E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
BMW_ARP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1
My Ride: 2012 BMW F10
DLP crew: Need help choosing a TV

Im in the market for buying a new tv and ive been looking at these two sets. They both seem pretty nice and price isn't too high IMO. I dont know much about the newest technologies out for tv sets so i wanted to ask anyone here who either has either set or has seen it in person. They are both 1080p i believe. I have no clue what all the bells and whistles these two sets come with are. Any opinions would be great. Thanks


TOSHIBA - 62HM195



Samsung - HL-R6168W

Last edited by BMW_ARP; 04-14-2006 at 10:12 AM.
BMW_ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
flush01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: toronto
Posts: 416
My Ride: 3 3 0
i got 56" samsung, i've had it for like a year now, not a single problem and the quality is AMAZING.... when I was buying it, it was between toshiba and samsung too, i picked samsung
flush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #3
BMW_ARP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1
My Ride: 2012 BMW F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flush01
i got 56" samsung, i've had it for like a year now, not a single problem and the quality is AMAZING.... when I was buying it, it was between toshiba and samsung too, i picked samsung

the same model but different size? Thanks for the input, i am leaning more towards the samsung but id like some more opinions.
BMW_ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
flush01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: toronto
Posts: 416
My Ride: 3 3 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_ARP
the same model but different size? Thanks for the input, i am leaning more towards the samsung but id like some more opinions.
ya same thing just 4" smaller... i went to the store where they had them all side by side, toshiba, samsung, some plasma tv, sony lcd playing the same thing in HD ... and I kid you not, samsung looked even better then plasma (but i know that cant be true) ... so ya thats all i gatta say

also i did research before I was buying as well, toshiba had alot of problems with sound and something else I don't remember, most websites rates samsung #1 so thats why I picked it, and I wasn't disapointed yet.. knock on wood

tip: when you buying tv and you set your mind, go to the store and tell them you can buy it right away if they can throw in free 5 year warranty, the guy will go talk to the manager and i'm pretty sure they will give it to you (about $500 worth).. if not go to the different location and ask for same thing, i even got free stand for free as well

good luck
flush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
BMW_ARP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1
My Ride: 2012 BMW F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flush01
ya same thing just 4" smaller... i went to the store where they had them all side by side, toshiba, samsung, some plasma tv, sony lcd playing the same thing in HD ... and I kid you not, samsung looked even better then plasma (but i know that cant be true) ... so ya thats all i gatta say

also i did research before I was buying as well, toshiba had alot of problems with sound and something else I don't remember, most websites rates samsung #1 so thats why I picked it, and I wasn't disapointed yet.. knock on wood

tip: when you buying tv and you set your mind, go to the store and tell them you can buy it right away if they can throw in free 5 year warranty, the guy will go talk to the manager and i'm pretty sure they will give it to you (about $500 worth).. if not go to the different location and ask for same thing, i even got free stand for free as well

good luck
wow, thats pretty nice. I wish i could get a free stand but im most likely going to buy it from that site. Ive looked on best buy and other local stores websites and they're really high. The price on that site is pretty good. You cant beat a 62" DLP 1080p for about $2500.00.

Another question if you dont mind answering. What kind of equipment do you use with the tv as far as HD goes. Are you using HD programming? And also, is your tv 1080p also? You sound like you know about televisions and id like to know how i can get the 1080p signal. Ive heard thats the best resolution available right now but I have no clue how to produce that kind of image. Thanks for your opinion.
BMW_ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
sycE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,889
My Ride: 323ci
Samsung is always a safe bet with DLPs. They've been making DLP rear projections for ages. My friend had 2 Samsungs before he upgrade to a 65" 1080P HP DLP.

The only issue he's had with the Samsungs were bulbs dying in under a year.

As for 1080P source... Blue Ray and HD DVD may support it.
Check out this article about 1080P movies...
http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/13/e...s-to-be-1080p/
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
flush01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: toronto
Posts: 416
My Ride: 3 3 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_ARP
wow, thats pretty nice. I wish i could get a free stand but im most likely going to buy it from that site. Ive looked on best buy and other local stores websites and they're really high. The price on that site is pretty good. You cant beat a 62" DLP 1080p for about $2500.00.

Another question if you dont mind answering. What kind of equipment do you use with the tv as far as HD goes. Are you using HD programming? And also, is your tv 1080p also? You sound like you know about televisions and id like to know how i can get the 1080p signal. Ive heard thats the best resolution available right now but I have no clue how to produce that kind of image. Thanks for your opinion.
i got dish network hooked up, ya it has 1080 but im not sure if dish uses it but the picture is pretty damn good... this tv shines when you watch dvd's, quality simply amazing

Last edited by flush01; 04-15-2006 at 07:27 PM.
flush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:59 AM   #8
baller99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: LA
Posts: 92
My Ride: My whip
DLP is garbage, get a Sony SXRD or plasma.
baller99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
BMW_ARP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1
My Ride: 2012 BMW F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller99
DLP is garbage, get a Sony SXRD or plasma.
im glad you told me this because now im actually thinking about going with a 50" SXRD. 9 out of 10 people say its the best tv they've seen. Now the question is, what else do i need to buy with this tv as far as cables go.
BMW_ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:24 PM   #10
JBimmer01
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bay Area/Fresno
Posts: 277
My Ride: 335i
Samsung DLP all the way, have 2 in my home! Don't mess with SONY plasma...I originally was a big fan, but I had to return it 4 times to circuit city.
__________________
JBimmer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use