E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 10:40 AM   #41
SWINFORD
///PIITB

My Ride: Low Life Marie
Send a message via AIM to SWINFORD Send a message via MSN to SWINFORD
They look great in the daytime to

| Hypnotyzd FB |Tischer BMW|
SWINFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #42
islanq

My Ride: An E46 like you...
Send a message via AIM to islanq
@ Simon 2150
Thanks, that is the DIY I was looking for!

@ swinford
I appreciate the compliment
islanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #43
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler@UniqueDesign
Those are (appear to be, no link was posted) racing dash manufactured DDE's They are actually a pretty good product overall, lately they have had a few QC issues with the wires actually coming off the ends of the bulbs and the electrodes falling out but thats not really something I ever saw myself.

The kits I sold when I was running Leistung were the same rings and inverters, we made a harness using the same DIY that was on here, I forget who wrote it, but it was old. The harness has fuses and a relay to isolate the DDE's as much as possible.

All that said, the way you have them wired right now is pretty dangerous. There is a fault in the inverters that can cause them to completely short then they fail, and the wire you tapped is INTEGRAL to the operation of your car. Sure its the same wire everyone else (including our kits) taps and uses, but the wire is tapped as a relay trigger in the kits we sell, where its tapped as a direct power wire the way you wired it. Please please please, find the DIY that uses a relay and correct this, I'd hate to see your car have issues over a failed CCFL inverter.

I'm not going to try to convince everyone not to buy these, the product we sell does cost more, it includes a lot of peace of mind, harness and a warranty.

When I sold those I did see rings burning out though, kindof weird. The inverter failures were pretty common (plan on it happenening) and the ring failures have started happening more recently.

-Tyler
I think this shows how great a vendor Tyler is in that he doesn't just come out and destroy this member for buying the e-bay kit. Also to share and be concerned that the method on connection could cause damage to his car and suggests he wire it another way and not something like "you have to buy my kit or else your car will burn to the ground". This definately shows someone trying to help and not just posting to peddle a sale.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #44
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2150
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...wiring+harness

this might be what you're looking for
Thats the DIY I was thinking of. If you search his other threads he has a remote kit DIY too.
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #45
bombguy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
...Please please please, find the DIY that uses a relay and correct this, I'd hate to see your car have issues over a failed CCFL inverter.
-Tyler
Tyler,

The relay you are referring to would come in the Predator Chromium kit wouldn't it? I spliced into that same wire and there is a relay in the wiring for my kit, so I'm ok right?
bombguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #46
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombguy
Tyler,

The relay you are referring to would come in the Predator Chromium kit wouldn't it? I spliced into that same wire and there is a relay in the wiring for my kit, so I'm ok right?
Right, the predator chromiums, DDE raptors/titaniums all come with a harness with a relay and the proper fuses right out of the box.
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #47
bombguy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Right, the predator chromiums, DDE raptors/titaniums all come with a harness with a relay and the proper fuses right out of the box.
Awesome...thanks!!
bombguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #48
Bkm6231

My Ride: Black 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Bkm6231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaljen
I guess it depends from where you bought them.

I bought mine on ebay so I would be forced to buy a new set..
They are cheap nowadays but the install would suck. (although you would be left with 3 spares...)

ANYONE ANYONE:
How can you turn off your amber corner lights while driving but still have them working as turn signals?? (Of course, only to be used for offroad driving...

I have searched alot with not much luck. I was wondering the same thing about the amber corner lights. I would like to have them just totally off except for when I turn on my blinker. This is because I bought a set of Umnitza angel eyes and want to be able to have the eyes on only when I drive. I know I need parking lights on for brakes and when i want to turn, but I dont want to look at the amber color with my angel eyes. Not sure if this even makes any sense but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

If your gonna do it, do it big.
Bkm6231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:06 PM   #49
timmay77
Burns Rubber(s)

My Ride: My Wifey
q
RMS Stage 2 Supercharged 590rwhp/505rwtq ~ Tuning Tech FS ~ AEM Meth Kit ~ BIP Headers ~ Muffler delete with custom etched staggered tips ~ UUC V12 Clutch Kit ~ Dinan 18x9.5" all around ~ BC Racing coilovers ~ Dinan RSB/Beastpower Brackets ~ Complete Alpine/Memphis/HAT aftermarket stereo system
timmay77 is offline   Reply With Quote