with it out of the way, Im just lazy
lol, lazy@$$!
leej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use