E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #41
ViceClown

My Ride: 00 328i
So, I answered my own question and went ahead to change the rear regulator. I found it was actually easier than what was described here because I didn't have an airbag in the rear (does any E46?) and the window is only bolted to the regulator in one place. Either way I couldn't have done it w/o this writeup!! Thanks, elbee!!!!

By the way, my dealer quoted me $95 for the rear regulator and $88 for a front one... since some folks were asking. I got mine at Devon Hill BMW in Wayne, PA.

Cheers everyone!!
ViceClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:11 PM   #42
dan4081

My Ride: 2000 323i
Thanks to everyone who contributed to the write up. And a special thanks to tommieboy for getting the ball rolling. I did this today, and following the write up it is VERY easy. I could do the next much faster after this first one.
A few things to mention.
1) like the original post stated, dont start until you have ALL the tools mentioned with you
2) Keep some duct tape ready-I ripped my vapor barrier and the tape fixed it right up
3) before you start, go to the dealer and get some new door clips, the foam gaskets on some of mine needed replacing. I have much less rattles now!! They were 35 cents each!!
There is a seller on ebay that has these in stock. I bought mine, front passenger for sedan, brand new for 80 plus 9 shipping.
dan4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:54 PM   #43
tarzan2003

My Ride: 320d touring
does anyone knows where can i buy one window regulator in europe?

thanx
tarzan2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #44
tarzan2003

My Ride: 320d touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan2003
does anyone knows where can i buy one window regulator in europe?

thanx
forget it...
i decided to buy one at the the local dealer.
59 euro (320d Touring 2000 rear left door)... original one... not OEM ;-)
and it's already mounted... 1 hour was enough.
thanx to this post

thanx
tarzan2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:06 PM   #45
paulney

My Ride: 325i 2001
God damn it, today another window broke. Without any warning at all: just snapped, and won't move any more.

Time for another ziptie fix.
paulney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:13 AM   #46
TerryH

My Ride: '99 328i
Broke the wire on the right rear regulator on our 328i yesterday. It took out a dime sized hole in the window tint. Wire got rat nested around the spool so I ordered the new regulator from here.... $90 with free shipping. I buy parts for my 911 here. Good guys.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...FILTER_TOOL=ON
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:48 AM   #47
paulney

My Ride: 325i 2001
Great. I opened the rear door, after the regular just snapped today, and the regulator was all screwed up: wire tangled up around the spool, plastic clips broken.

What's worse is that the pressure had the screw that holds the window brackets freeze in so tight, I stripped it, trying to unhook the window from the brackets. Spent the next hour carefully drilling the screw out. Finally got it done, and tried to fix the regulator, but the damn thing is fubared: the wire is not smooth anymore, and it has to be so taught, it's physically impossible without some kind of machine. I'll have to order a new one.
paulney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:07 AM   #48
manydubs

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulney View Post
God damn it, today another window broke. Without any warning at all: just snapped, and won't move any more.

Time for another ziptie fix.
God has nothing to do with it, just shotty design by BMW!
manydubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #49
elbee

My Ride: 2001 325I Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulney View Post
What's worse is that the pressure had the screw that holds the window brackets freeze in so tight, I stripped it, trying to unhook the window from the brackets. Spent the next hour carefully drilling the screw out.
These screws seem very easy to strip. The are very shallow and seem to be made out of a soft aluminum. When I am trying to undo these screws I put my other hand behind the window and push the window towards me to give some added leverage. Nevertheless, if they are too tight they are easy to strip.
elbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #50
e30to36to46

My Ride: e46 touring e36m3
one added thing be extra careful removing the mirror control switch on the driver's side a knicked mine when the screwdriver I was using to pry the switch out developed a mind of its own...bottom line be patient
e30to36to46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:25 AM   #51
dahird

My Ride: BMW 323
no movement

I heard a cracking noise when closing the window now it can't move at all. I manually pulled the window up with my hands but it still won't go up all the way. Do you think that its a regulator or motor issue. Right now when I press the automatic window button it sounds like its moving its just that the window is now moving at all.
dahird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:29 PM   #52
e30to36to46

My Ride: e46 touring e36m3
u need to get in there

it sounds like the motor is still good but the window is off its "holders" on the regulator. you still may be able to salvage your regulator but no way of telling unless u take it apart.

good luck and post what u find when u get it apart
e30to36to46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:18 PM   #53
freeportd

My Ride: 325xi
I've got to have a rare car - a 2002 325xi with no broken regulators to date. Still, this past weekend I figured I'd been lucky long enough and installed the 'zip tie' fix. Many thanks to the originator of this post and the guy with the zip tie fix. I'm hoping I'll not have to deal with this problem.
freeportd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #54
kyle e46

can someone explain the zip tie fix? i have a soon to be broken window regulator and i want to do the zip tie fix.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:10 PM   #55
ACS ToPaZ 325i

My Ride: 2001 ToPaZBlaU 325i
Send a message via AIM to ACS ToPaZ 325i
I follow the DIY and was able to replace the window regulator, and it is working great. But now, I can't open the door. I can unlock the lock, meaning when it is depress, and I pull the door handle, it will pop back up, but when I pull the door handle a second time, it will not open the door.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? Also, I think I stripped the t-20 bolt under the arm rest handle, what can I use to remove it now?

BMWCCA# 190048
ACS ToPaZ 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #56
elbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS ToPaZ 325i View Post
I follow the DIY and was able to replace the window regulator, and it is working great. But now, I can't open the door. I can unlock the lock, meaning when it is depress, and I pull the door handle, it will pop back up, but when I pull the door handle a second time, it will not open the door.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? Also, I think I stripped the t-20 bolt under the arm rest handle, what can I use to remove it now?
It sounds like the white piece that controls the door handle might not have been reconnected properly. You definitely need to get that t-20 bolt out to remove the door. If the t-20 size doesn't work, try going up a size (t-25). That might work. And get a new bolt. It will cost you about 30 cents at the BMW dealership.

Last edited by elbee; 09-04-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #57
kyle e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle e46 View Post
can someone explain the zip tie fix? i have a soon to be broken window regulator and i want to do the zip tie fix.
help?
Old 09-04-2006, 11:27 PM   #58
TerryH

My Ride: '99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle e46 View Post
help?
Search tool found this thread immediately. "zip tie regulator"

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ight=regulator
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #59
The Jiveman

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Hi everybody!

I had an independent mechanic shop replace a rear-right window regulator in my 2000 323I, about 2 months ago. The dealer quoted me $450 to do it (unbeliveable!!!!), and the indie mechanic did it for $210... Anyways, that was all over, and I was at least hoping I wouldn't have to worry about THAT window for a while.

Well, here I am 2 months later, and yesterday it broke AGAIN!!! The same window!!!

However, this time, the window goes down normally, but it won't go up (with a button). I can hear the mechanism working (and sounding) normally when I pull the button up, but the window doesn't move. The previous time this happened, the window wouldn't go anywhere, and the sound of it was very different (worse).

Is it possible that something came loose? Could I possibly fix this without replacing the whole thing (considering that it goes down normally)??

Thanks!
The Jiveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #60
elbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jiveman View Post
Is it possible that something came loose? Could I possibly fix this without replacing the whole thing (considering that it goes down normally)??

Thanks!
It's most likely the regulator again. You would have to open up the door to see if the regulator can be salvaged with the zip tie method. These regulators are really crappy. Even if you put in a new one zip tie it. If you don't want to do it yourself make the mechanic do it. Bring him 2 zip ties and print out the picture of how it should look. You will find it here:

http://www.skene.org/bmw/window/