E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2006, 12:43 AM   #1
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Latest DE

New mods:
GC coilovers 525/550
*Passenger side rear shock is blown... kinda pisses me off but it should be warrantied. I never "felt" it, but then again I dont know what it would feel like. I noticed it when I was adjusting the damping.

235 Hankook Z212's
*Hankook's seemed fine in both the rain and dry. I got them thursday and only got about 150 miles on them before the DE so I cant really give a conclusion yet.

Axxis Ultimates
*Axxis Ultimates overheated, I think the OEM pads were more consistent, but the Ultimates had better bite for the first ~1/2 of a session.

UUC SS brake lines
*UUC lines seemed fine... I mean they're just brake lines.

Saturday was rain on and off all day. Rain is fun... but not near as fun as the dry. This was my first time in the rain so i learned how to drive off line. They did not open the new half of the track because is was a mud pit according to them. Rain is something that you should do once, but once is enough. I left the camera on sometime and when I put it on the battery died a minute later, so no footage.

Sunday was good. First session out was again the old configuration. Second session they opened the new section. Everyone moved at a ****ing snails pace, pretty much the same thing for the 3rd session. 4th/final session was the best but still I never felt I really got everything out of the car I could have, mainly due to traffic. I was running in blue(green, blue, yellow, white, red(instructors)) and I was either the fastest car or one of the fastest. The only car that i ever "contested" with was a 911 turbo on r-comps( ) which is just sad. He loved showing off his 200hp advantage on the straights again. I beleieve if there was no traffic I would be faster... but not that that really matters. My instructor sucked basically and at times gave me bad/wrong advice. He said he was going to move me up to yellow but he didnt know what to do untill is was too late. He learned I had to be checked off blue solo(which is what I am thru BMWCCA, this event was PCA) before I could be moved to yellow, and by this time it was the final session. And during the final sessions they don't do solo check rides.

I got my dad(e39 540) and a friend(e90 330i aka "coastermaverick" I beleive) to go with me. It was my dads 2nd DE(last was 3.5 yrs ago) and my friends first. They both seemed to be "hooked", where as previously my dad was kinda iffy on whether he liked tracking or not.

In conclusion PCA(Porsche Club of America) events are a bunch of rich guys showing off how much money they have, my dad agreed.

EDIT-I'll post a video in a couple of days once i figure out how to upload and edit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MSR-Extension.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	168287   Click image for larger version

Name:	MSRLEWIS.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	168288  

Last edited by vaio76109; 02-27-2006 at 12:49 AM.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #2
TwoE46s

My Ride: Dinan 330ci & 325it
Vaio
Good to see that you got on the track, even though it may not have been the best weekend........... Any day on the track is a good one!!! I've actually found driving in the wet can be fun - I think it's all about adjusting expectations and making the most out of it.

At least the PCA guys that do track days, really play with thier cars, instead of just posing with them. There is a guy in my subdivision with a 911 turbo and I asked him if he was going to take it up to Road Atlanta, and he looked at me like I was nuts. I guess he should have bought a Boxter with Tiptronic instead!!!

I'm really starting to get track withdraws - I'm going to miss the first two opportunities at Road Atlanta in March, so it looks like I may end up waiting until May. I'm at least going to do Open Track days May 20/21, and there are a lapping days that I can do in the Panoz GT RAs in April, May, and June, and I'll at least to the one in June, if not one other. Then we'll have the BMW CCA DE in July, which is sooo much fun when its 95 degrees, but, it's a weekend on the track isn't it?!
17X8 BBS RXs & 225/45 Toyo Proxes 4s
Coupe:(sold)
Dinan "S" plus Throttle Body & Stg 3 Software
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
UUC Shifter
UUC Underdrive Pulleys
Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on factory M Double Spoke 68s
Track Stuff - 17X8 OZ SuperLeggeras & 235/40 Toyo RA1s; Shroth Harnesses
TwoE46s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoE46s
Any day on the track is a good one!!! I've actually found driving in the wet can be fun - I think it's all about adjusting expectations and making the most out of it.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoE46s
At least the PCA guys that do track days, really play with thier cars, instead of just posing with them.
I kinda agree, but the degree some of these people were playing with their cars was just pathetic. Some were on r-comps and when I got behind some of them even I felt slow... and I'm on street tires. Just proves the point that its better to learn to be fast on street tires than slow on r-comps.

My next DE with be April 8-9(PCA) and then April 29-30(BMWCCA). This upcoming weekend I'll be doing a dirt bike race .
Old 02-27-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
shockin330i

My Ride: '13 AW F10 535i
Send a message via AIM to shockin330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
+1

I kinda agree, but the degree some of these people were playing with their cars was just pathetic. Some were on r-comps and when I got behind some of them even I felt slow... and I'm on street tires. Just proves the point that its better to learn to be fast on street tires than slow on r-comps.

My next DE with be April 8-9(PCA) and then April 29-30(BMWCCA). This upcoming weekend I'll be doing a dirt bike race .
Wow, that looks like fun, you should come down to the track we have here in College Station
2013 535i AW F10 "Lola" [retired]
2013 5.0 "alessandra" [retired]
2014 5.0 "jessica" [retired]
2011 135i JB E82 "Latoya"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay330Ci View Post
:drool:
i'd cosign loans for that ho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Thanks dude. I knew she was a keeper when she blew me during a game of cod. I didn't do too well that game
shockin330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i
Wow, that looks like fun, you should come down to the track we have here in College Station
TWS, I will one of these days.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
TwoE46s

My Ride: Dinan 330ci & 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
It's always fun running up some Z06, 911, or E46M3's tailpipe in the twisties in the ol' 330 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not just the PCA guys, every club has those out that are just out for a little leisurely excerise of thier cool car, with no worry about a speeding ticket. They're having fun, and it gives you a chance to cool off the brakes for a lap until you get a point by
17X8 BBS RXs & 225/45 Toyo Proxes 4s
Coupe:(sold)
Dinan "S" plus Throttle Body & Stg 3 Software
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
UUC Shifter
UUC Underdrive Pulleys
Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on factory M Double Spoke 68s
Track Stuff - 17X8 OZ SuperLeggeras & 235/40 Toyo RA1s; Shroth Harnesses
TwoE46s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
Good to hear you're back in the game, vaio! Next time we need pictures of the event. Pictures of pple, cars, pple working on cars etc. lol! At my last event, the tire shop was giving away two sets of Z212 for free. They are still good for maybe one track day. But unfortunately no space to transport them home.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
E28Fiend
Track it

My Ride: '06 M3
Send a message via AIM to E28Fiend
Nice write up...

Glad to hear you had a good time. Sorry abou the issue with the shock. That track looks very interesting, and if they do infact connect it with the "future track" as you pointed out, it looks like it will be bananas.

Its amazing how much of a difference a driver makes once on the track. You will easily be able to pass much faster cars on the twisties even in a slower car, as long as you're smooth and consistent as you have seen for yourself.

Kicking off this year of DEs with a bang....

I wish everyone many safe adventures this season to tracks near and far.... And the more we share our experiences like Vaio has, the better off we will be.

Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by E28Fiend
That track looks very interesting, and if they do infact connect it with the "future track" as you pointed out, it looks like it will be bananas.
The tracks are connected. The first day and first session of the second day we were on the old track, the 3 other sessions on sunday we ran both tracks combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E28Fiend
You will easily be able to pass much faster cars on the twisties even in a slower car, as long as you're smooth and consistent as you have seen for yourself.
Then funny thing is honestly the whole weekend I wasn't driving as well as I have in the past.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #10
CoasterMaverick

My Ride: E90 330i
Send a message via ICQ to CoasterMaverick Send a message via AIM to CoasterMaverick Send a message via Yahoo to CoasterMaverick
Yeah, I'm afraid I might be hooked...with my stock E90. I thought the new half of the track was so fun because of the elevation changes. I'm gonna try to be back up there in April, hopefully in the blue group instead of green.

The event did seem to be a bunch of rich guys showing off their cars in the Green and Blue groups. The higher groups looked pretty serious, though.

Stock 2006 330i
CoasterMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:09 AM   #11
vaio76109

Video:
http://media.putfile.com/MSR
(not working quite yet)

And waiting to be approved on google video

About the video: After the first straight the sequence of turns is known as "rattlesnake". This was my first time trying second through there, which I didnt not like. This caused me to miss the apex of the first turn on the new section because I was still thinking of shifting... not the track ahead.

Also its worth mentioning that I didn't upshift to 4th on 2 occasions. The straight away from the old track to the new track, mainly because I didnt want to down shift to 3rd 2 seconds later for Ricochet, only to upshift to 4th again at the exit. Also I didnt upshift to 4th after Tombstone when I could have... I just cruised down the straight .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorsport_ranch_private_track_dallas_1_7_miles.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	168571   Click image for larger version

Name:	MSRLEWIS.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	168572  

Last edited by vaio76109; 03-01-2006 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #12
02SilverM3

My Ride: 02 m3 and 05 x3
Please identify the tracks you are talking about. It will help us all. We can't read you minds.
02SilverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #13
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SilverM3
Please identify the tracks you are talking about. It will help us all. We can't read you minds.
MSR-Motorsports Ranch
Old 03-01-2006, 08:07 PM   #14
vaio76109

Old 03-01-2006, 11:27 PM   #15
vaio76109