E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
TheEnd28

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3 SMG
Diet Critique

Hey All,

Since everybody here seems very knowledgeable about diet, I was wondering if you could take a look at my current diet. I weightlift 5 times a week, usually Monday through Friday and then do Cardio on the weekends immediately when I wake up (30 Minutes Interval training, 1 minute intervals of a 4 MPH walk and a 6.5 MPH Jog/Run). My workout days are as follows: Monday- Legs, Tuesday-Chest, Wednesday-Back, Thursday-Shoulders, Friday-Arms (Biceps and Triceps).

My Diet is as follows (note times are when I finish eating):

Monday-Friday:
8:00 AM - Lebrada Protein bar (31 grams of protein, 6g of fat, 290 Cals)
2 slices wheat toast with 1 serving of grap jelly (8g protein, 2g fat 80 cals + 50 cals for the jelly)
8 oz. orange juice (110 cals)
Total: 550 cals

12:30 PM - Sandwich (usually Beef, Chicken or Turkey) (around 40g protein)
Banana
Total: 500 cals

4:15 PM - Myoplex RTD shake (42g protein, 7g fat, 300 cals)
Banana
Total: 400 cals

7:15 PM - Afterworkout protein drink - Isopure RTD Zero carb (40g protein, 160 cals)
Total: 160 cals

10:00 PM - Steak, Chicken, or Turkey (around 40g of Protein)
Salad w/ fat free dressing (usually ranch)
Apple
Total = ??? Should be around 600 to 700 cals

12:30 AM - Myoplex RTD Shake (42g protein, 7g fat, 300 cals)
Total = 300 cals

How does that look. I have read where you should have whey +dextro, malto after working out so I will probably switch to that soon. I am currently 170 and 20% bodyfat (according to the Tanita electronic scale). I'm looking to gain muscle but will be switching to a cutting phase in April so I can get jacked. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
TheEnd28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Just some general observations...

-Don't do cardio on an empty stomach
-Drop the protein bar for breakfast, replace it with protein powder and old-fashioned oatmeal.
-Drop the RTD shakes all together unless you're using them as a snack, they aren't nutritional enough to count as meals
-You're not getting enough EFAs or complex carbs (you seem to be focusing too much on protien and calories when instead you need a healthy balance of protein/carbs/fats)
-space your meals closer together, every 3 hours or so
-Your last meal before bed should consist of a casein protein source with healthy fats
-try to get most of your carbs in early in the day and fats at night

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
TheEnd28

Quote:
-Don't do cardio on an empty stomach
I was under the impression that is the best time to do it. From what I read at bodybuilding.com and other places, when you wake up and run, you have less sugar stores in the body at that time or something to that effect.

Quote:
-Drop the protein bar for breakfast, replace it with protein powder and old-fashioned oatmeal.
I thought about that but I'm not a real oatmeal guy. Is there something else you recommend?

Quote:
-Drop the RTD shakes all together unless you're using them as a snack, they aren't nutritional enough to count as meals
Actually the Myoplex RTD have so much nutrition that I don't take a multivitamin due to overloading on certain nutrients. Here check the link from their site http://www.eas.com/products/producti...nutrition.html

Quote:
-You're not getting enough EFAs or complex carbs (you seem to be focusing too much on protien and calories when instead you need a healthy balance of protein/carbs/fats)
What split do you recommend? I didn't include the carbs in my numbers because I couldn't remember them off hand. Every meal I am getting some whether through simple or complex sugars or starches in bread.

Quote:
-space your meals closer together, every 3 hours or so
This I am working on and I may need to add in another meal to sort of even out the spacing to two hours. I will probably work in another meal before breakfast and before lunch. That would push all my meal times up a little bit.

Quote:
-Your last meal before bed should consist of a casein protein source with healthy fats
The RTD is all Calcium Casseinate or Milk Casseinate (according to the ingredients). It only has 1g sat fats all the rest should be healthy, I think. BTW I go to sleep around 1 or 1:30 AM so is that enough time before bed to take the shake?

Quote:
-try to get most of your carbs in early in the day and fats at night
Can you clarify why? I just want to know for my own knowledge.

Thanks for the insights. Will try to work them in.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
bimmerchop

You want to avoid running on an empty stomach b/c your body is very catabolic upon waking up. This means it feeds off of muscle, not just fat for energy. granted this will yield in you losing the most weight, the weight you're dropping isn't just fat, it's muscle as well. This should be avoided regardless of what you're doing, cutting or bulking.

Oatmeal is best, if you're serious about your fitness plan and goal, you wont mind the oatmeal. It's not that bad mixed with chocolate whey.

I am familiar with myoplex, as well as with EAS products, however, the rtd is still no substitue for food.

You want to get your carbs early in the day, for energy. They should be avoided at night to prevent fat storage. Fats however should be taken late in the day and evening b/c they help skow the rate in which your body feeds off of protein. This helps prepare your body for when you go to sleep in order to full rest and recover your muscles. It's anti-catabolic.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
Old 03-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
TheEnd28

I worked in Oatmeal this morning and it was bad but I can deal with it. For the whey protein in the morning is it best to treat it like the whey protein I get post workout (with malto/dextro)? Right now I'm using just whey protein which has sucralose for flavoring but no malto/dextro.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
make sure to eat enough fiber. That's important for cutting

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
bimmerchop

Nope, malto/dex should only be used post workout. You get your carbs in the morning from oatmeal

euro.techniks