E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #1
tK715

My Ride: MUNI
Send a message via AIM to tK715
Questions about door ding and scratch

I have a black coupe and the ding is just to the right of the gas door. the scratch is minimal, but I am not really sure. The scratch may be just 1/4 of an inch, how would I be able to tell the severity of the scratch?

I washed and did a simple wax yesterday, but the scratch is still there. When I run my finger through the scratch I hardly feel a scratch, depending on the angle that I run my finger. Anyways, where do you guys think I should go to get these fixed? I'm more concerned about the scratch because of the price to repair (if it is severe). Should I try any special detailing on it first (clay, buff, polish, etc...)? Can the place where I get the ding popped out do something to fix the scratch as well? ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by tK715; 01-16-2006 at 12:32 AM.
tK715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:19 AM   #2
palomino

My Ride: e36 328, e46 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tK715
I have a black coupe and the ding is just to the right of the gas door. the scratch is minimal, but I am not really sure. The scratch may be just 1/4 of an inch, how would I be able to tell the severity of the scratch?

I washed and did a simple wax yesterday, but the scratch is still there. When I run my finger through the scratch I hardly feel a scratch, depending on the angle that I run my finger. Anyways, where do you guys think I should go to get these fixed? I'm more concerned about the scratch because of the price to repair (if it is severe). Should I try any special detailing on it first (clay, buff, polish, etc...)? Can the place where I get the ding popped out do something to fix the scratch as well? ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
try a scratch remover, like meguiar's scratch-x.

if you decide to touch-up paint it, theres a product called Langka that flattens out the blob of paint so the touch-up looks perfect. sounds like the langka would be a good solution for your problem.

http://www.langka.com/
palomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
If the scratch is in the clear coat then you can probably buff it out. We generally use the Poorboy's World SSR 2.5 and then follow it up with the SSR 1.0. This is great two step process for removing scratches, oxidation, paint transfer, etc. Each one of these products is only $12.99 so its a cheap investment to fix this problem and any future scratches.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #4
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs
If the scratch is in the clear coat then you can probably buff it out. We generally use the Poorboy's World SSR 2.5 and then follow it up with the SSR 1.0. This is great two step process for removing scratches, oxidation, paint transfer, etc. Each one of these products is only $12.99 so its a cheap investment to fix this problem and any future scratches.

Greg @ Detailed Image
you guys are great.....im going to try this out
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3
you guys are great.....im going to try this out
Glad to hear, let me know if you have any questions or need any help.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-16-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Custom3

Quote:
Glad to hear, let me know if you have any questions or need any help.

Greg @ Detailed Image
After i use the 2 products above....what do you recommend to use after that....like to make it really shiny
Old 01-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Depends on how far you want to take your detailing. If you really want the jaw dropping amazing shine I would recommend these three steps after:

3,) Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze - fills in any remaing imperfections and adds gloss
4.) Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket - a brilliant shine, durable protection, easy application and removal
5.) P21S Carnauba Wax - show car depth and gloss to the paint

If your looking for a simpler process:
3.) Klasse All In One - chemical polish that cleans and protects the paint, gives off a great shine, best one step product available IMO

There are so many different processes that will make the paint look great, those are some of my favorites. Let me know if you would like some more recommendations or clarification on anything I mentioned.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Last edited by Greg@DetailedImage.com; 01-16-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:26 PM   #8
Custom3

thanks....ill be on your site soon to order these....thanks
Old 01-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
tK715

My Ride: MUNI
Send a message via AIM to tK715
Quote:

Greg @ Detailed Image
how can I tell if the scratch is in the clear coat?
tK715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:34 PM   #10
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Sometimes its hard to tell. General rule of thumb is if your fingernail easily catches on it, the scratch is probably through the clear coat. Obviously if paint is missing or its down to the primer then its through the clear. Most fine scratches are in the clear coat and can be buffed out. In the situations where its down to the paint you can still get significant improvement from the two step process I talked about but its less likely to look perfect again.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-18-2006, 09:02 PM   #11
jzar

My Ride: 911, 325xi , SC300
Send a message via AIM to jzar
hey im not really sure what i should do about this and i dont have any pictures yet, but there are white specks on my black paint job on the hood and there is one on the trunk. I think that they are chips from driving on the highway at highspeeds. The car does have high mileage, so it could definately be the problem. The only thing that i see that could disprove this is that when i run my nail across, it catches, but to me it doesnt seem like its a chip, but more like overspray or something from white paint... i don't really know because im no expert and not a professional detailer. If someone has a solution to removing these specks, it would be sooo helpful. I am anal about my car and things like this drive me nuts. someone please help me, thanks
jzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:17 PM   #12
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzar
hey im not really sure what i should do about this and i dont have any pictures yet, but there are white specks on my black paint job on the hood and there is one on the trunk. I think that they are chips from driving on the highway at highspeeds. The car does have high mileage, so it could definately be the problem. The only thing that i see that could disprove this is that when i run my nail across, it catches, but to me it doesnt seem like its a chip, but more like overspray or something from white paint... i don't really know because im no expert and not a professional detailer. If someone has a solution to removing these specks, it would be sooo helpful. I am anal about my car and things like this drive me nuts. someone please help me, thanks
If your fingernail is catching its more than likely something beneath the clear coat. If it's paint overspray it should be above the clear coat. If they are above the surface they should be able to be removed with clay bar or if that doesn't work an abrasive polish will help remove it. Or a little gas based product will help loosen it like WD-40 and Mineral Spirits, but make sure you use a paint safe cloth to remove them. Unfortunately since you say they are on the hood this is a typical location for chips. I would try to get someone else's opinion of what the problem may be before you try too many of these possible solutions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #13
jzar

I used scratchX on the car, when i did the first detailing. It removed about half of them, but some just would not come out, should i think about wet sanding, using touch up paint, and polishing them out? I dont really have all that much money to take it to a pro detailer to get these things done despite the fact that i would love to. thanks
Old 01-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #14
Greg@DetailedImage.com

I certainly understand your situation. Wet sanding is probably a bit much at this point, (to do it right takes lots of different grits, and multiple applications of paint) especially if the marks are just on the surface. The Scratch-X is a light abrasive, so this implies that the marks are on the surface to me. You can try something like WD-40 and wipe carefully with a CLEAN cloth. The gas will help loosen the contamination, but just make sure to clean the area after using any product that has gas in it. My next recommendation would be to get the Poorboy's World SSR 2.5, $12.99.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #15
jzar

I will try the scratchX again this weekend when i wash my car, but if that does not work could you please tell me how the WD-40 works? could you possible explain the process, how much to use, preperation and finishing? thanks