E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
pwalsh53

My Ride: E46
Send a message via AIM to pwalsh53
245's with 17X8.5

Just ordered some Kosei K1 17x8.5's. I'd like to know if

a. 245/45s are the best tire size for them
b. will 245s fit an E46 sedan? these will be purely for track days with no more than 2 people in the car.

Thanks!
Patrick
pwalsh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
Antroiny
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)

My Ride: 2005 ///M3
You can go with 245/40/17 or 255/40/17 all around on the Koseis. I used to run 255/40/17 on the Koseis all around on my 330i dropped on PSS9's. No rubbing front or rear (my rear fenders were already rolled for my non-track rims though).
Old 02-22-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
jun14scr
booo for body roll.

My Ride: 2009 335i.
jw - but which tires?
Old 02-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
pwalsh53

Bump
Old 02-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #5
Antroiny
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)

My Ride: 2005 ///M3
I was using Yokohama AVS ES 100 tires for the track. Pretty cheap, decent grip, decent wear.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
E28Fiend
Track it

My Ride: '06 M3
Send a message via AIM to E28Fiend
You will have no problems with 245s all around for the track. Im not sure, but you might run into problems with 255s in the front, if you have a drop, un less you are running alot of negative camber. Then again, the dude a few posts up said he ran 255s all around with no problem so it will probably be fine.

Whatever you decide, try to have the same tire size on all four corners. It makes rotating the tire for even wear much much easier. Not to mention the more neutral handling the car will have without such a tendency to push (understeer).

Best of luck
Old 02-27-2006, 10:59 PM   #7
pwalsh53

So you have run 245/40s all around, no cutting/rolling of fenders, and had no problems?

My car is stock sport suspension with about an extra 1.25 degrees of negative camber (bimmer world street camber plates) up front.

Thanks!
Patrick
Old 02-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
E46 sedan here as well. Chances are you might load the trunk with tools/jack etc on your way to the track, then in that case, yes it might rub.

You can prevent rubbing by going with a very stiff suspension setup and/or -3 deg camber. Kosei has ET40.

But on the track, they will be ok.

For that reason, I have two pieces of 245/40/17 tires that I am trying to get rid of.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:32 PM   #9
PEDROJR

My Ride: 04'ZHP
Yes you can!

Hey Patrick,

I have a 2004 330ci zhp and i have the exact thing you are getting kosei k1's with 245/40/17's all around.

i used dunlop supersport race when they used to be available in 245/40/17.
they were about $120 each, not bad for a r-compound tire, to bad they are out of production, for the price their perfromance was excellent, excellent grip, predictable and very good in rain as i tested them in Sebring just after a downpour.

Weight difference is also a factor since i am saving about 60lbs of unsprung weight compared to stock 18' and yes you can definitely tell the diference specially at the track!! The kosei's have been great, they are pretty strong wheels.!!

they should fit your sedan with no problems as you said you still have the stock sport suspencion which should give you plenty of clearence even with different camber.

Good luck and have fun out there.

Heres a pic of my car
PEDROJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #10
Modena NYC

My Ride: Something Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDROJR
Hey Patrick,

I have a 2004 330ci zhp and i have the exact thing you are getting kosei k1's with 245/40/17's all around.

i used dunlop supersport race when they used to be available in 245/40/17.
they were about $120 each, not bad for a r-compound tire, to bad they are out of production, for the price their perfromance was excellent, excellent grip, predictable and very good in rain as i tested them in Sebring just after a downpour.

Weight difference is also a factor since i am saving about 60lbs of unsprung weight compared to stock 18' and yes you can definitely tell the diference specially at the track!! The kosei's have been great, they are pretty strong wheels.!!

they should fit your sedan with no problems as you said you still have the stock sport suspencion which should give you plenty of clearence even with different camber.

Good luck and have fun out there.

Heres a pic of my car
Where is the pics Pedro?
Modena NYC is offline   Reply With Quote