E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2005, 11:38 AM   #21
FLVK

My Ride: 2002 330CI Stl Grey
tips for those who want to do this DIY.

a)buy the ADhesive additive to make your dye more "sticky"
b) when use the spray thing, if you use spray paint before then you know how easy it is do spray too much. Be patient, spray lightly, this make require you to do 4 coats so don't be in a hurry to lay a thick one on right away because IT WILL RUN.
c) lay everything down flat so it will lessen potential for RUN. Gravity is your enemy

Hope that will help anyone to make the job easier.
FLVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:00 PM   #22
Asterisk*
Banned User

My Ride: gives me blue balls
Send a message via MSN to Asterisk*
What Adhesive Additive are you talking about? And where to get it? Did you use it?
Asterisk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:52 PM   #23
FLVK

from the same place I bought all my dye material
here it is http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Prod...roductid=LW111

I used on on the 1st coat as instructed. I mixed 2 part dye, one part adhesive
Old 11-19-2005, 08:01 PM   #24
Asterisk*
Banned User

Dang! I missed it somehow!! Now I start to fear that dye will peel. I haven't done my front seats, so I think it's time to order more dye and adhesive. Gotta ask Randy about possible problems. SUCKS!!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:13 PM   #25
FLVK

I think the clear coat at the end is even more important because I did my first dye job 8 months ago without the adhesive and without the clear coat. I experience flaking in areas with a lot of rubbing so I think it is very important to use both the adhesive in the beginning and the clear coat at the end. My head rests as you can see from the pic are near "perfect" and I didn't use either the adhesive or the clear coat.

The only area that suffered visible flaking/ashy was the right near the door handles. I would have never thought opening the door will cause flaking but it did....note I didn't say peeling.....hard to describe but it is like dry skin if you know what i mean.

If it was me, I would apply more than one clear coat at the end and then use the conditioner once a month to keep the leather in good shape and not "dry"...that should do a lot of good in the long run....even so, I am very leary about doing this to my front seats. I need t see some "improvement" on the door panels before I am sold that this will hold up to continuous and frequent "rubbing"
Old 11-19-2005, 10:33 PM   #26
Asterisk*
Banned User

I'll talk to Randy about that on monday. Will let you know.

I quite don't get what you mean by flaking/"dry skin"

Take a pic please.

Last edited by Asterisk*; 11-19-2005 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:51 AM   #27
FLVK

sorry...I am about to head out for a week away but when I return, I will post a pic if I can find it. I remembered taking a pic of the troubled spot a while back before i took the panel out and redo it last week.

I must say, all in all, I was quite pleased of how the dye held up under harsh conditions. I move to Florida with no tint and I was worrying the heat down here will do some damages to the dye job but it didn't..just some rubbing and ashly on a few spots. One of the reason I waited this long to restart and redo the project was to see if the heat will cause some damages before i wasted any more time doing it again.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:00 AM   #28
M3Ed

My Ride: 323i, R33 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLVK
ok..so I got a few requests to post my red dye job. Please keep in mind this is the old one, i have since decided to redo it. I stopped half way because of the move and I didn't like the result. I had to wait until now to find time to redo and finish what i started 8 months ago. Right now all 4 panels are in the dining room waiting for a second coats. I probably won't get around to finish it until Christmas. I will post better pictures of what the final result will be...but here is what "cardinal red" is for those that are curious. I hope the pics will show up
MAN WHY THE HEADRESTS

WHY WHY YOU RUINED YOUR CAR
Old 11-20-2005, 08:58 PM   #29
Asterisk*
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Ed
MAN WHY THE HEADRESTS

WHY WHY YOU RUINED YOUR CAR
:****:
Old 11-22-2005, 11:15 AM   #30
Asterisk*
Banned User

Talked to Randy (from LWT) today. He says AA is used for problem spots - like the ones that rub against each other for example or which are exposed to real heavy usage - like steering wheel. I also asked about Crosslinker. He said it's used to make dye harder. Not sure what exactly he meant, but I think it's like Crosslinker makes dye coat more durable. Anyway, I'm gonna use both on front seats. He said you can do it. I'm pretty much relieved about problem of peeling... And looking forward to finish this project.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:00 PM   #31
FLVK

ok, clear coats on and you can compare this pic to the old pic to see the shine. The 1st time I did with no clear coat and the dye was flaking and cracking so I decided to use clear coat this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	156971