E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2002, 11:09 AM   #1
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
OEM Alarm Question

Hi, i'm interested in getting the OEM alarm instead of a fancy aftermarket system, but I want to have the OEM unit use airhorns instead of the car horn, when sounding the alarm. Is this easy to do? if the dealer installs, will they do this for me? Has anyone done this before? Thanks!
-Brendan

PS. Is the instalation easy, for someone with minimal technical experience?
simsima325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:26 AM   #2
ucbsupafly

My Ride: '08 135i
Send a message via AIM to ucbsupafly Send a message via Yahoo to ucbsupafly
Installation is really easy. If you can change your tire, you can install the alarm in an hour. I am not sure what you mean by using air horn instead of car horn. The alarm kit comes with a horn/siren that you have to install under the hood. It's a separate unit from the car horn. Hope this helps.

"If the car feels like it is on rails, then you are probably going too slow." - Speed Secrets
ucbsupafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 12:36 PM   #3
soheilm3
bored.

My Ride: definitly not an m3
Send a message via AIM to soheilm3
its not necassary the ease of installation, but the cost effciency. i personally will be taking my alarm to be installed by bmw, cause look at it this way:

If u install YOURSELF you have to take it to bmw to get it activated for 50 bucks. If you have BMW INSTALL it, they charge u 80 bucks, and that covers both activation and labor. For an extra 30 bucks id rather have them do it, not worry about it, plus get a car wash, and all the other good things.

--soheil

Taken
Smart
Beautiful

(pick 2 of the three only)
soheilm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 12:49 PM   #4
Cyclone
I'm Mini Clem

My Ride: 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0T
Send a message via ICQ to Cyclone Send a message via AIM to Cyclone Send a message via MSN to Cyclone Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclone
Quote:
Originally posted by soheilm3
its not necassary the ease of installation, but the cost effciency. i personally will be taking my alarm to be installed by bmw, cause look at it this way:

If u install YOURSELF you have to take it to bmw to get it activated for 50 bucks. If you have BMW INSTALL it, they charge u 80 bucks, and that covers both activation and labor. For an extra 30 bucks id rather have them do it, not worry about it, plus get a car wash, and all the other good things.

--soheil
My dealership did it for free. I installed it, and they activated it at no charge. *shrug* Guess my service advisor likes me.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 01:14 PM   #5
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally posted by ucbsupafly
I am not sure what you mean by using air horn instead of car horn.
Thanks, if the alarm already uses a separate horn, i can probably just have them use larger airhorns that will produce a very very loud noise. My friend has an acura 3.2 CL TypeS, and he has an aftermarket alarm with 8 airhorns! someone tried to break into his car and steal his system, but the airhorns were so loud, the guy ran away when they went off. i'm thinking that if it had been a regular alarm, he might have gotten his system jacked! thanks again
-brendan
simsima325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 01:33 PM   #6
als
Aku. Soku. Zan.

My Ride: 2002 325i
not sure if you can use air horn... you might need to modify the base and the connection since the OEM alarm is really plug and play.
my dealer charged me $46 to have it activated.
als is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 05:39 PM   #7
bender
hammer talks like this

My Ride: 2006 Honda insight
Send a message via AIM to bender
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclone

My dealership did it for free. I installed it, and they activated it at no charge. *shrug* Guess my service advisor likes me.
Where at? momentum? North? Advantage?
bender is offline   Reply With Quote