E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #21
nacho

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
I don't do it, never have, never will!

I have put the old Subaru Wagon and Toyota truck through one but not the BMW. They use towels to dry with scratch and they roll the car out in the sun and it gets water spotted. I love the car too much and want it to look great for a long time, even if it's a hassle to wash it once a week.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #22
myogr81

My Ride: 2k323i
Go to the ones that you drive in, and the spray mechanism moves around the car. No brushes or rollers. Buy the cheapest package, no wax or anything, you just want to get most of the dirt and salt out. Better than leaving all that gunk on the paint and a lot easier when it's cold outside.
myogr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:07 PM   #23
Jojo@DPE
www.dpe-wheels.com

My Ride: is on 20s, 22s, 24s
if i ever go to a car wash, i tell them to wash it offline. so they don't put it through the wash. plus i go to a place on pch in newport where the wash ferrari's, porsche's, and lambos.
Jojo@DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:40 PM   #24
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci

i just did the touchless today - then it rained.

i had some bird sh1t to get off the car anyways.

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #25
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecougar
never ever and never will, hell I wont even go through one if someone paid me!

*my car is too low to go through one anyway
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:53 AM   #26
MITE46

My Ride: 323i
Everytime! This is why only half of my DPEs get cleaned at one time =)
MITE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #27
Vagman

My Ride: E46 325i 5-Speed
I used to do it, they weren't that bad, considering the fact that I am lazy as ****, but then I went through one and the ****ing thing power blasted my front emblem off. It was definetly the car wash too, because I immediately checked to see if the wash had taken some bird **** off of my hood (it didn't) and I then noticed the emblem was 3/4 of the way peeled off. I had to go get a new one at the stealership: $29.95 ****ing bullshit.

BTW I still go through the car wash, because as I stated earlier I am lazy.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:23 PM   #28
AlBoston

My Ride: is blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by myogr81
Go to the ones that you drive in, and the spray mechanism moves around the car. No brushes or rollers. Buy the cheapest package, no wax or anything, you just want to get most of the dirt and salt out. Better than leaving all that gunk on the paint and a lot easier when it's cold outside.

exactly, i never go to the brush car washes tho.
AlBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:46 PM   #29
PYRITE

My Ride: 1965 Ford Mustang
:wavey: roughly 2 times a week, have done it with all my cars, and in the stang took trophies in shows all the time hahaha, maybe its just that I chose a really good one, dunno. I always hit it up with my touch in the end and finish off with Quick Detailer.

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
PYRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #30
gsxr mixxer
Wish it was an M3

My Ride: 03, 325i
i have a 2003 325i with 19" adr m classics..35 series tires. i use the "laser" wash type touchless car wash about once a month. it is totally safe for your vehicle however the only thing you may keep in mind is the life of your wax. in order for the "touchless" car wash to thoroughly clean your car, they must use more potent chemicals than other closh type washers. Whether you get some rims just use the kind that dosnt pull your car through. the one i use you pull up to a certain pont and stop when its done you drive off. one last thing is if you have aftermarket lights the pressure cleaner may cause condensation inside.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:17 PM   #31
gsxr mixxer
Wish it was an M3

My Ride: 03, 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRITE
:wavey: roughly 2 times a week, have done it with all my cars, and in the stang took trophies in shows all the time hahaha, maybe its just that I chose a really good one, dunno. I always hit it up with my touch in the end and finish off with Quick Detailer.
i agree. if you can, bring a absorber or similar to catch stray water beads.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:25 PM   #32
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
I've only been to the car wash so far. I haven't washed it myself. The one I go to is brand new and they do a pretty good job. The whole process takes 1-1.5 hours. The wash takes a couple of minutes but then they take it under a big covered area. Then they detail it. Wipe down, blown dry with a compressor and hose to get the water in the cracks, vacuum. I think it's a deal at $16.

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote