E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Is there a fix for poor reception when 02+ radio is put into a 99-01 radio?

So...

I have a 2001 e46.... Wanting to add Sirius and an AUX adapter, I bought a used 2004 radio off a fellow fanatic who had retrofit NAV for $200 (about 2 years ago now)..

Anyhow, I am very happy with the radio, except for the crappy reception of the FM / AM radio.

I'm assuming that this has something to do with the fact that only 1 of the 2 antennas appear to be plugged in...

I have this adapter, which allowed connectivity of one of the antennas:
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=292

Is there anything I can do to improve reception? Is there a way to connect that other antenna to the radio?

Thanks,
Steve
sna77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
BMWBoiDE

My Ride: 2010 328 M SportVert
Whenever you replace a BMW radio from a car built before 9/2001 you need to replace the Antenna amp with an amp after 9/2001. This is because BMW switched internal amp design to eliminate that second antenna wire. Thats why the newer radio doesn't have a connection for it. If you just switch radios, use an antenna adapter, and leave the extra wire hanging you will lose reception. You can get a newer antenna amp (I did this and it solved my reception issue) but the list price is about 225.00. I did it the way BMW says and upgraded my amp, but have read on some posts here that you can also connect the extra wire to power up the amp and it also works but I haven't tried it.

If you do get a new amp just make sure you get the right frequency. The amp is also where the Keyless entry system sends its signal. The frequency is clearly marked on the amp.
If you have an E46 coupe with Keyless entry the part number of the newer amp is 65-25-6-906-075 for 315 MHz and 65-25-6-906-074 for 433 MHz
BMWBoiDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
sna77
OEM ///Member

how does one tell what frequency they have for the keyless entry?

Do I need to run a wire from the radio to the amplifier?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
sna77
OEM ///Member

BTW: this appears to be part for the sedan, look right?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...81&hg=65&fg=30

433 MHZ 65256906074
315 MHZ 65256906075
Old 07-31-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
PeteC

My Ride: 330XI Silver
BMWBoiDE, RU saying that the second antenna connector for legacy radio provides power to the antenna amplifier and the diversity of using the rest of the wires in the rear window? I also read somewhere that the amplifier can also be used for the TV module with the proper antenna connector. Does anyone have the specs for the legacy and new amplifier?
E46 - Mods - 18.5 wheels (summer), Homelink, NAV software upgrade, 16:9 display, TV Module, Radio to V53, AUX, USB IBUS interface,OEM alarm, Mini ITX computer, halos, front clears,BT, LED Tails and DEI remote starter. Pending - painting brake calipers.

E83 - NAV - Panoramic Sun roof, Sirius, BT, etc. Completed Mods - Homelink mirror, rear door release, AUX, CD changer. NAV video input module. USB IBUS Interface. Pending - CarPC - 20" wheels
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC
BMWBoiDE, RU saying that the second antenna connector for legacy radio provides power to the antenna amplifier and the diversity of using the rest of the wires in the rear window?

Yes, that is what I'm saying....

I spoke with a member who has done this, and he sent me a few photos, so I'll post them here for everyone.

I am going to remove the rear C-pillar, to determine which frequency I have, then replace the old antenna with the new one. The new antenna uses a single cable instead of both, so the currently unplugged second cable will just go unused...

BTW, I think that the cell phone antenna goes through here as well--when I ran a direct cable from the antenna to the center console, I got no reception.. when I used the existing coax cable, the signal went up... It must go through here...

Old antenna vs. new one:

Removing the C-pillar:

Last edited by sna77; 08-01-2006 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
No cell antenna goes thru there, sna77... I think that there is an optional cell antenna booster/compensator for 1999-2001 E46's with the CPT7000 TCU, but it is a separate unit not even installed in the C-pillar.
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:51 AM   #8
sna77
OEM ///Member

Oops... Well then I must have the compensator option in my car then... se my wrong info post on bimmerboard.com oops.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:37 PM   #9
PeteC

My Ride: 330XI Silver
So I upgraded my tuner module and have the extra lead coming from the Antenna Diversity amplier. The end of this lead needs power. Has anyone connected this lead to another source for power? I noticed that the back of my CD changer has a similiar looking plug which is not being used for anything. The specs of my CD changer do not mention this plug. What would the plug be for (DSP?)? Yes found that that is the digital smb out for a DSP amp. (answering my own question). So on "legacy" tuner modules does the SMB connector provide 12V to the diversity amplifier?
E46 - Mods - 18.5 wheels (summer), Homelink, NAV software upgrade, 16:9 display, TV Module, Radio to V53, AUX, USB IBUS interface,OEM alarm, Mini ITX computer, halos, front clears,BT, LED Tails and DEI remote starter. Pending - painting brake calipers.

E83 - NAV - Panoramic Sun roof, Sirius, BT, etc. Completed Mods - Homelink mirror, rear door release, AUX, CD changer. NAV video input module. USB IBUS Interface. Pending - CarPC - 20" wheels

Last edited by PeteC; 12-18-2006 at 05:05 PM.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #10
sna77
OEM ///Member

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=396343
Old 11-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #11
m.tran

My Ride: 2001 330 xi
is there another way to find out what frequency type i have without going thru the c-pillar??
m.tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:36 AM   #12
FuzzBall

My Ride: `01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
So I upgraded my tuner module and have the extra lead coming from the Antenna Diversity amplier. The end of this lead needs power. Has anyone connected this lead to another source for power? I noticed that the back of my CD changer has a similiar looking plug which is not being used for anything. The specs of my CD changer do not mention this plug. What would the plug be for (DSP?)? Yes found that that is the digital smb out for a DSP amp. (answering my own question). So on "legacy" tuner modules does the SMB connector provide 12V to the diversity amplifier?
Simple solution, found here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...1&postcount=46

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.tran View Post
is there another way to find out what frequency type i have without going thru the c-pillar??
Three relatively easy ways. One, Look on your key, it will have the frequency written on it. Though the text on these keys do wear off fairly easy. Two, Next time you go to the dealership ask your supervisor to check on the frequency. It should be listen on the DCS as an option as to which frequency your key uses. Third, the c-pillar option in which it's written directly on the c-pillar.
FuzzBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
While many times it can be solved with some parts swapping and changing of pieces most of the time BMWs just have bad radio reception. It really is sad that they cannot seem to make that work right. I have been in brand new BMWs from the dealer that can't seem to auto find any stations and most that it does find are fuzzy.

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
tscarola

My Ride: Silver 2002 E46 M3
So I have this '02 M3 SMG, no NAV. I have a BMW iPod adapter installed, satellite connection and no CD-changer. I bought this M3 used in '07 and the FM reception has sucked ever since. I can pick up about two or three stations period. I live in Hampton Roads (Virginia) and we get very good signal from the local stations which total about seven or eight, however, not in the M3. Today I had some time so I removed the LH C-pillar cover and checked all the connections to the radio amplifier (N8). Everything looked good. I removed connector X424 and connector X1143 (what I assumed to be power) for the AM/FM amplifier, tested the voltage (12v and about 5v on each of the two leads respectively to ground) and then reconnected it. I tested the radio and FM reception WAS PERFECT!! I could pick up every station and then some! I actually programmed the presets during this time and all was right in the world. I then turned off the radio, turned off the car, removed the key, re-inserted the key, turned on the radio and NOTHING! Back to square one - no reception! The only thing I can think of is based on the fact that power is always supplied to the AM/FM antenna amplifier ALL the time so when I disconnected it, it was reset and worked? But not sure why, after turning off the radio and car, no reception now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G_210034.png
Views:	175
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	299266   Click image for larger version

Name:	G_210036.png
Views:	153
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	299267  

Last edited by tscarola; 01-19-2009 at 05:12 PM.
tscarola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscarola View Post
So I have this '02 M3 SMG, no NAV. I have a BMW iPod adapter installed, satellite connection and no CD-changer. I bought this M3 used in '07 and the FM reception has sucked ever since. I can pick up about two or three stations period. I live in Hampton Roads (Virginia) and we get very good signal from the local stations which total about seven or eight, however, not in the M3. Today I had some time so I removed the LH C*****ar cover and checked all the connections to the radio amplifier (N8). Everything looked good. I removed connector X424 and connector X1143 (what I assumed to be power) for the AM/FM amplifier, tested the voltage (12v and about 5v on each of the two leads respectively to ground) and then reconnected it. I tested the radio and FM reception WAS PERFECT!! I could pick up every station and then some! I actually programmed the presets during this time and all was right in the world. I then turned off the radio, turned off the car, removed the key, re-inserted the key, turned on the radio and NOTHING! Back to square one - no reception! The only thing I can think of is based on the fact that power is always supplied to the AM/FM antenna amplifier ALL the time so when I disconnected it, it was reset and worked? But not sure why, after turning off the radio and car, no reception now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you have a bad antenna amplifier... Have a friend with an e46? If so, borrow his amp and see what happens... if not, buy a new one...
Old 12-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #16
platonri

My Ride: 318 CI
E46 cabrio 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Yes, that is what I'm saying....

I spoke with a member who has done this, and he sent me a few photos, so I'll post them here for everyone.

I am going to remove the rear C-pillar, to determine which frequency I have, then replace the old antenna with the new one. The new antenna uses a single cable instead of both, so the currently unplugged second cable will just go unused...

BTW, I think that the cell phone antenna goes through here as well--when I ran a direct cable from the antenna to the center console, I got no reception.. when I used the existing coax cable, the signal went up... It must go through here...

Old antenna vs. new one:

Removing the C-pillar:

Dear Fanatics,
does anyone know where can I find amplifier in cabrio 2003. and which connectors need to be cleaned to have better FM reception.

thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
BavarianBorn

My Ride: 2005 3.30i ZHP
Hi All,

I have a slightly different version of this same issue I was hoping someone could help with.

My audio amplifier (in the trunk pack) died and i had to replace it with one of the many versions that would work, used off of ebay. After installing I realized that my radio reception was lost... but kept it anyways.

I was thinking that the reception may have already been bad, but that it had gone out before the amplifier, or they had led to one another... blah blah blah... but now it is time to fix.

Im going to dig everything up and clean connections, use a voltage meter on the amp, etc.... but before I do that can someone weigh in on what happens if you put a 2000 or 2001 audio amplifier into 2005, but leave the OEM head unit and antenna amplifier. Should I be experiencing this? Can I fix it?

Thanks all.
BavarianBorn is offline   Reply With Quote