E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Picture Quality of DVI cables longer than 10m...

Hi!
I have my HDTV projector connected to my PC over standard Sub-D analog cable, since I heard the image quality of DVI cables longer than 10m literally sucks, next to the fact that they are ridiculously expensive.
I was wondering if anyone has had experiences with these cables at that length, and if there really is a significant difference in picture quality in comparisson to the analog cable...
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
blownE30M3

My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raznor
Hi!
I have my HDTV projector connected to my PC over standard Sub-D analog cable, since I heard the image quality of DVI cables longer than 10m literally sucks, next to the fact that they are ridiculously expensive.
I was wondering if anyone has had experiences with these cables at that length, and if there really is a significant difference in picture quality in comparisson to the analog cable...
If you are just speaking of PC, stick with the VGA. VGA cannot convert to DVI though, keep this in mind. We have run into multiple problems with pre-existing projectors run with VGA and using DVI switchers. It's just a mess.

If it is longer than 10m, get a Cat5 combiner and splitter and split your digital out into DVI that way.

Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #3
jetblackchew

My Ride: 03 ///M3 Cab
Digital is digital, there is no degradation of 0 and 1's. If you want a good price go to www.monoprice.com. That's if you're using the dvi out of your video card to dvi/hdmi on your tv. If you're going vga to vga thats a different story.
jetblackchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #4
Rayce185

My graohics card has two DVI connections, but I have to use adaptors for the normal Sub-D cables, like for my Monitor and the projector.
I've read that the shielding of 10m+ DVI's is too bad, that's why the picture is messed up.
I actually bought myself a 10m DVI cable for 90€ the first week I had my Projector. It said it was fully shielded and had gold connectors, but the picture still sucked, so I gave it back the next day and got a normal 10m Sub-D cable, which works perfectly.
It's just that I'm wondering if the picture quality COULD be any better, since my graphics card has two default DVI ports.
I found real high quality DVI cables in the proper length in the net, but I'm not really about to pay 250€+ for a cable, which I wouldn't even be sure of would work 100%.

So would it just be best to stick to the Sub-D, or actually get 2x 5m with a Cat5 Combiner and Splitter?
Old 03-08-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
blownE30M3

Quote:
My graohics card has two DVI connections, but I have to use adaptors for the normal Sub-D cables, like for my Monitor and the projector.
I've read that the shielding of 10m+ DVI's is too bad, that's why the picture is messed up.
I actually bought myself a 10m DVI cable for 90€ the first week I had my Projector. It said it was fully shielded and had gold connectors, but the picture still sucked, so I gave it back the next day and got a normal 10m Sub-D cable, which works perfectly.
It's just that I'm wondering if the picture quality COULD be any better, since my graphics card has two default DVI ports.
I found real high quality DVI cables in the proper length in the net, but I'm not really about to pay 250€+ for a cable, which I wouldn't even be sure of would work 100%.

So would it just be best to stick to the Sub-D, or actually get 2x 5m with a Cat5 Combiner and Splitter?
Havent had any problems with the Cat5 so far. Works purty good.

Old 03-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
Rayce185

Hmmm yeah, but would it make an actual difference if I'd change to it?
Old 03-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3
If you are just speaking of PC, stick with the VGA. VGA cannot convert to DVI though, keep this in mind. We have run into multiple problems with pre-existing projectors run with VGA and using DVI switchers. It's just a mess.

If it is longer than 10m, get a Cat5 combiner and splitter and split your digital out into DVI that way.
What's a cat5 combiner? do you have a link?
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
blownE30M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycE46
What's a cat5 combiner? do you have a link?
Its a peice that you plug a cat5 and dvi into and it transfers your digital video down a peice of cat5 to another peice where it converts it back out.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3104

Old 03-13-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
soheilm3
bored.

My Ride: definitly not an m3
Send a message via AIM to soheilm3
Quote:
Its a peice that you plug a cat5 and dvi into and it transfers your digital video down a peice of cat5 to another peice where it converts it back out.

good god 600 bucks. guess you have to pay to play.
--soheil

Taken
Smart
Beautiful

(pick 2 of the three only)
soheilm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
Rayce185

Okay... I guess I'll really stick to D-Sub then, because I'm really not prepared to pay that amount of money for the convenience of higher quality cables, especially due to the fact that the picture might not even be better....
Nevertheless, thanks guys for your help, much appreciated
Old 03-13-2006, 08:44 PM   #11
blownE30M3

Quote:
Okay... I guess I'll really stick to D-Sub then, because I'm really not prepared to pay that amount of money for the convenience of higher quality cables, especially due to the fact that the picture might not even be better....
Nevertheless, thanks guys for your help, much appreciated

Old 03-14-2006, 01:41 PM   #12
sycE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackchew
Digital is digital, there is no degradation of 0 and 1's. If you want a good price go to www.monoprice.com. That's if you're using the dvi out of your video card to dvi/hdmi on your tv. If you're going vga to vga thats a different story.

Are monoprice cables good? I'm planning on doing a bunch 50' runs.

planning on running 50'
Component
HDMI
Audio
and svideo
Old 03-14-2006, 01:43 PM   #13
soheilm3
bored.

Quote:
Are monoprice cables good? I'm planning on doing a bunch 50' runs.

planning on running 50'
Component
HDMI
Audio
and svideo
i've had good success with them and www.cablewholesale.com (make sure to google for their 10% off coupon).

can't say i've had any issues
--soheil

Taken
Smart
Beautiful

Old 03-15-2006, 01:26 AM   #14
sycE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by soheilm3
i've had good success with them and www.cablewholesale.com (make sure to google for their 10% off coupon).

can't say i've had any issues
--soheil
are you running component? HDMI?
Old 03-15-2006, 02:54 PM   #15
soheilm3
bored.

Quote:
are you running component? HDMI?
i think i pretty much have them all lol. s-video for some random thing, optical and digital audio, component video for a while with the tv tuner now hdmi/dvi, then dvi/hdmi for the dvd player, and composites for my n64.

--soheil

Taken
Smart
Beautiful

Old 03-30-2006, 12:52 AM   #16
PeRsIaN_PiMp

My Ride: gets me home.
Send a message via AIM to PeRsIaN_PiMp Send a message via MSN to PeRsIaN_PiMp
Quote:

If I buy one of those in each room, are you saying I could have HD quality broadcasting in each of my rooms? (And yes, I already have CAT6 running throughout my entire house and a central gigabit switch).

If so, hot damn, I would love that. I am assuming I could even use a PC or a router to direct the traffic and control what data goes to what room.
when I just mean stay the night
but the words you want to hear
you will never hear from me

--
PeRsIaN PiMp (Pē)
PeRsIaN_PiMp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:56 PM   #17
blownE30M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeRsIaN_PiMp
If I buy one of those in each room, are you saying I could have HD quality broadcasting in each of my rooms? (And yes, I already have CAT6 running throughout my entire house and a central gigabit switch).

If so, hot damn, I would love that. I am assuming I could even use a PC or a router to direct the traffic and control what data goes to what room.
No. Needs to be direct. It's not a network device. It just uses CatV wire for the transfer.