E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
omar2006

My Ride: 00 323ci and 03 M3
angle eyes help

My car is a 2000 323ci and i want to buy the Preditor Chromium angel eyes, i know it comes with a 45 page instruction help, but honestly is it easy to do. i have NO tools so i am wondering what is needed before i buy it. the rings themselves just snap in dont they? -any help is useful. thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mine edit.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	164453  
omar2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
The rings clip on pretty easily. All you need is a pair of hands, a screwdriver with a few different heads, and some pliers and maybe a wrench. It's pretty basic and straight forward. I'm sure the 45-step instructions will tell ya what you need.

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
I am sure in 45 pages they probably mention the tools you need. If not I am sure your friendly retailer wouldn't mind telling you. Order them and then go tool shopping.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
driftinsequence

My Ride: waiting to be modded
Send a message via AIM to driftinsequence
honestly, nothing to worry about, take your time, and be careful with taking apart/putting your things back together. really nothing to it.
driftinsequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:34 AM   #5
Mikaly

My Ride: TiAG 323i on 19s
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinsequence
honestly, nothing to worry about, take your time, and be careful with taking apart/putting your things back together. really nothing to it.
Yeah, the newer generation DDEs are much easier than previous gen installs.

I'd say taking out the headlights that would be the hardest part - and only because I hate getting that pesky screw towards the bottom of the headlight (it's not really too bad). Like driftinsequence says, if you take your time, it's a relatively easy install.

And I believe that the 45-pages apply to all the current DDE compatible BMWs, so only a small portion of that is actually covering the e46. Good luck!

Be sure to mount your ballasts in a dry place. One of mine got water in them
Mikaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaly
Yeah, the newer generation DDEs are much easier than previous gen installs.

I'd say taking out the headlights that would be the hardest part - and only because I hate getting that pesky screw towards the bottom of the headlight (it's not really too bad). Like driftinsequence says, if you take your time, it's a relatively easy install.

And I believe that the 45-pages apply to all the current DDE compatible BMWs, so only a small portion of that is actually covering the e46. Good luck!

Be sure to mount your ballasts in a dry place. One of mine got water in them
Actually our guide is E46 specific but can be applied to other models VERY easily.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:23 PM   #7
eightyhd

My Ride: 4Runner
DDE's are an easy install.

the wiring was a *****!

BUT THE BALLASTS IS WHAT REALLY MATTERS.

MOUNT THE BALLASTS UN THE BLACK HEADLIGHT COVER.
This will ensure the ballasts are always dry.

im currently lookin4 a way to have them controlled with my parking lights
eightyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:30 PM   #8
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
i suggest getting a long magnet, it makes it easy to get the deeper screws out

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:37 PM   #9
silverbmw330

My Ride: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar2006
My car is a 2000 323ci and i want to buy the Preditor Chromium angel eyes, i know it comes with a 45 page instruction help, but honestly is it easy to do. i have NO tools so i am wondering what is needed before i buy it. the rings themselves just snap in dont they? -any help is useful. thanks.
First of all, how do you want the rings to go on? With a switch, connected to the fog lights, accessory power.. etc... etc..? Also, does your car have the headlight spray washers? Can't tell from the pic. Depending how fancy you want to go with the way you want to turn the rings on, the more tools you might need!

Basic tools for installing:
Long flat head screw (to help remove turn signal assembly)
Wrench (for conneting to grounding bolt and positive terminal, removal of mounting bolts <-- only if you want to remove the entire headlight assembly)
Extending magnet (only if you want to remove the entire headlight assembly. Its not necessary to remove the entire headlight assembly to put these on).
Pliers (crimping the wire taps)

Too bad you didn't post this up a few days earlier... I was out near Punahou visiting some friends I could have shown you in person what to do. Anyway, hope this helps. Also, the vendor of the rings and the folks on this board will be more than ready to give you a hand if necessary, just make sure you do a SEARCH first before you ask.... most likely your question has been answer a billion times already. Good luck and happy modding!
silverbmw330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:47 PM   #10
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
I did it with nothing more than my hands, the tools found in any 3 series trunk, and an im window with jon levi (who is the man!!!!)

check out www.jlevisw.com for a set.. they will hook you up bro

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #11
scmgoblue

My Ride: 2003 TiAg M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyhd
DDE's are an easy install.

the wiring was a *****!

BUT THE BALLASTS IS WHAT REALLY MATTERS.

MOUNT THE BALLASTS UN THE BLACK HEADLIGHT COVER.
This will ensure the ballasts are always dry.

im currently lookin4 a way to have them controlled with my parking lights
Tie them into the rear parking light on the LCM, violet w/ red stripe I believe.
scmgoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #12
JCsE46
(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)

My Ride: 03 E46 JB, 08 MBE350
Send a message via AIM to JCsE46 Send a message via MSN to JCsE46
You may require to buy a set of torx wrench. I believe it's no. 15 torx that you need to remove the screw to remove the ECU cover, a screwdriver, a philip screwdriver, adjustable wrench and a pair of hands. It should be easy for you to do it yourself.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:40 AM   #13
yungy

My Ride: e46 316
Hey guys, I'm kinda worried about installing my angel eyes too. I bought a set back in the summer and failed to sum up the courage to install myself. I bought my ccfl eyes from ssdd and I think they r the 1st gen. The problem is there ain't no 45 page instructions and instructions given ain't all that clear. Is there any1 with a gd link on installing?
yungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #14
Simon2150
King of Useless P O S T S!

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungy
Hey guys, I'm kinda worried about installing my angel eyes too. I bought a set back in the summer and failed to sum up the courage to install myself. I bought my ccfl eyes from ssdd and I think they r the 1st gen. The problem is there ain't no 45 page instructions and instructions given ain't all that clear. Is there any1 with a gd link on installing?
The very first set of halos I bought were from Teddy @ ssdd and it came with instructions, hit him up, I'm sure he still has it. I have since upgraded to Chromiums and them very much b/c the rings fit better than the first set I had. Also, unless Teddy has changed his kit, his halos did not come with a wiring harness with fuse. You can hook them up directly to your fogs.

Simon2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #15
Walrus2004

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
so does the chromiums instructions say to install on the parking lights wire or what? cause I want to be able to have my chromiums on without having my headlights on? I have already purchased them, but I am waiting for warmer weather for the install.
Walrus2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:21 AM   #16
Simon2150
King of Useless P O S T S!

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus2004
so does the chromiums instructions say to install on the parking lights wire or what? cause I want to be able to have my chromiums on without having my headlights on? I have already purchased them, but I am waiting for warmer weather for the install.
you got chromiums from jlevi or umnitza? then, you will have access to the instructions which tell you how to wire them up using the wiring harness. basically, you wire them up to your accessory wire in your ecu, that way whenever your car is on, your predators are on.

Simon2150 is offline   Reply With Quote