E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
Razcal

My Ride: AW 335xi
i-drive...what is all the fuss?

I have been using the idrive in my e60 for over a week now. It isn't difficult to use at all. I love having all the functions of the car being controlled under my palm. What is all the complaint about when it first came out? Having idrive really clears up the dash a lot by getting rid of all the buttons. I love it!!!
Razcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Nay330Ci

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Old farts that can barely turn on a computer don't like it.

For everyone else, it's just fine.

Nay330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
Unveiled

I agree. I've always wondered why so many people had issues with IDrive. I drive is easier to use than most current cell phones, yet, people have no issues operating them. I attribute such nonsense to laziness on the part of the consumer.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
delta

My Ride: A4 2.0TQ 6MT
My dad has an E60 and I used the iDrive for like 2 minutes and got it instantly. For some people it may take a week or so to learn and the journalists probably have the test cars for only less than a week, so their opnions on iDrive are quite different.

Just make sure you get the latest update because it likes to freeze at times (In my dad's car there was a CD in playing from the last trip. Then when I used his car to fill it up for him, iDrive froze for the whole day and the annoying CD just kept playing. I ended up just muting the stereo.)
Old 04-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #5
najeroni

My Ride: vroom
band wagon. that is the answer, once person said it sucks, another person and then it continued.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #6
Transporter99

My Ride: Audi A5 3.2/6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay330Ci
Old farts that can barely turn on a computer don't like it.

For everyone else, it's just fine.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

The I-drive debuted in the 7-series, a car with a much higher average age for it's buyers (high 40's/ low 50's if I remember). That's says it all. The Stanford engineers of the I-Drive should have taken that into consideration, but oh well.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:20 AM   #7
Unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by najeroni
band wagon. that is the answer, once person said it sucks, another person and then it continued.

Ahhhhhh, another case of the mob mentality eh? I think you're spot on.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:47 AM   #8
NZE46

My Ride: 330d Touring Auto M
Hi, all,

Don't forget that the i Drive in the E60, E87 and E90 is a simplified version of that which originally came out in the 7 series. The latest versions have only 4 directional points as compared to the original version's 8.

Having driven a 5 series with i Drive, I do admit that it is now easier to use than the original version. However, having said that, it's still not intuitive enough and takes far too long to do a simple operation like re-direct air flow or switch stereo settings. Bring back the dash knobs, please!

Personally, I also find the twin cowl dash that comes with i Drive plain ugly.

And yes, I am in the old fart group, being above 40.

Last edited by NZE46; 04-04-2006 at 04:50 AM.
NZE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:14 AM   #9
tipsyhemi

My Ride: a4, S550, titanic
ahhhh i got to point out that my i-drive freezes and is just annoying to use.

people like me looks past the i-drive when buying a car like the 7. My biggest gripe is that to change the direction of climate control, i have to go into a menu

yeah its learnable but its also annoying the amount of time u take ur eyes of the road

tipsyhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
rbarke

My Ride: M5
My i-drive crashed

Well its a computer after all. Mine went out yesterday. It just stopped working. You can still drive the car but can't access anything in the i-drive. The radio doesn't work but I don't mind listening to the engine untill I get it fixed. Thank heavens its not windows based otherwise this would be a common occurance.
rbarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:01 PM   #11
delta

My Ride: A4 2.0TQ 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarke
Well its a computer after all. Mine went out yesterday. It just stopped working. You can still drive the car but can't access anything in the i-drive. The radio doesn't work but I don't mind listening to the engine untill I get it fixed. Thank heavens its not windows based otherwise this would be a common occurance.
It is windows based...
Old 04-06-2006, 04:22 AM   #12
NZE46

My Ride: 330d Touring Auto M
Why all the unnecessary complication? i Drive should be an option for those who want it and conventional switchgear be there for those who don't.

BMW is losing it as competitor systems such as M-B's COMMAND and Audi's MMI are lots easier to use, though I am still not a fan of either.
NZE46 is offline   Reply With Quote