E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2002, 10:19 PM   #1
Salazar

My Ride: 323ci
Send a message via AIM to Salazar
Wut kind of box do you recommend for subs?

I am going to get a system this summer (two 12' JL W3's) and i am trying to see wut kind of box will sound good with it.. I was thinking of some sort of bandpass box where the subs are facing inward towards the car since its going to be in the trunk... or should i just have a custom made one thats just facing outward... i kind of want that smooth crisp kind of bass and not too hard... heres some stuff ive been looking at ebay... tell me wut u think

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1351805279

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1352279343

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1352556933

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1351714074

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1351822849

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-12-2002, 10:25 PM   #2
JACOB NJ

My Ride: 00 540 sport
Send a message via AIM to JACOB NJ
crisp bass...

go with a sealed box.. bandpass will do everything but clean crisp.. it will boom and travel for miles if you want it to sound louder then it is in the car go bandpass . if you want tight bass that will grab you by the throat then go with a custom made sealed box ,, make sure it to specs and get enough power to them dont be shy with power.. you can never have enough
Old 05-12-2002, 10:28 PM   #3
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

My Ride: ASA ACS 3.0 Cabrio
Man, all of those boxes look HEAVY. If your going for the custom box, go with fiberglass. that'll save A LOT of weight.

3 type of boxes.
Sealed box gives you that tight and accurate bass. like classical music, jazz, pop, etc. But tend to need a lot of power to push.

Ported box gives you full, rolloffs, boomy bass. great for R&B, Rap music. Doesn't need much power to make them sound loud.

Bandpass give everything ported box gives plus additional accuracy but controlling the air flow further. It basically is a sealed box and ported box combined. They will sound loud with an ample powered amplifier and will give you great sounding bass with rolloffs.

There is a 4th kind. Freeair. Great for saving weight if you dont want a huge box in ur trunk. They mount directly to your rear dash, or use MDF wood to divide your trunk up and mount the sub there. It uses ur trunk as a box.

But remember, none of these boxes will sound right with your sub if you don't build them to specs. Check your subs specs before beginning construction!
lilherc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 11:01 PM   #4
kC323

My Ride: 2007 BMW 335i
Send a message via AIM to kC323
bass tech...

ive had 2 12' subs facing towards the front of the car, in a custom sealed box. sounded like sh!t, i even cut a hole where the arm rest is.... Why? cause they couldnt breath. flipped them around and boom (literaly)... the way bass travels through your car is totally different then regular speakers, the wave is omnipresent, meaning that you'll hear it and feel it no matter what direction they are placed, unlike components and other speakers, where things like the cars soundstage is involved. ive got 10's now and they hit just as hard as the 12's did, just not as low... Sound is one thing im good at, been doing custom systems as long as i could drive. i really wouldnt waste your money on sub boxes on ebay, go to a local shop and they get you hooked up...

hope this helps some
Old 05-12-2002, 11:03 PM   #5
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

Re: bass tech...

Quote:
Originally posted by kC323
ive had 2 12' subs facing towards the front of the car, in a custom sealed box. sounded like sh!t, i even cut a hole where the arm rest is.... Why? cause they couldnt breath. flipped them around and boom (literaly)... the way bass travels through your car is totally different then regular speakers, the wave is omnipresent, meaning that you'll hear it and feel it no matter what direction they are placed, unlike components and other speakers, where things like the cars soundstage is involved. ive got 10's now and they hit just as hard as the 12's did, just not as low... Sound is one thing im good at, been doing custom systems as long as i could drive. i really wouldnt waste your money on sub boxes on ebay, go to a local shop and they get you hooked up...

hope this helps some
Totally agree!
I had a 15in Solobaric in a 1.5 cubic feet custom box, and powered by only 280 watts. it hits harder and deeper than 2 12s.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:08 PM   #6
Salazar

My Ride: 323ci
Send a message via AIM to Salazar
Quote:
Originally posted by lilherc79
Man, all of those boxes look HEAVY. If your going for the custom box, go with fiberglass. that'll save A LOT of weight.

Ported box gives you full, rolloffs, boomy bass. great for R&B, Rap music. Doesn't need much power to make them sound loud.

Bandpass give everything ported box gives plus additional accuracy but controlling the air flow further. It basically is a sealed box and ported box combined. They will sound loud with an ample powered amplifier and will give you great sounding bass with rolloffs.

There is a 4th kind. Freeair. Great for saving weight if you dont want a huge box in ur trunk. They mount directly to your rear dash, or use MDF wood to divide your trunk up and mount the sub there. It uses ur trunk as a box.

But remember, none of these boxes will sound right with your sub if you don't build them to specs. Check your subs specs before beginning construction!

which one is good for techno??
Old 05-12-2002, 11:12 PM   #7
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

Techno.. Guess you like the hard hitting, deep pounding, long lasting bass notes. Go With a bandpass box and a high efficiency amp. Class D. Their great at turning electricity to sound and gives a lot less heat than other amps.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:12 PM   #8
kC323

Quote:
Originally posted by Salazar

which one is good for techno??

"Nobody listens to Techno!"
Old 05-12-2002, 11:13 PM   #9
bender
hammer talks like this

My Ride: 2006 Honda insight
Send a message via AIM to bender
I only like JL's in a sealed box. Only heard 1 car with JL's in a ported box that sound nice. You can make JL's sound good in a ported only if its a badass custom guy who built it.
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 11:14 PM   #10
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

Quote:
Originally posted by kC323

"Nobody listens to Techno!"

Apparently Moby does!
Old 05-12-2002, 11:18 PM   #11
kC323

Quote:
Originally posted by lilherc79

Apparently Moby does!

He's too old!

Listen to techno in a club not your car...
Old 05-12-2002, 11:21 PM   #12
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

I listen to everything from country to Yoddeling. lol as long as it sounds good. I also listen to techno while i'm driving because i feel the music accompanying me driving. Just gives you that feeling of seclusion, where its only you, the car and the road!
Old 05-12-2002, 11:44 PM   #13
ccaz330CI

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to ccaz330CI
Talking Metal

What type of combination would you recommend for non-easy listening like Metallica, Megadeth, ACDC, and Disturbed?

ccaz330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 11:47 PM   #14
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

Re: Metal

Quote:
Originally posted by ccaz330CI
What type of combination would you recommend for non-easy listening like Metallica, Megadeth, ACDC, and Disturbed?

Rock & Roll... Tight & Accurate Bass. Want to feel those bass guitars. go with sealed. and lots of power!