E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2002, 04:47 PM   #1
als
Aku. Soku. Zan.

My Ride: 2002 325i
How many of you here are still waiting for your backordered UUC TSE?

I ordered in March and 've been waiting since then, just wonder if anybody has been waiting longer than me.
als is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:10 PM   #2
Alan Chen

My Ride: BMW330 ci
Re: How many of you here are still waiting for your backordered UUC TSE?

Quote:
Originally posted by als
I ordered in March and 've been waiting since then, just wonder if anybody has been waiting longer than me.
i ordered in APRIL and i canceled it. wait to long and dont know when gonna send . ordered the REMUS exhaust

Last edited by Alan Chen; 05-19-2002 at 11:52 AM.
Alan Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 10:11 PM   #3
NickACS
BOOM!

My Ride: TWC E46 ETCC WB
I'm still waiting on my UUC sways!! Ordered them in February!!
NickACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 10:14 PM   #4
SilverPuppy

My Ride: 2000 323i SP PP XENO
I ordered mine 4-16 Got here yesterday.
SilverPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 10:14 PM   #5
SilverPuppy

My Ride: 2000 323i SP PP XENO
323 TSE not 325 TSE, those I think are more "backordered"
SilverPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 10:37 PM   #6
xS3x
mi casa @ technik

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via MSN to xS3x
i ordered mine on 4/15..and canceled it on wednesday..
ordered bb triflo on de same day and its arriving on monday!
xS3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 12:58 AM   #7
als
Aku. Soku. Zan.

My Ride: 2002 325i
So, what exhausts other than UUC that will improve performance?
If there's an alternative I thinking to get it. I'm getting tired waiting...
als is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 02:00 AM   #8
RonnieRenaldi
MPRESIV

My Ride: Dinan Supercharged M
Get Active Autowerke...

http://www.activeautowerke.com/
RonnieRenaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 08:20 AM   #9
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******

My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Guys,

323/328 TSE backorders are mostly caught up with - if yours has not shipped, it will on Monday.

325/330 TSE backorders are about to start shipping in a couple of days.

Swaybar orders have also started shipping.

We thank you all for being patient, and we are confident that waiting for your UUC product ensures that you are getting "the absolute best at any price".

- Rob

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

ALL CURRENT UUC SPECIALS:
-[ CLICK HERE ]
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 11:27 AM   #10
trkmedic69
Abominable Ho-Man

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Send a message via AIM to trkmedic69
I've posted this question several times:

"Does a cat-back exhaust provide more gains than a non cat-back?"

And while I've really gotten no answers, I'd have to assume the answer is yes. While both don't provide ground shaking gains, I'm pretty sure a cat-back would provide more... And most of them are about the same price as a new muffler (which is essentially what all the other "exhausts" are)...

BTW - I haven't bought anything yet...
Old 05-19-2002, 12:12 PM   #11
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******

My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally posted by trkmedic69
I've posted this question several times:

"Does a cat-back exhaust provide more gains than a non cat-back?"

And while I've really gotten no answers, I'd have to assume the answer is yes. While both don't provide ground shaking gains, I'm pretty sure a cat-back would provide more... And most of them are about the same price as a new muffler (which is essentially what all the other "exhausts" are)...

BTW - I haven't bought anything yet...
Depends what car you are talking about, what exhaust system you are referring to, and your basic understanding of where the cats are in the particular car in question.

Let's assume we're talking about an E46 here (surprise!).

The E46 is a departure for BMW in terms of where the cats are located. Previous BMWs have their cats conventionally located in the middle of the car. The exhaust path in "typical" cars and earlier BMWs in particular generally looked like this:

engine -> exhaust manifold -> downpipe -> resonator -> catalytic converter(s) -> more pipe -> muffler

In these tradiotional setups which does not apply to the E46, better gains are realized by a true cat-back system than just a rear muffler. Our E36 exhaust is a true cat-back and bolts directly to the cats. click here for a pic of the connectors. and click here for a pic of the complete system.

The E46 is different because the cats are located within the traditional "manifold" assembly. E46s look like this:

engine -> exhaust manifold with built-in catalytic coverters -> short downpipes -> pipe -> resonator -> more pipe -> resonator -> more pipe -> muffler

Describing the 330/325 dual-pipe setup, the system is two pipes throughout this arrangement. The 328/323 merges both pipes into one at that first resonator. Both cars have good sized pipes after the manifold, and really only get choked up at the rearmost resonator and muffler.

So when you look at a system like the UUC TSE, you see that we replace the muffler and last resonator, and roughly 50% of the pipe up to that first resonator. Replacing the rest of the pipe all the way up to the downpipe would be of practically no benefit (unless you wanted your car really loud and eliminated the upstream resonator).

Interestingly enough, we end up replacing more linear feet of the original exhaust with the 330/328 TSE. Click here for a pic of the complete 330/325 TSE.

It is safe to say that as long as the stock exhaust manifold/catalytic assembly is in place in the 330/325, you will not get any appreciably greater gains that you do with the TSE setup. Most other exhausts, as you pointed out, are simple rear mufflers and do not provide the enhanced flow characteristics of the TSE. Most other aftermarket exhausts resemble the one pictured (click here).

Now, about the 328/323 setup. We often get asked, and I often see asked on this message board as to why the TSE for these cars does not replace the rearmost resonator. The answer is simple; the section of pipe where the 328/323 resonator is located is a very strangely-shaped pipe. The cross-section actually changes continually, from oval, to pentagon-shaped, and different shapes in between. Basically, it would be impossible to provide a pipe that would fit over this tortured section without leaks, as every installer would cut that original pipe in a slightly different place. Field installations would be a nightmare, and there would be no end to customer complaints of leaking... and that's why a custom job is needed to remove that resonator every time, and those generally work out just fine.

I hope this helps clear up your questions.

- Rob

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

ALL CURRENT UUC SPECIALS:
-[ CLICK HERE ]

Last edited by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks; 05-19-2002 at 12:15 PM.
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 12:55 PM   #12
Tominizer

My Ride: none
THanks Rob..... finally I understand why UUC doesn't make it for the 323/328........ I now understand what is meant by the leaking issue..... no ne ever said that before with regards to the installation
Tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote