E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
DKman

My Ride: 325xi
HDTV help

I don't know if any of you can help without seeing my tv/cable box, but I'm having trouble getting my picture with the highest possible format and the audio working.

Ok so we have a Toshiba 42HP95 tv and a Scientific Atlanta HDTV box. Only when it is in Antenna input mode do we get picture and sound, but it is only 480i. When I put it into colorstream input mode I get 1080i that is cut off and no sound. The HDMI audio input does not work. Any help getting the picture to fit (even in 720 feed) and the sound working would be great.
DKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
blownE30M3

My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKman
I don't know if any of you can help without seeing my tv/cable box, but I'm having trouble getting my picture with the highest possible format and the audio working.

Ok so we have a Toshiba 42HP95 tv and a Scientific Atlanta HDTV box. Only when it is in Antenna input mode do we get picture and sound, but it is only 480i. When I put it into colorstream input mode I get 1080i that is cut off and no sound. The HDMI audio input does not work. Any help getting the picture to fit (even in 720 feed) and the sound working would be great.
Pictures would be best. I need the model number of the cable box for one. Also, what location are you in.

Second, I need a list of inputs on your tv and outputs from the cable box and what is going where. I can help you once I have that information.

Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
Laxplaya21

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to Laxplaya21
Quote:

It sounds like we have the same box. I am from NY too, Cablevision? Are you running a cable wire from the box to the TV? If so, remove it. Just make sure you use the supplied component wires, and red/white audio. Do not go to the antenna but rather Input1 should be capable of supporting component inputs. We need more info
Old 02-20-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
DKman

My Ride: 325xi
Thanks for the replies, I have had some progress. By the way, I'm in fairfield county, ct and I have comcast with a scientific atlanta box. just never got around to changing the location. I got the sound to work on the 1080 by disconnecting and reconnecting analog my stereo speakers. And I got the picture to frame right on HD channels by using the zoom button.

My problems now are

1. How do I change the input feed to 720 if a feed is 720 instead of 1080.?
2. How do I get the contrast to stop changing itself?
DKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
blownE30M3

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I have had some progress. By the way, I'm in fairfield county, ct and I have comcast with a scientific atlanta box. just never got around to changing the location. I got the sound to work on the 1080 by disconnecting and reconnecting analog my stereo speakers. And I got the picture to frame right on HD channels by using the zoom button.

My problems now are

1. How do I change the input feed to 720 if a feed is 720 instead of 1080.?
2. How do I get the contrast to stop changing itself?
First off is this an Explorer 8000HD?

Uhhh...

1. You cannot change the incoming resolution to the cable box obviously. The output however is in the setup menu which im sure you know how to get to.

2. What do you mean by contrast? I think you are thinking of something different.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #6
3erdriver

My Ride: The Subway/NYC Taxi
something is wrong with your box if you have everything set up right. You should have the component cables (red green and blue) running from teh box to their corresponding plugs on the TV...and the same thing with the red and white audio cables. If the picture does not size automatically from the box then the box is broken, you should not have to zoom on the tv at all.
3erdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:00 PM   #7
blownE30M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erdriver
something is wrong with your box if you have everything set up right. You should have the component cables (red green and blue) running from teh box to their corresponding plugs on the TV...and the same thing with the red and white audio cables. If the picture does not size automatically from the box then the box is broken, you should not have to zoom on the tv at all.
Depends on what you like. Most tv's out the box are set on normal when you should actually set them on wide zoom or full. And also some tv's correct for HD sidebars. So there is quite a need for aspect switching.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
Laxplaya21

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to Laxplaya21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erdriver

I have the Xplorer 4200HD. There was a Wizard setup that you do in the beginning that runs through all the different singlas that are brodcasted. It calibrates which ones your TV is capable of handling as well. THen you set the box to "pass through" on the singal and whatever the broadcast it your TV automatically picks it up