E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
machined

My Ride: E91
Why is understeer better for the average driver?

I've always heard this was true.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
bagher

My Ride: Marshmallow logic
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
easier to correct than oversteer.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
Antroiny
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)

My Ride: 2005 ///M3
Exactly. It's easier to regain control of the vehicle when you're skidding facing forwards than it is skidding facing backwards.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
machined

I'd much prefer the back end to slip out than the front just continue to push forward though...?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
bagher

My Ride: Marshmallow logic
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
buy a car with oversteer then.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:31 PM   #6
Antroiny
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)

My Ride: 2005 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstydude
I'd much prefer the back end to slip out than the front just continue to push forward though...?
You are in the minority, and auto manufacturers sell to the majority. Do you think the average Joe or Soccer Mom would prefer the back end of their car to come around if they took the freeway offramp 5 mph too fast? Imagine the lawsuits that would come from people spinning out all over the place if cars were setup to oversteer. Most people would consider that poor design and a faulty product (the main reason the Chevy Corvair's lifespan was so short).

With understeer, it's easier to recover by gently lifting off the brake or straigtening the steering wheel until traction is regained, and continuing on your way.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
machined

That's scary lol. In a panic most people don't think to do that and just keep on sliding straight. I've always thought was Corvair was pretty cool lookin. Poor car..
Old 04-12-2006, 06:25 PM   #8
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
In short liability for the car manufacturer.

Most people don't have the ability to correct oversteer. Either they dont understand the concept of steering/looking where you want to go, they're not quick enough, or they hit the brakes which only exaggerates the oversteer into a spin.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #9
TaiFong
The Whirlwind

My Ride: 2000 323i
If you really want some oversteer, the easiest way would be to ensure that your REAR tyres have something like 3-8psi LESS air than your fronts (yes, this induces oversteer and not understeer as you might think).

No, actually I'm not Asian.
TaiFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #10
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiFong
If you really want some oversteer, the easiest way would be to ensure that your REAR tyres have something like 3-8psi LESS air than your fronts (yes, this induces oversteer and not understeer as you might think).

Can you elaborate more on that? I always though more air in the rear would promote oversteer?

Edit: I actually prefer oversteer as well... <3 teh drift

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:47 PM   #11
TwoE46s

My Ride: Dinan 330ci & 325it
Oversteer is exaggerated by lifting or applying the brakes - 99.9% of people hit the brakes when they panic for whatever reason. If you begin to sense that you may loose the backend, and apply the brakes, the wieght transfers forward off the rear and the rear end comes around. When I hear that someone "spun out" in a street "accident", my assumption is they were nowhere near the limits of traction, and hit the brakes "making" themselves spin out, when they probably could have driven out of the situation if they had a clue.

For understeer, you correct it by lifting and getting the weight to shift to the front providing more traction and correcting the understeer.

For those of you who think you like oversteer, I would ask you to go to a DE and run through a few very high speed corners, and then tell me you want oversteer. I can tell you the last thing I want in Turns 12 or 1 at Road Atlanta is a car with a twitchy rear end................ Plenty of 911s have found the inside wall coming out of both of those corners - at the limits, it's "don't even think about lifting", but the good thing is with a bit of understeer you have a chance if you have to feather the trottle a bit, with a car with oversteer, your saying hello to the inside wall as soon as you come off the gas peddle.

Unless you're Bill Auberlin, you're probably much better off with a car with understeer..............
17X8 BBS RXs & 225/45 Toyo Proxes 4s
Coupe:(sold)
Dinan "S" plus Throttle Body & Stg 3 Software
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
UUC Shifter
UUC Underdrive Pulleys
Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on factory M Double Spoke 68s
Track Stuff - 17X8 OZ SuperLeggeras & 235/40 Toyo RA1s; Shroth Harnesses

Last edited by TwoE46s; 04-13-2006 at 01:05 PM.
TwoE46s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:49 PM   #12
jun14scr
booo for body roll.

My Ride: 2009 335i.
oversteer might be fun sometimes, but i hate chasing the tail end of my car all over the place while trying to manage a quick lap.

if you guys really love oversteer, you could set up your cars to have a more oversteer oriented bias through tire sizes, sway bar settings, and shock settings.

go for it.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #13
topazmania
Ogler of Women and Mods

My Ride: '01 M3 cab, '90 325i
Oversteer at 20-30mph is fun. At 80mph it is NOT fun. At higher speeds, your suspension is less responsive to corrections. What tends to happen is you crank in the correction on the wheel and nothing happens since the suspension can't respond fast enough and you crank even more on the wheel as a result. As soon as the suspension catches up with your steering input, you've got too much opposite lock on the wheel and you get snapped around going the other way. It's a much faster and more violent spin. I'm glad it happened to me at the track with no walls around.

Understeer is safer for the untrained driver. The natural response for most people is to lift and/or brake when they've lost traction. For understeer, that is the correct response. For oversteer, the correct response can be to either lift slightly, stay on the gas, or give it more gas, depending on what caused the oversteer.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #14
TaiFong
The Whirlwind

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrivea328I
Can you elaborate more on that? I always though more air in the rear would promote oversteer?

Edit: I actually prefer oversteer as well... <3 teh drift
I should say first that inducing oversteer using the tire PSI method is a nice way to get a stock, understeer-prone car (such as our 3ers) to feel a bit more neutral. Actual twitchy oversteer is not fun to deal with.

Anyway, back on the subject. The tyre sidewalls are the key factor for this effect. When your rear tyres have less air than your fronts, your rear sidewalls flex to a greater degree, causing instability of that tyre relative to the front. It is true that at these levels, a tyre with less air has a greater contact patch, and therefore more grip, but the sidewall flex overcomes this.

No, actually I'm not Asian.

Last edited by TaiFong; 04-14-2006 at 12:59 PM.
TaiFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:27 PM   #15
robweenerpi

My Ride: GMC Seirra(Tow Rig)
Any tire has an optimum pressure it wants to run at on any given car and suspension. Anywhere above that optimum pressure will reduce the tires grip as well. Back when I autoxed a FWD car sometimes I'd run Giant pressure in the rear tires at events to get the car to rotate as well. Either way under or overinflated tires is a rather poor substitute for actually coming up with a good setup.
robweenerpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #16
jun14scr
booo for body roll.

My Ride: 2009 335i.
bimmerworld is located out of radford? woahhh.