E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2002, 06:36 PM   #1
Chris_Hill

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Exclamation About my Alpine Install that Hit Man posted

Hello All!,

I was caught by suprise when I started getting emails from some of you guys. I really appreciate all the compliments given on my head unit, mirrors, and car.

About the Mirrors...

I had one of the OEM's get knocked off by a run away re-tread that some jack-ass trucker decided to fling off his truck. I really didn't like the OEM's but loved the M3's, so I purchaced a set. I didn't realize at the time that the wouldn't fit. I got them in and tried to put them on. Nope wont wit. So I made the fit by modifying the OEM mount. This was a frankenstein job. I had to cut part of the M3 mirror base and the OEM mirror base. I welded the M3 part to the OEM base. Then had to mold the plastic trim panel to the M3 piece. The part that the actual mirror resides in was left intact. I know this sounds strange, but it wasn't that hard.

About the Head Unit...

I had this stuff installed in my Boxster. Removed it for certain value reasons. When I purchaced the BMW I had no intention to install anything in the car. It only took time for the equipment to tell me to install it, my only hitch was loosing my phone features. I started looking at the dash kits that are available, but didn't really like how they looked in the dash. So I decided to create my own face plate. At first the idea seemed easy. After I got knee deep into it there was no turning back. The hardest task was to get the Alpine to work without using motorization, some modification had to be done to the Alpine's circuit board to bypass the limit switches so the unit 'thinks' that the monitor is always in the 'out' position. I debated using the OEM head units buttons, but the circuit board in the business cd player would not be compatible with the Alpine. As it stood, I had to create my own circuit boards. The next task was to change the lights from green to BMW amber. I robbed the BMW head unit of these. The last task was to make all this electronic stuff look nice on the outside. I created the original piece from MDF, Business CD trim panel parts, Business CD buttons and knob, Alpine trim panel parts, and a lot of epoxy, and gel-coat. After a few days of sanding the original piece of finished. I wanted to create a mold of the part so if anthing were to happen I could make extras. Well two month of playing with different mold making techniques led me no where. So the piece you see is the piece I made by hand. I would say that it would cost some where between 500 - 800 to have done. I wouldn't mind doing the work again, I just dont have the time. I started this in early Feburary and finished in late April.

I am installing a full 'show' quality system in my car. Complete with DVD, Navigation, CD Changer...

I will be posting the Pics on sounddomain.com and my personal site as I progress

Here are the links:

Sound Domain
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/chris_hill

My Site
http://www.986ter.com

I hope this has answered any questions, if not feel free to email me at chill@986ter.com

Thanks again!

Chris
Chris_Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:43 PM   #2
Craig
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!

My Ride: 09' AW E92 335i
Nice job Chris and thanx for taking the time to explain to the guys how u went about doing those mods,greatly appreciated

Last edited by Craig; 05-15-2002 at 07:13 PM.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 07:11 PM   #3
Full Time Hit Man
Banned

My Ride: E46
Send a message via AIM to Full Time Hit Man
Chris, very nice install. I love it.
Full Time Hit Man is offline   Reply With Quote