E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #41
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Great job. Very impressive.

Got a side question about this exhaust hanger.

Do you happen to have part numbers? Mine rusted/burnt off.

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:19 PM   #42
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
Great job. Very impressive.

Got a side question about this exhaust hanger.

Do you happen to have part numbers? Mine rusted/burnt off.
On www.realoem.com enter the last 7 #'s of your Vin and look under exhaust system suspension parts. Heres the link to mine:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...21&hg=18&fg=30

But your parts may vary because you do have a different transmission than me and the parts for the hangers may or may not be the same.

Jared

Last edited by Ivegotissues666; 08-30-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:24 PM   #43
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
Speechless. Fantastic work, really!

Sort of makes me think that there's hope for the 330Ci slusbox

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS

Daily: 335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
Cobb STG1+, FMIC, H&R Sport, BMW Perf Style 313

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #44
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
wow AMAZING!

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:34 PM   #45
Mautofied

My Ride: 02 BMW 325Ci
all I have to say is---WOW
Old 09-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #46
Ivegotissues666

Just a quick little update:

First off sorry about the pictures. The thumbnails work but for some reason e46fanatics altered my code when I submitted the posts for the larger images, but you can just change them manually to view the larger images.

Car has been on the road for about a month and everything is running smooth except I think I may have an unbalanced driveshaft which I will take care of soon. Car is noticably quicker especially with the following that I currently have:

UUC SSK
3.46 Diff
UUC pulleys
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake

I know I didn't mention it before but the oil I used was Royal Purple Synchromax (I bought 2 quarts even though I needed a little over 1)

Just waiting on a local shop to set up an appointment to get the car flashed. They are saying it will take ~ 3-4 hours. Will need a donor car, and about half of the modules in my car will need to be reflashed.

My recommendations to all, if you can do this mod then..... DO IT. I say it was the most worthwile thing I've done to my car thus far (although I wish I had just purchased a 5 speed from the begining oh well...)

Jared

Last edited by Ivegotissues666; 09-10-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #47
Chris_A

My Ride: 320d
Damn this is sick!
Nice one Jared
Chris_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:36 AM   #48
nka203

My Ride: 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to nka203
amazing job was waiting for somebody to make instructions for this.
thanks alot ur crazy (in a good way lol)

oh one thing though, i replaced my radiator a few weeks back without replacing the thing that goes on it and it's not pissing coolant is it suppose to? and where would it piss coolant from?

Last edited by nka203; 09-12-2006 at 02:49 AM.
nka203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:01 PM   #49
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by nka203 View Post
amazing job was waiting for somebody to make instructions for this.
thanks alot ur crazy (in a good way lol)

oh one thing though, i replaced my radiator a few weeks back without replacing the thing that goes on it and it's not pissing coolant is it suppose to? and where would it piss coolant from?
These are basically instructions. You only need to replace that part if you were swapping to a 5 speed from an auto or vice versa. But if you were just replacing a auto radiator or 5 speed radiator you wouldn't need to change the peice.

Jared
Old 09-13-2006, 12:01 AM   #50
nka203

My Ride: 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to nka203
ah ic. thank you. much appreciated.
nka203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:30 AM   #51
Ivegotissues666

Let me rephrase my last post since it's oo late to edit it and I worded it kinda wrong.

You can use an Autos radiator for a 5 speed, and those extra peices were what made the difference between and auto and 5 speed radiator. There that should make more sense.

Mini update:

My car is currently at Landshark Automotive in Natick, MA getting the car recoded for the manual transmission as well as:

Disabling DRL's
Flashing Xenons
Flashing OBC

Jared
Old 09-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #52
sanyomats

My Ride: 00 328CI
AMAZING THREAD and great work!!! Def. very helpful!!!
sanyomats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:08 PM   #53
ironicdesigns
Account Under Review

My Ride: 335i
Send a message via ICQ to ironicdesigns Send a message via AIM to ironicdesigns Send a message via MSN to ironicdesigns Send a message via Yahoo to ironicdesigns
great job, i wish i could do something like this
ironicdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:09 PM   #54
Kanaljen

My Ride: 2002 330i, Honda F4
First off, kudos for the extra time you must have spent to create and share this "DIY" to all of us! Class act!

Two related questions:
- You said you might have an unbalanced driveshaft.. What's the symptom, why do you think it's the driveshaft, what can be done to find out for sure and what can be done to fix it?
- You had the flywheel resurfaced: I keep hearing no-nos on resurfacing the dual mass flywheel (which I tend to dissagree with). Which shop did you use, do you happen to know of a good one in San Diego? (Maybe I can ship it to the shop you used)

Some of these questions came about after I decided to change my OEM flywheel to the UUC light flywheel kit. Long story short, I can't wait to get that thing out of there since I have vibrations, rough clutch engagement and rattling gear box. (Yes, I have tried every remedy including taking the whole thing apart a 2nd time). I want my OEM flywheel back in but it would be nice to lighten it a bit or at the very least resurface it.

Again, awsome DIY, thanks for sharing and thank you in advance for taking the time replying to my questions.
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666 View Post
Just a quick little update:

First off sorry about the pictures. The thumbnails work but for some reason e46fanatics altered my code when I submitted the posts for the larger images, but you can just change them manually to view the larger images.

Car has been on the road for about a month and everything is running smooth except I think I may have an unbalanced driveshaft which I will take care of soon. Car is noticably quicker especially with the following that I currently have:

UUC SSK
3.46 Diff
UUC pulleys
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake

I know I didn't mention it before but the oil I used was Royal Purple Synchromax (I bought 2 quarts even though I needed a little over 1)

Just waiting on a local shop to set up an appointment to get the car flashed. They are saying it will take ~ 3-4 hours. Will need a donor car, and about half of the modules in my car will need to be reflashed.

My recommendations to all, if you can do this mod then..... DO IT. I say it was the most worthwile thing I've done to my car thus far (although I wish I had just purchased a 5 speed from the begining oh well...)

Jared
02 330i, b-sapphire, L&S package, Tan/black leather, 18" M72, Tint, Sway bars, F & R strut braces, LTW flywheel, M5 clutch, 3.15 diff, Modded exhaust, SSK, U-drive pullies, Clear front corners, smoked tail and sides, stealth bulbs, B/W roundels, blacked-out emblem, trunk spoiler, Bi-xenon, angle eyes, HID fog lights, drilled Brembo, LTW battery, VDO gauges, Premium HK, extra amps & subs, ESS S/C, PS2 235,265, pss10, adj rear ctrl arms, IC coming
Kanaljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:57 PM   #55
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaljen View Post
First off, kudos for the extra time you must have spent to create and share this "DIY" to all of us! Class act!

Two related questions:
- You said you might have an unbalanced driveshaft.. What's the symptom, why do you think it's the driveshaft, what can be done to find out for sure and what can be done to fix it?
- You had the flywheel resurfaced: I keep hearing no-nos on resurfacing the dual mass flywheel (which I tend to dissagree with). Which shop did you use, do you happen to know of a good one in San Diego? (Maybe I can ship it to the shop you used)

Some of these questions came about after I decided to change my OEM flywheel to the UUC light flywheel kit. Long story short, I can't wait to get that thing out of there since I have vibrations, rough clutch engagement and rattling gear box. (Yes, I have tried every remedy including taking the whole thing apart a 2nd time). I want my OEM flywheel back in but it would be nice to lighten it a bit or at the very least resurface it.

Again, awsome DIY, thanks for sharing and thank you in advance for taking the time replying to my questions.
K
Sent you a more detailed PM but basically for everyone else.

The Dual mass flywheel can be resurfaced but.... just so many times that is. Mine has been once and performs excellent. Where as with like UUC's light weight flywheel you can just get the replacement parts for fairly cheap to use the flywheel for a lifetime.

I just wasn't ready for a lightweight flywheel.

As for the driveshaft, I got it from a junkyard and even though it looked good to me it could have been slightly bent and I could have not noticed it. Either that or it was not aligned properly by me. So I'm just gonna take it to a shop to look at.

Just a semi update:

Got car back from landshark with coding completed. I had to remove the 3 plugs from the EGS modules to remove the 2 tranny fault codes. Well those disappeared, but now I have DSC disabled due to it being different between auto and manual and a new fault code P0600 signal miscommunication error came on. Car is going back for coding of the DSC module. Other than that car drives perfectly.

Also found out where the Pin 4 of the Clutch Switch Module goes to:

Clucth Switch Module Pin 4 <---> Pin 8 EWS connect this and remove the 12V <---> EWS wires and now you will have to depress the clutch to start the car. This is of course after the coding of the transmission data.

Jared
Old 09-30-2006, 10:39 AM   #56
Asterisk*
Banned User

My Ride: gives me blue balls
Send a message via MSN to Asterisk*
The best tranny swap thread ever!

Admire your skills Jared!
Asterisk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #57
geoffct

My Ride: 330CIc
If you don't mind what boxes did you have to flash? Is the DSC still going crazy? Did you copy the code of a car of the same year?

Thanks
Geoff
geoffct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #58
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffct View Post
If you don't mind what boxes did you have to flash? Is the DSC still going crazy? Did you copy the code of a car of the same year?

Thanks
Geoff
Heres the coding receipt, all coding data for the manual transmission was dealing with:

Coding of the ZCS (Body Electronics)
Coding of the DME
Coding of the Instrument Cluster (Which just disables the gear indicator error)

I'm pretty sure the just messed around with it really since they've done a few e36 tranny swap coding jobs, but they could have had a similar car in the shop didn't really ask but I can when I bring the car back.

I need to bring it back to them to recode the DSC module and recode the OBC for it worked for one day then decided to stop working. DSC only started going haywire and stopped working when I disconnected the EGS module (Which is the automatic transmission module which obviously I don't need anymore)

However when I reconnected it DSC began to work fine again but the 2 hard fault transmission codes pop up again. Either way the ar drives perfectly fine, I just want to rid the CEL for good though and I'm almost positive recoding of the DSC Module will do just that. I will keep everyone updated.

Jared
Old 03-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #59
M4TT

My Ride: 2007 BMW 328i
cool
M4TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #60
SammyV

My Ride: CB M3
Send a message via AIM to SammyV
Nice thread, and thanks for all the help Ivegotissues666 via pm and email. I got my car back from the shop, was wondering if you ever sorted out the SES and tranny light situation, my car was brought to the dealer to have a manual program uploaded to the computer, and then was sent back to active to have the new manual supercharger software installed. Still has a SES due to a tranny fault code, as well as the gear icon on dash..
SammyV is offline   Reply With Quote