E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
How bad are "wheel cleaners"...

Before buying my CSL wheels (which I still haven't put back on for the warmer months), I always used wheel cleaners (spray on cleaner, wash on with a mit, and spray off with water). However, when I put on the CSls, I started only cleaning them with soap and water (from the soap bucket used to clean the car). I would apply it with an old mit. Are spray on cleaners bad for the rims? Should I continue using soap and water to clean the CSL reps or is it much better for them to only use soap and water?

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Soap and water are your best bet. Then follow it up with a good wheel sealant to keep the wheels looking new.

A lot of wheel cleaners contain acids and harsh chemicals that can damage the paint causing it to flake or fade in time. You don't want that.

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

wheel sealent meaning wheel wax?

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
Old 04-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
yeah. WheelWax, Poorboys Wheel Sealant, etc.

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

yeah i bought some and use it maybe once a month...i kinda wanna put it on again before mounting the wheels

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Old 04-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Many commercial wheel cleaners use harsh chemicals that can clean the wheel but also have harmful effects. Some will harm the wheel in one use while some can harm the wheel with regular use. I recommend using traditional soap and water or a ph balanced wheel cleaner like the P21S Wheel Gel. This product is safe for any wheel finish and will not harm the wheel. For the most difficult stains or embedded brake dust you can use a metal polish.

After you're done cleaning it apply the Wheel Wax or the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant to reduce the amount of time spent cleaning and the wheels look great.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
OCDGarage
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Cabrio M3, Carbon
What ever you do don't use acids. They will etch your clear coat in no time and even rust out your calipers. Any wheel care products that state spray on hose off most likely contain harsh acids (pH less than 7 or bases pH greater than 7).

The problem I have with most de-greasers is that they contain sodium hydroxide. This is a caustic chemical that is very basic (pH greater than 7). Products like these tend to do 2 things. They speed up oxidation (especially aluminum) and the remove grease and oil. Because factory wheels contain paint and clear they also contain essential oils just the paint on the car that help the paint to look healthy and keep from drying out. De-greasers remove these oils and dry out painted surfaces prematurely.

The fix: wash your wheels with car wash soap and water. Always start with the least aggressive pH balanced solution you can. If it doesn't work then go to the next step. If you maintain with soap and water regularly or even P21S wheel cleaner it becomes a very simple task. Add a coat of wheel sealant to this process once in a while and it becomes even easier.

Remember your wheels are clear coated. Use you paint care products. If your wheels are looking a little dull, polish them with your car polish. If you don't have a wheel sealant put a coat of Klasse on them, it will work almost as well.

Brett @ OCD
OCDGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:29 AM   #8
48.haburt510

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325 Ci
Send a message via AIM to 48.haburt510
Question about My wheels

Hi
I been using the Eagle One Aluminum Spray Cleaner and on the bottle says it Clear Coat Aluminum Safe. My Car build up So much brake dust even with After Market Ceramic brake pads. I dont even think I can get rid of the all the break dust alone with the use of use just Soap and water. The Eagle one sprays really brake it down. but i still have little areas of brake dust build up that are hard to get too. Can any one tell me what i should use to get to those hard to reach areas with out using any thing harsh that would scratch my rims. Im have the Iforged Equips. Also when I apply the Wheels Wax to my rims should i use a buffer fo buff the wax on or should i just give it a little rub down? Thanks if you can help me out.....

48.haburt510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:59 AM   #9
MPossible

My Ride: track star
^^So are you guys saying the p21s wheel gel will not damage the finish on brushed alumminum rims with polished lip and clearcoated face?
any type of guarantee so I dont wreck them? lol
ie. lip chipping etc.
My previous thoughts were that wheel cleaners are not safe for custom wheels but if it is that is even better. Do you guys use p21s on a reg basis with DPEs, HREs, and the like with no problem?

Last edited by MPossible; 04-11-2006 at 02:02 AM.
MPossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:04 AM   #10
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPossible
^^So are you guys saying the p21s wheel gel will not damage the finish on brushed alumminum rims with polished lip and clearcoated face?
any type of guarantee so I dont wreck them? lol
ie. lip chipping etc.
My previous thoughts were that wheel cleaners are not safe for custom wheels but if it is that is even better. Do you guys use p21s on a reg basis with DPEs, HREs, and the like with no problem?
the p21s is absolutely safe for all wheel finishes, it contains nothing that would harm your wheels.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #11
OCDGarage
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Cabrio M3, Carbon
Davidwarren would be correct. P21S is pH banalced and will not hurt un-clearcoated aluminum or other delicate surfaces. Those are the types of wheels P21S is ideal for.

Brett @ OCD
OCDGarage is offline   Reply With Quote