E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
01BMW3Coupe

My Ride: 2001 325ci
U.S. Grand Prix or Canadian Grand Prix?

As you know, the F1 season is soon approaching and I would like to order tickets in advance for either venue, but I was wondering if anyone has gone to the Canadian Grand Prix up in Montreal. I was at the USGP last year, so the 700 mile trip was no bother for me, so the drive to Montreal will be shorter. I'm just curious to see if there's a lot more things to do up in Montreal because its gonna be pretty dull in Indy if I'm staying there for 4 nights. Im aware the tickets for Montreal cost as much as $300 for the weekend, but I'm pretty sure it'll be definately worth it.
01BMW3Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
DMXtremeZHP

Location: Ridgewood NJ, Long Branch NJ, NYC, Boston, MA, Edgewater NJ
My Ride: 04 330i ZHP & 13 S4
Send a message via AIM to DMXtremeZHP
That sucked that you had to see that horrible USGP last year, did they give you anything in return for this years USGP?

I want to do the Montreal one, but finding a hotel was near impossible last year for me... when are the dates of the USGP and Montreal GP this year?

Modified* 2004 Silver Gray BMW 330i ZHP
Rogue Engineering|aFe|H&R|Hotchkis|Dinan|Shark|JL|DICE|etc.

FOR SALE!!! PM OR EMAIL ME: wjn126@gmail.com

Garage:
2013 Audi S4|2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit|2008 Mercedes-Benz ML550|2008 BMW X5 3.0si|2011 Mercedes-Benz SL550
DMXtremeZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
01BMW3Coupe

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Canadian is June 25th, USGP is July 2. I did get a refund check from Michelin instead of having them automatically ordering a pair of tickets for this year's event cause i wasnt sure whether i was going to indy again. i've been looking for hotels in the montreal area and they are extroadinarily expensive....about 200-300 a night and i'll be there for 4. as for last years race, i thought it was ridiculous....not only the decision the FIA made, but also that a$$shole that threw a foster's can on to the track (i actually saw the guy throw it).
01BMW3Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
DMXtremeZHP

Location: Ridgewood NJ, Long Branch NJ, NYC, Boston, MA, Edgewater NJ
My Ride: 04 330i ZHP & 13 S4
Send a message via AIM to DMXtremeZHP
damn, that's what I heard that they would buy everyone tickets again, I didn't think Michelin would actually do that.

I don't think I'll be able to do either of the GP's this year... those 2 dates are too close to my brother's graduation and a trip to TX

Modified* 2004 Silver Gray BMW 330i ZHP
Rogue Engineering|aFe|H&R|Hotchkis|Dinan|Shark|JL|DICE|etc.

FOR SALE!!! PM OR EMAIL ME: wjn126@gmail.com

Garage:
2013 Audi S4|2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit|2008 Mercedes-Benz ML550|2008 BMW X5 3.0si|2011 Mercedes-Benz SL550
DMXtremeZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
jmsanders78

My Ride: 328i, Z4
I drove up to Montreal a couple of years ago. We couldn't find a hotel close to the track, so we stayed kinda far out where there wasn't much stuff to do. We still had a killer time. I would rather go to Montreal than Indy, but Indy is only a couple of hours from me so that may not be saying a whole lot.
jmsanders78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
Seth_Horwitz

My Ride: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50
Go to the Montreal GP without a question. I've gone a few times, and it's usually pretty crazy. The race is the least interesting part of the weekend. The laws are, how should I say, more liberal up there which leads to a bit of fun. As previously mentioned, hotels are a nightmare to get. Any decent hotel will make you book a room from Thursday night until Monday. (Stay at the Ritz if you want to hang with Scuderia Ferrari. $$$$$) If you drive home on Sunday after the race, realize that everyone on the road thinks that they're Michael Schumacher. If you're not standing on the gas pedal, you'll get rear-ended. Good luck.
Seth_Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
kdjohn72

My Ride: 330ci
I've been going to the Montreal GPF1 the past 6 or 7 years. Its a great time. Montreal is a fun city with A LOT happening downtown. Make sure to visit Newtown on Cresent Street. Its a club/restaurant/bar owned by Jacque Villenue. You may see Jacque and his buddies there on Thursday or Friday before the race. There is so much going on, Im still amazed every year. BMW always has a street show they call M-night. The street is closed to M cars only and the team drivers and engineers usually show up. As for watching the race....Depends on what you want to spend on tickets. More $$$..better show. As far as hotels, either book in advance or try the dorms at McGill College. They rent them for race weekend. Very reasonable rates and walking distance to subway, downtown, etc.

Indy is better if you are soley interested in seeing the cars...but no night life.

ps...as others mentioned...the ride to/from the track is FAST. Once you cross into the US slow down, NYS patrol always has their camaro on patrol. On the Canadian side, I typically find a Ferrari or something to follow and have never had a problem.

good luck...see you there !!
Old 02-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #8
jmsanders78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjohn72
ps...as others mentioned...the ride to/from the track is FAST.
Yeah. I think we were travelling at between 100 and 110 mph pretty consistently on the way back. We had to slow down to about 80 though since we couldn't make it to the US with the amount of fuel we had left (and we wanted to). For about 20 miles after we slowed up the computer-estimated mileage remaining in the tank continued increasing...
Old 02-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #9
///MACHINE

My Ride: is an immigrant
we all live in igloos and have pet beavers
Old 02-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #10
jmsanders78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardar
we all live in igloos and have pet beavers
It's not like that I don't remember the details, but for some reason we wanted to pay cash and we were out of Canadian dollars. Something stupid like that.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #11
iluv2xlr8

My Ride: 2006 AW 330ci ZHP
Def go to the Canadian GP. I've gone the past three years and had nothing short of a blast. Like kdjohn was saying indy for cars, montreal for nightlife. The BMW showcase is pretty cool aswell.
iluv2xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #12
vincentvega9701
has a power steerin leak :/

My Ride: '01 325i, EMD F59PHI
hm, i'd go to the indy race for the the pit walk-throughs that are open to the public ... on the wednesday before the race, right?

has anyone actually gone to that? how was it? i imagine the teams hide all the good sh*t but still, i imagine itd be fun this year. with all the news teams n' such. getting to check out the new hardware up close would be cool.

vincentvega9701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
trippinbillies4

My Ride: '02 Mini, '13 FR-S
Pit walk throughs just mean you can walk up to the fences in fron of the garages. You can't actually walk into the garage. Both times I've been to the USGP, I met up with my buddy who is on team Ferrari, so I got to tour the garage and meet everyone. However, if you're looking to get close to a car and hear on rather close, the pit day on thursday is your best bet.

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS, '13 Scion FR-S #40CS, '12 Ducati SF848
trippinbillies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #14
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
You're about 30 feet from the actual pit area but it's still nice. I liked the renault team's attitude........they seemed to be the most down to earth. I'll be there this year for thursday's pit walk about thru sunday's race

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #15
Modena NYC

My Ride: Something Cool
Canada. Better women. Better bars.
Modena NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:08 AM   #16
kafka

My Ride: BMW //M3 (E46)
What everyone said. Go to MTL. I did last year and it was a blast, and a part of downtown really, really, really gets into F1 party mode, exhibition F1 cars, a souped up rice-r, etc. I can share my kodakgallery album with you if you like.

Like someone said, slow down on the US side, I forget the city's name but been caught there twice... huge speed trap that stretches for tens of miles.
E46 M3, mods: Aux Line In, Garage Door Universal Transmitter, CF Roundels, Clear Reflectors, Silvervision Clear Bulbs turn signals, Xenonmatch Foglights, BMWCCA Insignia on Grill, NYS BMWCCA Custom Plate.
Future Mods: Lumbar Support Retrofit, Owner Brain Transplant.
-------

Last edited by kafka; 04-12-2006 at 12:14 AM.
kafka is offline   Reply With Quote