E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 04:23 PM   #21
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM CiS
sorry, you have no idea what you are talking about. your basic knowledge of gears doesnt apply to every car out there.

if you look at the pre-production video of the m5, they explain that to get optimal gearing and positioning, had they used 7 gears for manual, the configuration and placement of the gears would have been off...

for example..

instead of

1 3 5 7
2 4 6

it would have been something like

3 2 7 4
6 5 1

that's what he's talking about.

since they couldnt pull it off for a 7 speed, they resorted to the 6 mt.
look dickhead, I know that the SMG is a true sequential gearbox that would not transfer to a regular H-gate. A manual M5 would have to have a conventional gearbox. The guy I quoted simply said that it would be impossible to have a 7 speed manual gearbox. Don't be such an asshole.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #22
DTM CiS

My Ride: RR SC/ Cayman S
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren
look dickhead, I know that the SMG is a true sequential gearbox that would not transfer to a regular H-gate. A manual M5 would have to have a conventional gearbox. The guy I quoted simply said that it would be impossible to have a 7 speed manual gearbox. Don't be such an asshole.
who's the ******* calling me a dickhead? what is your mental age? either you are a child proud of all 11 of your modifications, or someone way too old to be resorting to petulant name-calling because you can't get your facts straight or read clearly. they sure raise them sensitive in kentucky don't they?

Actually, the original poster you quoted did not say it was impossible, go back and read, he clearly stated it was not possible because the "location of the gears would be jumbled"

just because your post sounded stupid and you got checked on it doesn't mean you have to start crying and calling names.

*unsubscribed*

Last edited by DTM CiS; 03-02-2006 at 07:54 PM.
DTM CiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #23
Jeuprx-8

My Ride: rolls only Michelins
1600 posts > 20 posts.

Anyways... It is not impossible to do a 7 speed manual if you start from scratch. They can't use the SMG box, because it wasn't designed to be one. I doubt Getrag and Sachs even would want to make a 7-spd manual. ZF could do it, and are probably doing it for BMW.
Jeuprx-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #24
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren
look dickhead
hahahaha. amazing.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote