E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
Lee_Davis

My Ride: 2004 330i
Aid in Removal of Dash, Trim, Seats, and Interior

I am installing a carputer [cpu for the car] in my 2004 330i 6 spd man.

Question: WIRE ROUTING from Trunk to Dash

I want to do this job with the detail it deserves. I want to ensure I do not mess up trim/dash,interior while trying to route the cabling from trunk to dash.

Question: Where can I find literature on properly removing back/front seats, dash, trim, carpet, and all things 330i. I don't know exactly how I want to route the wires yet, but I want to know how the pros remove all the components in the car. I also need to be able to put everything back and have it look cherry.

Suggestions.
Lee_Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
SrCsTc
Banned

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc
You should really get yourself a copy of the BMW ETK and TIS software. The TIS software gives you detailed how-to instructions. PM me for more details.

-Rich
SrCsTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
///Mechanic

My Ride: None currently
IMO.......if you can't figure out how to take even a front seat out.......you should leave well enough alone. You are going to drown yourself when you get to removing the dashboard.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
Lee_Davis

My Ride: 2004 330i
As with any project...

I do not form an hypothesis, and then guess/check. I believe in doing a large amount of research before any decision is done. I have gathered many peoples input, but I feel you never gather too much knowledge on any one topic.

"Measure twice, cut once."
Lee_Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
fu98

My Ride: 2002 m3 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrCsTc
You should really get yourself a copy of the BMW ETK and TIS software. The TIS software gives you detailed how-to instructions. PM me for more details.

-Rich
pmed you...about dash removal..
darrell
fu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:06 PM   #6
SrCsTc
Banned

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc
Quote:
Originally Posted by fu98
pmed you...about dash removal..
darrell

PMed you
SrCsTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:35 PM   #7
bimmer jon

My Ride: M3(Sold),2005 645ci
I installed factory nav in my car and the removal of the interior was prett straight foward.

Front Seats -

Power them back to undo the front bolts. theres a plastic cap on the bolts that just pops off. When you take those bolts off, power both seats foward to remove the rear bolt. When you power both seats foward, i'd disconnect your battery. After you take out the bolts, just push the seat foward to tilt them and you should see a couple of connectors. disconnect them and then pull the seats out. i recommend the battery only because there are airbag sensors in the seat and you don't want an airbag light going off on you.

To remove the rear seats -

The rear seat is like a pop lock sort of deal. just pull up with moderate strength on the front of the bottom pad and it should pop out and slide out easily. The side bolsters just pop out to. For a coupe at least, where the seatbelts come out, there is a plastic cover over the side bolster. where the seatbelt goes over that cover, underneath the seatbelt there will be a little clip that pops out. Take that clip out and then theres a plastic side piece that clips in where the side window motor thing pops through. Pop that out and that bolster should come right out. Thats for a coupe. don't know if its similar to a sedan.

The wiring harnesses for the car run on the driver side of the car. Behind the rear driver side bolster, your going to find a bunch of wires going to the trunk and a foam cover sealing them in. Just pop out the foam cover and route your harness through there.

The trunks pretty much straigh foward to. There are I think 2 or 3 pop clips holding it in. just pop them out and the side panel in the trunk comes right out. Its a stiff piece so prepare to pull with a little bit of force.

B l a c k . S a p p h i r e . M e t a l l i c . 6 4 5 c i
bimmer jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:42 PM   #8
bimmer jon

My Ride: M3(Sold),2005 645ci
oh...safety tip.... on the plastic sills that are on the edge of the doors that go over the carpet. make sure your push them foward to slide them off. they don't pull off. if you pull them off, they instantly break. wierd design. i learned the hard way. you'll understand how it works when you take it out.

The carpet in the car is split 50/50. The halfway mark is right under the driver and passenger seat. You can route the harness to the center of the car through there. You can follow the factory harness. This is sort of how it looks

***edit...can't get it to come out right with all the spaces.

basically, when you start, take out the radio and start running your harness from there, take out the wood grain center, the shift boot and you should see a lot of space on the side to run your harness. You'll see where you can get it under the carpet when you take out the seats. You'll probally see the factory audio harness there to. Best to just run it along the same line. Theres enough room for more then one harness.

B l a c k . S a p p h i r e . M e t a l l i c . 6 4 5 c i

Last edited by bimmer jon; 01-21-2006 at 11:45 PM.
bimmer jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:04 AM   #9
fu98

My Ride: 2002 m3 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrCsTc
PMed you
thanks for the pm.. how come there arent any pictures of your current interior... you have that same outdated picture in your sig.. and i know you have done tons of stuff....

thanks for all your help....
fu98 is offline   Reply With Quote