E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 10:12 PM   #21
djsunkim

My Ride: beema
so this is for better gas mileage? my car has 51k and its an 01
djsunkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:51 PM   #22
Danbar99
has a nice car

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg
if one was wearing rubber gloves, does one still need to worry about grounding himself/herself to prevent static electricity??
Rubber gloves will be disolved by the gasoline...

oh and a tip for removing the hoses... get small needle nose pliers that dont have a rough gripping texture; put them open under the hose between the filterbody and hose, and then using the filterbody as a wedge push up the hose. This method popped the hoses off nice and easy with no damage for me.

Last edited by Danbar99; 03-31-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Danbar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #23
Tom Busby

My Ride: 2001 325i, 1995 318i
Now I see why BMW doesn't replace the fuel filter at every Inspection II, because Mechanic says the official service life is 100,000 miles.

My experience was that at 85,000 miles, my 325i gas milleage suddenly went from 23mpg to 21mpg, so I replaced the fuel filter, and my mpg went back to 23+mpg. I suppose the regulator in the fuel filter has some seals that get soft and wear out.

Just cut the BMW filter open and look at the filter media, and compare it to a GM fuel filter, which also has a service life of 100,000 miles, as per GM. The BMW gas filtration-media component is about 5 times larger than the GM media, and I conclude that the BMW filter is much better than it needs to be, but the regulator portion has a slightly more limited service life.
Tom Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #24
Vornado

My Ride: Wood sleigh
Every expert ive talked to recommends a fuel filter change every 2 years. Even every year wont hurt. BMW says it will last up to 100k miles. They also state their transmission fluid is "lifetime." this is all BS. Even though the parts are more advanced today, they still wear down and decline in performance after a certain point. Thats why it never hurts to change the filter. and for $20 and half an hour or so, how can you go wrong? You also extend the life of your fuel pump and fuel system this way
Vornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #25
InSuboRdiNaTioN
Mmm, Pancakes.

My Ride: Collects dust.
I'd swear there was a schrader valve in the engine bay to relieve pressure in the fuel line... maybe I'm thinking of my old car, but I'll check next time I'm home. It makes things a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvega9701
one moment, you're rolling. the next, you're blowing a guy for a sandwich
InSuboRdiNaTioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:28 PM   #26
wluk

My Ride: 330Ci
Just changed it over the weekend. It was kind of different to get the tubes out of the fuel filter in the tight space. But it was well worth it for $40 and wasted some gas while changing. It seems like it fixed the RPM dead spot problem as well. At least now the car feels much better.
wluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:25 AM   #27
rruiter

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG2 Coupe
surprised

I'm surprised BMW uses simple hoses with clamps instead of some sort of quick connect mechanism. (which would make you run tot he store to get soem sort of special tool no doubt)
This part is pressurized so be sure to tighten the clamps enough.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #28
Score

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Get a trim pulling tool

This would have been impossible without a trim pulling tool that I had lying around. It is essentially a mini pry bar; a small screwdriver sized tool with a fork at the end. I was able to pry the hoses off very easily with this after struggling with a screwdriver for 20 minutes.
Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 PM   #29
drummersam65

My Ride: 323i
even though i pulled the fuse, and let it die, then cranked it a few times, it still spayed fuel EVERYWHERE!! I would suggest trying to start the car a number of times with the fuse pulled... just my 2 cents.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:50 PM   #30
Immortal

My Ride: 2006 Titan LE
Send a message via AIM to Immortal
Anyone have any suggestions on where one can get the fuel filter for $40?
Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #31
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
www.autohausaz.com, free shipping over 50$. good luck.
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #32
element

My Ride: 02 330CI 3 Pedals
Fuel Filter

I just performed this over the weekend. It wasn't too difficult but I ran into a few unexpected things.

1) I would get 6 new clamps from the dealer before performing this. I have a 02 330CI and my clamps were not bolt shaped they were rounded and could only be removed by a screwdriver and needed pliers to tighten. I bought 4 new clamps and they can be removed/tightened using a 5mm socket.

2) after pulling fuse #54 my car kept starting and would not die, I proceeded anyway.

3) taking the hoses off is not fun, the pictures in the DIY show nice clean lines etc. Living in the northeast = havoc for your undercarraige. The lines meeting the hoses were full of gunk. I took an awl and cleaned where the house met the fuel lines to "break the seal" I removed the hoses from the lines first not the filter. then removed the hoses from the filter when it was off the car.

4) gas kept pouring out of one line from the tank in a pencil thick stream. I expected it to stop but it did not. Anyone else have this problem? So this led to my next issue.

5) I rushed to get the filter back on because the gas kept coming. well not only does it have a front and back, which was obviously correct, it also must be positioned properly on the lines. There is an arrow on both sides of the filter so it looked like It was right. Well my car wouldn't start, I checked the pics and realized I put the filter on upside down.

I then quit for the night and proceeded to kill two 64 ounce growlers from the local brewery to forget my stupidity and my anxiousness about breaking my car.

the next morning I inverted and fuel filter in 15 minutes and it started up first try.

I changed all of my fluids and filters this weekend for inspection II and I don't know if it's placebo but it revs faster and pulls harder.

Thanks to whoever wrote up this DIY in the first place. I've been dreading this for months but Never would have tried it without the pics.
element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #33
PreppyR6

My Ride: shines like justice
This is one of the best diys ever. I just did this and had absolutely no problems.

Instead of bending the protective cover i just took out the extra bolts. Theyre the same size as the screws (2 of them)
Old 02-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #34
PreppyR6

My Ride: shines like justice
Also, where goggles or something. Theres a lot of crap that comes off as youre removing this stuff.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:37 PM   #35
EIAlfonso

My Ride: 2011 535xi M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSuboRdiNaTioN View Post
I'd swear there was a schrader valve in the engine bay to relieve pressure in the fuel line... maybe I'm thinking of my old car, but I'll check next time I'm home. It makes things a lot easier.
I belive there is one by the fuel rail
Old 02-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #36
er1c

My Ride: 2005 M3
Send a message via AIM to er1c
I, too, followed this DIY (last year) --- and the only problem I ran into was that the bolts on the steel cover snapped ... I had to extract them out.

This is definitely the DIY guide to follow for changing your fuel filter!
er1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #37
dudelove

My Ride: Hybrid E46
If you have the older fuel filter WITHOUT the pressure regulator, it's even easier. I'dd add this to the DIY:
  • Leave the clamps attached to the fuel filter. Unscrew the ones on the outside edge of the hose.
  • Pry the hose off SLOWLY! Create a bit of gap to release the pressure (get ready for some gas spraying - not fun).
  • Take off fuel filter with both hoses still attached.
  • Measure, cut, and attach the new hoses to the new filter.
  • Slide the clamps in (2 per side).
  • Attach the fuel filter and hose back on the fuel lines with some twisting and turning.

Tips:
  • Get 4 clamps and 1-2 feet of new hose.
  • Tighten all the clamps at the end, because you want the bolt head facing down for tightening.
  • Gasoline burns the skin and face. I learned the hard way.
dudelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #38
rneily

My Ride: 2001 Ti. Silver M3
Will this DIY also work for the E46 M3?
rneily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #39
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Here we go...

I'll be doing it on a lift so it might come easy.
sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #40
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Has anyone thought of starting the engine and letting it conk off after starving from fuel?