E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
F1 puts engine technology on hold

Formula One's ruling body, the FIA, has decided to introduce a three-year freeze on engine technology from 2008.

FIA president Max Mosley proposed the radical idea to cut costs, with top teams spending more than 200m a year.

Teams have also been told they have eight days, starting from Thursday, to sign up for the 2008 championship or risk losing their place.

The move increases the pressure on the five road-car makers in F1 who are threatening to set up a rival series.

Renault, BMW, Honda, Mercedes-Benz and Toyota say they will break away if they are not granted more say in the running of the sport, a greater share of its revenues, and more transparency in its governance.

Discussions on technical regulations for 2008 will start after the entry deadline closes on 31 March and will be open only to those teams who have signed up.

Any teams who miss the cut-off date can enter at a later date, but only if there are vacancies in a 12-team championship. Latecomers will have no say in shaping the rules.

An FIA statement said any rules that affected the design of the cars would be finalised by 30 June 2006, but that other rules could be "modified at any point up to the start of the 2008 season".

In a letter, Mosley said the 2008 sporting regulations, approved on Wednesday, had three aims:

To reduce the cost of competing to improve the sporting spectacle to maintain, and where possible, improve current safety standards. Other key changes for 2008 include:

the imposition of a single tyre manufacturer for at least three years, and removal of the requirement for grooved tyres
a restriction on testing to no more than 30,000km (18,600 miles) per team a year
a ban on spare cars
a weight penalty of 15kg if an engine is replaced before the end of its two-race cycle
gearboxes to last for four races

The rubber-stamping of the new rules effectively means the rebel teams have to sign up to the 2008 championship and try to effect the changes they want from within - seriously weakening their negotiating position.

The body representing the rebel teams, the Grand Prix Manufacturers' Association, sent a letter to Mosley on Tuesday detailing a number of concerns it had over the new sporting regulations, including the engine freeze, and asking that the FIA delay on some of those issues.

Mosley replied on Wednesday saying that the World Council had taken account of the GPMA's letter but pressed ahead because it had been given no alternative proposals.

He added that "although the 2008 sporting regulations are now fixed, any element could be changed on proposal of a simple majority of the entered teams".

The FIA's announcement comes at a time when a rapprochement between it and the rebel teams had appeared increasingly likely.

The plan to freeze engine specifications for three years means manufacturers would submit an engine design to the FIA before 2008.

They would only be allowed to make approved modifications after that time.

The idea was initially put forward by Renault, one of the five members of the GPMA.

But some of the other members of the GPMA are against it.

For them, F1's appeal is in its high-technology - and they oppose Mosley's plans for restricting technical freedom in a number of ways.

"We're not keen on the idea of freezing the whole engine," Honda's F1 boss Nick Fry told Autosport.com. "It makes it very impractical for all the engine manufacturers."

Toyota F1 boss John Howett added: "Three years out is quite a long way to freeze an engine after a very limited period of running with it."

Original article here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/4831706.stm
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
vincentvega9701
has a power steerin leak :/

My Ride: '01 325i, EMD F59PHI
its about damn time

vincentvega9701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
BMWintoxication
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai

My Ride: Jet Black02' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to BMWintoxication Send a message via MSN to BMWintoxication
if it wasn't for the F1 V10 engine that BMW used... would there be the E60 M5 engine today?...

how much linking is there from F1 engine technology to road cars?

Orz
BMWintoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
EIAlfonso

My Ride: 2011 535xi M Sport
Nothing like politics as the driving source in a racing series.

Like always they go overboard when making rules changes, it's either all or nothing. I thought they would of learned there lesson with the one set of tire rule and now they do this. I'm sure these guys are brilliant but sometimes they are just plain stupid.

I wonder if I should hold off on the US Grand Prix?
Old 03-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
rnitti

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325I
The rules are ridiculous. They try to instill them to cut costs, but all they wind up doing is making the team spend more money to make a smaller, less aero efficent car go faster. They should just let the teams move forward rather that making them go two steps backward to move a half step forward. I like F1, but not nearly as much as I use to. IMO, the teams should leave F1 and start the new break away series. F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of racing technology, and it's being dumbed down by rules that end up costing far more than they were ever designed to save. Screw F1. ALMS, Grand-Am and SPEED WC offer much better racing.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
shiro_46

My Ride: M54 B30
Really wishing the GPMA would work out .. too bad they gave in to the stupid European politics in FIA
shiro_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
mperfct
dot eleven N for the win

My Ride: 97 M3
Send a message via AIM to mperfct Send a message via MSN to mperfct Send a message via Yahoo to mperfct
Mosley is a tyrant.

My home theatre thread

Audi A6 4.2
mperfct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:28 AM   #8
330xiTreiber

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330xi
F1 is going to end up being the IRL. One engine and tire manufacture, basically one car with 20 different drivers. I love the amount of engineering that is involved in making one of these cars. They are supposed to be the cutting edge of technology. Technology cost money. I mean just look at how much it would cost to pull 1000 bhp out of a 2.4ltr V8. If this trend to "dumb" down these cars continues, F1 will be dead. And Max Mosley can take the credit.
330xiTreiber is offline   Reply With Quote