E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2006, 12:11 AM   #1
///MACHINE
Registered User
 
///MACHINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,682
My Ride: is an immigrant
Arrow Mazda 6 Speed vs. 5 Series

Check out this article comparing the mazda 6 speed against a BMW 530i.


http://automotive.mytelus.com/automo...da&artid=56369

btw... most of the comparison in on the last page.
__________________
///MACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:06 AM   #2
aras_aslan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Germany--Aachen
Posts: 215
My Ride: 2004 325ci stick
Send a message via MSN to aras_aslan
Such a amatuer review. How can you campare that car to a 5 series which is in a class mazda doesnt even have.
__________________
----------------------------------------------------------------

aras_aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:38 AM   #3
EDawg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 4,773
My Ride: :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by aras_aslan
Such a amatuer review. How can you campare that car to a 5 series which is in a class mazda doesnt even have.
you're missing his whole point. the point he's trying to make is that for about half the price of a 530xi, you get a car that's awd, more powerful, quicker, yet almost as well equiped as the 530xi. he's basically saying, the mazdaspeed 6 is a great car and a great bargain, and is a good buy for anyone who cares to save some money and use it on other life's passions instead of on brand name and prestige. this is not to say that there aren't people who feel the 530xi is worth $55K-$60K, only that perceived value is based on one's priorities. nonetheless, there's nothing wrong with his assessment. the mazdaspeed6 IS a good value, considering what the car offers.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:01 AM   #4
Ryan320dsaloon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: N.Ireland
Posts: 71
My Ride: e46 m3
^^^^^^^^^^^^werd
Ryan320dsaloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #5
aras_aslan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Germany--Aachen
Posts: 215
My Ride: 2004 325ci stick
Send a message via MSN to aras_aslan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg
you're missing his whole point. the point he's trying to make is that for about half the price of a 530xi, you get a car that's awd, more powerful, quicker, yet almost as well equiped as the 530xi. he's basically saying, the mazdaspeed 6 is a great car and a great bargain, and is a good buy for anyone who cares to save some money and use it on other life's passions instead of on brand name and prestige. this is not to say that there aren't people who feel the 530xi is worth $55K-$60K, only that perceived value is based on one's priorities. nonetheless, there's nothing wrong with his assessment. the mazdaspeed6 IS a good value, considering what the car offers.
You re missing my whole point. If i look at things from your aspect, mazda 6 speed is better buy than a 740d(probably you dont have it in USA ) just because Mazda is faster, awd and cheaper on the other hand 740d comsumes less, more comfortablem has higher quality outside and inside, has larger room inside... Or Z06 vette is a better buy than a M5 just because vette is cheaper, faster. I m sorry but this is non sense. Every car is built for diffrent purposes. It is not only the prestige and brand name between 530xi and mazda 6. I hope you re getting my point. It is all about what you want from the car. That review is crap.
__________________
----------------------------------------------------------------

aras_aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:52 AM   #6
schon weg
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hartford, Connecticut
Posts: 470
My Ride: 2001 325xi

























.....and BMW is a prestigious name because of its quality of design and construction. Just because the world is home to fast-money douchebags buying fine cars strictly for the name certainly does not mean that the BMW brand is somehow sullied by those amateur, nouveau-riche proclivities.
__________________


2001 325xi: Jet Black, Black leather, Premium package, 3.0L DIY engine swap, ESS software, BFP CAI, Technik headers, custom TSE3, RT cats, Stage II fw w/ M5 clutch, pulleys, EVO3 SSK, H&R springs/Koni Sports, 18 BBS w/ S-03s, CDV omit, cosmetic stuff, et cetera.

Last edited by schon weg; 03-14-2006 at 08:05 AM.
schon weg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:02 AM   #7
rmepilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 427
My Ride: '01 325i, OH-58D(R)
Send a message via AIM to rmepilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by schon weg
The most accurate statement yet!
__________________
rmepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:03 AM   #8
Tenchi
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
 
Tenchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Boston --> Seattle
Posts: 3,825
My Ride: 330i, 535i
Send a message via AIM to Tenchi
that six looks nice tho
__________________


Quote:
Stay away from FedEx if you want your packages delivered in one piece.
Tenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:28 AM   #9
EDawg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 4,773
My Ride: :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by aras_aslan
You re missing my whole point. If i look at things from your aspect, mazda 6 speed is better buy than a 740d(probably you dont have it in USA ) just because Mazda is faster, awd and cheaper on the other hand 740d comsumes less, more comfortablem has higher quality outside and inside, has larger room inside... Or Z06 vette is a better buy than a M5 just because vette is cheaper, faster. I m sorry but this is non sense. Every car is built for diffrent purposes. It is not only the prestige and brand name between 530xi and mazda 6. I hope you re getting my point. It is all about what you want from the car. That review is crap.

i think you should try reading the article again more carefully, cuz apparently you are filtering out most of what the author is saying and just focusing on a couple of sentences to make your point. in the third to last paragraph, the author begins by saying, "Fully-loaded MAZDASPEED Sixes are priced under $40,000, but it's hard to place this car in an exact spot in the competitive landscape." this sentence is basically saying that he feels the mazdaspeed6 is in a unique category of its own and that it really isn't a direct competitor with any of the other cars out there. (of course this statement is flawed, cuz the mazdaspeed6 is a direct competitor of the subaru legacy gt, but that's besides the point.) he then goes on and makes comparisons with 2 cars in the market that are "similar" fundamentally (being AWD sedans), the WRX and 530xi, both of which, as he already acknowledged, are not direct competitors with the mazdaspeed6, but he makes the comparisons with them only to make a couple of points. compared with the wrx, the mazda offers more in size, power, features, and comfort without costing much more (thus the reason they are not direct competitors.) compared with the 530xi, a fully loaded mazdaspeed6 offers almost as much of the superfluous features and amenities as the bmw while costing nearly half its price (and thus the reason why they are also not direct competitors.) the 530xi, and not the 740d, for example, was chosen to illustrate his point because the mazdaspeed6 and 530xi are most comparable to each other fundamentally from the 2 companies--"Let's say you want a well-equipped and powerful sedan with all-wheel drive. From BMW, you would be looking at the slightly larger 5-Series." the author is not just comparing cars based merely on how fast they are relative to how much they cost compared with each other. his whole point of making the comparisons of the mazdaspeed6 with the wrx and 530xi is only to make the point that the mazdaspeed6 is in a unique category and doesn't really have any direct competitors (again, this statement is flawed.) he never implicated that the bmw 530xi was not worth more money--"Is the BMW worth more money? Sure it is. It's the pinnacle of European automotive performance."--but only that given the similarity in features and amenities between the mazda and the bmw the price difference is quite large, but he does understand that the bmw does offer certain things that the mazda doesn't, but whether or not the added attributes of the bmw (tangible or intangible) are worth that huge extra amount of money will depend on the individual--"Is it worth twice as much? Likely not--but it depends on what you find important." so to summarize, the comparison with the wrx and 530xi is only to make the point that the mazdaspeed offers a lot of features and amenities and is a great value, relative to what you get for the money. the author in no way implicated that the 530i and mazdaspeed6 are direct competitors with each other, nor that they should be direct competitors. therefore, from your examples, comparing a mazdaspeed6 with the 740d, or the z06 with the m5 does not reflect either the authors point of view or mine.

Last edited by EDawg; 03-14-2006 at 09:33 AM.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #10
Griff330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 279
My Ride: 01 330Ci
I bought my 330Ci used. Its a 2001 and I bought it when it was 5 years old (built 11/00). The mercedes dealer who took me for the test drive could not believe the car was 5 years old, it handled like it was brand new. No rattles, no engine roar and no wind noise with closed windows. When one of these new cars with more horsepower that keep comparing themselve to bimmers gets to be 5 years old and feels fresh off the showroom floor, I'll be impressed by them. Until then all I can say is nice car. But I have no reason to think its a better purchase than a Bimmer.

You can't just put a powerful engine in a small car and think you can take on BMW.

Another way to look at it is that if they are making that low price point they have to be cutting corners somewhere.
Griff330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Rome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: A house.
Posts: 19
My Ride: A car.
It's still a Mazda 6, at the end of the day you can buy an under warranty CPO 5 series and save money if you really wanted to play that numbers game. Are my D&G tshirts better than my Emporio shirts? No because I can't wear a tshirt to work. Same concept, they may offer the same thing; coverage of your nakedness, quality fabrics, fashionable look. Yet in the end they are not the same. And a word on cutting corners; check out their crash test safety ratings. Game set match.
__________________
If NISMO stands for Nissan Motorsports, does that make Honda Motorsports ****?

PM me for offers on M-Coupe.

Last edited by Rome; 03-14-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:04 AM   #12
chamber36
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orange County, Irvine
Posts: 126
My Ride: is a 3.2
Send a message via AIM to chamber36
i agree with the people who think this review sucks..... its the same as the hyundai azura or whatever comparing itself to the 7 series... all and all just because its faster and cheaper, its still a hyundai and still a mazda.
chamber36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #13
aras_aslan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Germany--Aachen
Posts: 215
My Ride: 2004 325ci stick
Send a message via MSN to aras_aslan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg
i think you should try reading the article again more carefully, cuz apparently you are filtering out most of what the author is saying and just focusing on a couple of sentences to make your point. in the third to last paragraph, the author begins by saying, "Fully-loaded MAZDASPEED Sixes are priced under $40,000, but it's hard to place this car in an exact spot in the competitive landscape." this sentence is basically saying that he feels the mazdaspeed6 is in a unique category of its own and that it really isn't a direct competitor with any of the other cars out there. (of course this statement is flawed, cuz the mazdaspeed6 is a direct competitor of the subaru legacy gt, but that's besides the point.) he then goes on and makes comparisons with 2 cars in the market that are "similar" fundamentally (being AWD sedans), the WRX and 530xi, both of which, as he already acknowledged, are not direct competitors with the mazdaspeed6, but he makes the comparisons with them only to make a couple of points. compared with the wrx, the mazda offers more in size, power, features, and comfort without costing much more (thus the reason they are not direct competitors.) compared with the 530xi, a fully loaded mazdaspeed6 offers almost as much of the superfluous features and amenities as the bmw while costing nearly half its price (and thus the reason why they are also not direct competitors.) the 530xi, and not the 740d, for example, was chosen to illustrate his point because the mazdaspeed6 and 530xi are most comparable to each other fundamentally from the 2 companies--"Let's say you want a well-equipped and powerful sedan with all-wheel drive. From BMW, you would be looking at the slightly larger 5-Series." the author is not just comparing cars based merely on how fast they are relative to how much they cost compared with each other. his whole point of making the comparisons of the mazdaspeed6 with the wrx and 530xi is only to make the point that the mazdaspeed6 is in a unique category and doesn't really have any direct competitors (again, this statement is flawed.) he never implicated that the bmw 530xi was not worth more money--"Is the BMW worth more money? Sure it is. It's the pinnacle of European automotive performance."--but only that given the similarity in features and amenities between the mazda and the bmw the price difference is quite large, but he does understand that the bmw does offer certain things that the mazda doesn't, but whether or not the added attributes of the bmw (tangible or intangible) are worth that huge extra amount of money will depend on the individual--"Is it worth twice as much? Likely not--but it depends on what you find important." so to summarize, the comparison with the wrx and 530xi is only to make the point that the mazdaspeed offers a lot of features and amenities and is a great value, relative to what you get for the money. the author in no way implicated that the 530i and mazdaspeed6 are direct competitors with each other, nor that they should be direct competitors. therefore, from your examples, comparing a mazdaspeed6 with the 740d, or the z06 with the m5 does not reflect either the authors point of view or mine.
Man, i respect you. You are definetly right with the point that i was foucusing on just two sentences and saying that review sucks. That was my bad. On the other hand i still think that comparision to Bmw is bullshieeet. I m saying again; diffrent classes, diffrent purposes. Apples and oranges
__________________
----------------------------------------------------------------

aras_aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #14
DC83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LOS AnGELES,CA
Posts: 409
My Ride: i walk--------
mazda speed6 is trash, PERIOD!!! ive read it somewhere on the mazda forum how A LOT of them have this mysterios crazy power lose probably due to heat soak(top mount with no scoop)for 35k,Id take a subaru legacy spec B over it any day.(better performance,better interior)
DC83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use