E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
rearviewmirror

My Ride: 03 CB/Cinn M3 'vert
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via MSN to rearviewmirror
Formula 1 starts in 31 days... New rules..

What do you think of the new regulations for the 2006 season? I like the new qualifying, I've never been a fan of that flying lap system. I also like the fact that they are bringing back tire changes, that always made the pit stops more interesting. I've not heard what the new V8 sounds like, but I imagine it will sounds quite a bit different than the V10. Also.. there is no Spa-Francorchamps race this year. It's said, I had been to that race 4 times in the past, it's a great venue.

A number of changes to both the Sporting and Technical Regulations have been made by the FIA for the 2006 Formula One season.

Qualifying
For 2006, the single-lap system used in recent years is replaced be a new three-part, knockout format, with multiple cars on track throughout the qualifying hour, which is split into two 15-minute sessions and a final 20-minute session, with five-minute breaks in between.

Part one: All 22 cars may run laps at any time during the first 15 minutes of the hour. At the end of the first 15 minutes, the six slowest cars drop out and fill the final six grid places.

Part two: After a five-minute break, the times will be reset and the 16 remaining cars then will then run in a second 15-minute session - again they may complete as many laps as they want at any time during that period. At the end of the 15 minutes, the six slowest cars drop out and fill places 11 to 16 on the grid.

Part three: After another five-minute break, the times are reset and the final 20-minute session will feature a shootout between the remaining 10 cars to decide pole position and the starting order for the top 10 grid places. Again, these cars may run as many laps as they wish.

In the first two 15-minute sessions, cars may run any fuel load and drivers knocked out after those sessions may refuel ahead of the race. However, the top-ten drivers must begin the final 20-minute session with the fuel load on which they plan to start the race. They will be weighed before they leave the pits, and whatever fuel they use in the 20 minutes may be replaced at the end of the session.

If a driver is deemed to have stopped unnecessarily on the circuit or impeded another driver during the qualifying session, then his times will be cancelled.

Engines
For 2006, engines are reduced in size from the previous 3-litre V10s to 2.4-litre V8s. The aim is to reduce costs and improve safety. With similar engine speeds, the change is expected to cut peak power by around 200bhp, which in turn is likely to add around three to five seconds to lap times at most circuits. The FIA may allow some teams to use 2005-spec V10s if they do not have access to competitive V8. The FIA will enforce a rev limit on any V10s to ensure performance is comparable with that of a V8.

Tyres
After a season’s absence, tyre changes during races return to Formula One in 2006. The thinking behind this is that the reduced engine size will offset any performance gain. Drivers also have access to slightly more tyres than in 2005 - seven sets of dry-weather, four sets of wet-weather and three sets of extreme-weather. Drivers must make a final choice of dry-weather compound ahead of qualifying.

Weekend schedule
In a slight change to the Grand Prix weekend format, Saturday morning now features a single, one-hour practice session, as opposed to two, 45-minute sessions. It takes place between 1100 and 1200. Qualifying is an hour later than before, commencing at 1400.

Before you ask a question about OIL, read this!
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: 1995 E36/2003 E46
Awesome! Can't wait...

Are they going to slicks this year or was that still in the idea stage?

What about the engine lasting two races -- that still in effect?
Sicily1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
Az330im
Flyin' High

My Ride: '03 Stahl Grau 330i
wow.......i can't wait till the season begins!

no more V10's......nooooooooooooooo!
Old 02-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #4
Seth_Horwitz

My Ride: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50
I have mixed feelings about the tire change rule. By allowing drivers to beat on their tires more, if you make a mistake early in the race you may never catch up. (That leads to more technical, but less exciting, races.) Frontrunners won't be as concerned about saving their tires. Also, it just gives Alonso two more chances to make those famous "pit-passes" that bore the hell out of me. I'd rather see him wheel to wheel with Raikkonen dogging it out for a win, than have him make a pass because Flavio's numbers guys calculated a good time to pit. I understand full well that it's all a part of the sport, but I don't have to like it. On the other hand, if they had this last year, Raikkonen would probably have won the championship as Alonso wouldn't have been gifted as many points when Kimi's tires blew up while running P1. Either way, I'm excited for a new season. What do you think about the orange McLarens? Way to ruin a beautiful car.
Seth_Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
I wonder how quickly they will be able to get the same output power from the V8's that they got from the V10's? Thank goodness they are going back to tire changes, I really think that was one of the most ignorant moves the FIA had done to Formula One in ages; it was even more lame than the narrowing the width of the chassis several years ago IMO.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Thank God for the Tire rule changes. That cost Kimi 2 races last year. Yes he did flatspot a couple of races which was his fault. But come on............without good tires you can't be effective on the track. Especially F1 (Very little if any margin for error).

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:42 AM   #7
BMWintoxication
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai

My Ride: Jet Black02' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to BMWintoxication Send a message via MSN to BMWintoxication
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_Horwitz
I have mixed feelings about the tire change rule. By allowing drivers to beat on their tires more, if you make a mistake early in the race you may never catch up. (That leads to more technical, but less exciting, races.) Frontrunners won't be as concerned about saving their tires. Also, it just gives Alonso two more chances to make those famous "pit-passes" that bore the hell out of me. I'd rather see him wheel to wheel with Raikkonen dogging it out for a win, than have him make a pass because Flavio's numbers guys calculated a good time to pit. I understand full well that it's all a part of the sport, but I don't have to like it. On the other hand, if they had this last year, Raikkonen would probably have won the championship as Alonso wouldn't have been gifted as many points when Kimi's tires blew up while running P1. Either way, I'm excited for a new season. What do you think about the orange McLarens? Way to ruin a beautiful car.
they are not orange..... that colour was just used for the press relase of the car.. not of the team.. official colour = chrome..
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=337778

Orz
BMWintoxication is offline   Reply With Quote