E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #21
blownE30M3

My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Take from Dolby's site:

Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby Digital Plus is a highly sophisticated and versatile audio codec based on Dolby Digital and designed specifically to adapt to the changing demands of future audio, video delivery, and audio storage systems while simultaneously retaining backwards compatibility with the existing Dolby Digital 5.1-channel home theater systems in use today.

Broadcast Applications

Dolby Digital Plus is ideal for limited bandwidth environments such as broadcast television. As highly efficient video coding systems like H.264 are adopted, broadcasters can deliver increased capability and capacity through new set-top boxes in the same spectrum they are using today, while retaining playback compatibility with existing Dolby Digital A/V receivers. The Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) approved a revision to the A/52A Standard (A/52B) that incorporates Dolby Digital Plus as the high-efficiency audio coding system for robust mode transmission of E-VSB. Dolby Digital Plus is also included in the Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) specifications as an option for HD and other digital TV services. Devices equipped with Dolby Digital Plus are capable of decoding Dolby Digital broadcast bitstreams for compatibility with existing broadcast services.

This is sort of what I am talking about. 7.1 and 9.1 capable receivers are few and far between. Such as the Lexicon RV8 pictured here:

http://www.lexicon.com/products/overview.asp?ID=14

Like I said, when a movie is fimed and mixed in studio it is encoded with up to 9 channels of audio. Go to a movie theater, what do you see? Thats right, 9 or more speakers. These theaters utilize decoding software and equipment to fully exaggerate the ecoded audio. Receivers for your home would could cost thousands to do the same thing. I take that back. 10's of thousands. But most of the high dollar receivers like I just showed you will do 7.1. This is not some kind of beefed up 5.1 receiver like you would think. If a DVD has the capability to do 7.1 (which most dont) then it will do it.

You have to realize residential technology has not caught up to commercial technology yet. Hence the quote at the top of this post....hence the reason I say you will see it shortly...

Did that clarify it for you?

Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #22
baller99

My Ride: My whip
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3
Take from Dolby's site:

Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby Digital Plus is a highly sophisticated and versatile audio codec based on Dolby Digital and designed specifically to adapt to the changing demands of future audio, video delivery, and audio storage systems while simultaneously retaining backwards compatibility with the existing Dolby Digital 5.1-channel home theater systems in use today.

Broadcast Applications

Dolby Digital Plus is ideal for limited bandwidth environments such as broadcast television. As highly efficient video coding systems like H.264 are adopted, broadcasters can deliver increased capability and capacity through new set-top boxes in the same spectrum they are using today, while retaining playback compatibility with existing Dolby Digital A/V receivers. The Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) approved a revision to the A/52A Standard (A/52B) that incorporates Dolby Digital Plus as the high-efficiency audio coding system for robust mode transmission of E-VSB. Dolby Digital Plus is also included in the Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) specifications as an option for HD and other digital TV services. Devices equipped with Dolby Digital Plus are capable of decoding Dolby Digital broadcast bitstreams for compatibility with existing broadcast services.

This is sort of what I am talking about. 7.1 and 9.1 capable receivers are few and far between. Such as the Lexicon RV8 pictured here:

http://www.lexicon.com/products/overview.asp?ID=14

Like I said, when a movie is fimed and mixed in studio it is encoded with up to 9 channels of audio. Go to a movie theater, what do you see? Thats right, 9 or more speakers. These theaters utilize decoding software and equipment to fully exaggerate the ecoded audio. Receivers for your home would could cost thousands to do the same thing. I take that back. 10's of thousands. But most of the high dollar receivers like I just showed you will do 7.1. This is not some kind of beefed up 5.1 receiver like you would think. If a DVD has the capability to do 7.1 (which most dont) then it will do it.

You have to realize residential technology has not caught up to commercial technology yet. Hence the quote at the top of this post....hence the reason I say you will see it shortly...

Did that clarify it for you?
Yes..but that still isn't 7.1 channels. Movie theaters have many many speakers in a theater to create sound, it doesn't necessarily mean there are any more channels than what is in a normal home theater receiever.

Plus..more importantly...Even as a home theater nut, 7.1 is way, way more than enough. I couldn't imagine what a normal consumer would think of that many. If the industry pushes for more channels look for consumers to respond by their wallet vote.

The point is..nobody has created a standard that has more than 5.1 channels of discrete sound, in or out of the theater.
baller99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:42 AM   #23
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
if it's hard to believe what blowne30m3 says, put your recieiver in phantom mode and compare it with regular surround mode.

...most of the time...it sounds as there is something missing......

I was without my center channel for a while, so i had to put my yamaha into phantom where it addedd processing to integrate the center into the L/R speakers. YUK!

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #24
stewey

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by James330I
I was without my center channel for a while, so i had to put my yamaha into phantom where it addedd processing to integrate the center into the L/R speakers. YUK!
What kind of L/R speakers do you have? Make/model?
stewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #25
stewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3
When you change modes to a stereo output. Either your 7 channel, 2 channel, what have you, you negate the software installed for surround sound decoding and place the load on all the speakers. There is no decoding done by the receiver, it is purely spitting out the level.
This is true, but switching to a phantom center doesn't switch to stereo mode, so your point is moot.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #26
stewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew
I just realized why the center channel is important: With music you have no visual image that you need to sync the sound up to. If you're sitting off center, you'll hear the central image biased towards the closer speaker, but you'll still enjoy the music just fine. But if you have a visual image that the sound is supposed to sync to - and the audio image is off to the side of the screen, then it will cause a disconnect in your brain and it will sound just plain wrong. The center channel locks the center audio image to the screen no matter where you sit so you avoid this problem entirely. Makes sense now.

If you are off-center, then you will be out of position for all of the drivers (including the rears). Surround setups are even more sensitive to listener position than stereo setups. The more point-sources you have, the harder it is to create a believable image. That is why stereo is so successful (and quadrophonic, etc failed). It is also the reason why so much emphasis is placed on tuning surround setups with test-tones, etc.

I think you were right before (with your first post). Center channel is the least important speaker in a surround setup. I agree 100% with your first post!
Old 03-11-2006, 04:32 PM   #27
trippinbillies4

My Ride: '02 Mini, '13 FR-S
You guys are all wrong. The left "presence" channel on those Yamaha 9.1 channel receivers is by FAR the most important channel, unless my dog is half shaved and painted orange, in which case the most important speakers is th right presence speaker.

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS
trippinbillies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #28
baller99

My Ride: My whip
The upgrading of sound formats needs to stop in my opinion. Dolby Digital and DTS sound absolutely fine as is, any more "upgrades" past this point are just so electronics companies can sell new receievers. DD and DTS in their current states are exactly what you get in the theater. Sound really cannot, and should not be improved any further.
baller99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #29
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller99
The upgrading of sound formats needs to stop in my opinion. Dolby Digital and DTS sound absolutely fine as is, any more "upgrades" past this point are just so electronics companies can sell new receievers. DD and DTS in their current states are exactly what you get in the theater. Sound really cannot, and should not be improved any further.

I agree - they should just stick with 5.1 DTS and focus on making better movies.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #30
James330I
Imported Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewey
What kind of L/R speakers do you have? Make/model?
definitive technogloy bipolar spakers (non powered)

Room size is 17 x 22, with speakers 2' from wall (which is within recommened range for bipolars)

2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

Old 03-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #31
stewey

Quote:
definitive technogloy bipolar spakers (non powered)

Room size is 17 x 22, with speakers 2' from wall (which is within recommened range for bipolars)
Which model?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:36 PM   #32
James330I
Imported Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewey
Which model?
i believe BP30...it's in storage right now....looking to get revel concertas once the house is done

2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

Old 03-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #33
stewey

Quote:
i believe BP30...it's in storage right now....looking to get revel concertas once the house is done
Nice. Those should definitely play fine without a center. Did you adjust your pre/processor to create a phantom center? If you run test tones with a 4.1 setup, you should still hear a center channel - if you don't, you're missing a step.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:24 PM   #34
TX330ci
TX Dinan 3

My Ride: women
hey Ryan, you ever done a 9.4 Media Room setup, thats what we are going with at the new house we are about to break ground on

Dzoccu nun ti appreni, nun dir né mali né beni

TX330ci is offline   Reply With Quote