E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 11:39 AM   #61
The Jiveman

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
I just called the mechanic shop that replaced it previously, and they said that the regulator itself has a 1 year warranty, and the shop has 6 months warranty on labor. And I checked my receipt last night, and it has been exactly 34 days since the new regulator was put in (regular window use, as far as I'm concerned)!

So either way, I should be covered for this one... But I just might bring along a couple of zip ties, too!

By the way, an FYI for all... Both times this window regulator has failed (which, I cannot stress enough, has been within little over a month), it has been without any warning signs. Window seemed to work flawlessly until a big CHKGINKG-kinda sound happened, and poof... no more window work up for you...

Sometimes I wish I still had the good old window cranks... But ONLY sometimes...
The Jiveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #62
TerryH

My Ride: '99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbee View Post
It's most likely the regulator again. You would have to open up the door to see if the regulator can be salvaged with the zip tie method. These regulators are really crappy. Even if you put in a new one zip tie it. If you don't want to do it yourself make the mechanic do it. Bring him 2 zip ties and print out the picture of how it should look. You will find it here:

http://www.skene.org/bmw/window/
Can the zip tie fix be used on the rear regulators? When my right rear regulator failed, the wire got mangled around the spool. I had to buy a new regulator, but I didn't see how the zip ties would apply as it didn't resemble the pictured one in the link.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:49 PM   #63
elbee

My Ride: 2001 325I Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jiveman View Post
I just called the mechanic shop that replaced it previously, and they said that the regulator itself has a 1 year warranty, and the shop has 6 months warranty on labor. And I checked my receipt last night, and it has been exactly 34 days since the new regulator was put in (regular window use, as far as I'm concerned)!

So either way, I should be covered for this one... But I just might bring along a couple of zip ties, too!

By the way, an FYI for all... Both times this window regulator has failed (which, I cannot stress enough, has been within little over a month), it has been without any warning signs. Window seemed to work flawlessly until a big CHKGINKG-kinda sound happened, and poof... no more window work up for you...

Sometimes I wish I still had the good old window cranks... But ONLY sometimes...
I am glad they are going to cover it. 34 days is ridiculous. Not the shop's fault, but still.
elbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #64
elbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
Can the zip tie fix be used on the rear regulators? When my right rear regulator failed, the wire got mangled around the spool. I had to buy a new regulator, but I didn't see how the zip ties would apply as it didn't resemble the pictured one in the link.
I don't think the zip ties would work on the rears. I have not had to change a rear regulator yet so I don't know what they look like, but from what other people have written about it I don't think the rears can be zip tied. But I could be wrong.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #65
elbee

Ah, I just re-read his post and his problem was with a rear window not a front window. I missed that! So, I was wrong about bringing the mechanic 2 zip ties. From what I have read the zip ties don't work on the rears. But again, I could be wrong.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:30 PM   #66
The Jiveman

Yeah, I didn't realize that zip-tie fix is only intended for front regulators.

Oh well... in this case, I'm happy that the shop will cover everything (we'll see, I have an appt. for Friday), but I certainly would like to have a back-up solution for the rear windows, kinda like the zip-tie for fronts... Oh well...
Old 09-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #67
MIKEAW225

My Ride: 330i
I have Two E46's one 330I and a 325I both the same year and Color. (Wifeís and Mine) Donít ask. But so far the 325I has had all four windows changed before it hot 60k, the 330I has had both front changed and one rear and it just hit 50k. You would think BMW would come up with a better or permanent fix for this problem. I have ruined the tint on 4 windows so far, and BMW fronted the bill for the 325I to get Re-Tinted. My 01' M5 hasnít had any issues so far. This is quite ridiculous! I now only have a warrantee on the 330I Extended now, just in case. Both are Daily Drivers and I have a Window Happy 5 year old! The 325I just got the last window Regulator changed last week. I should be good for a few years. I had my suspensions of this when two failed at once on the 325I but seems like since then they are breaking left and right. The dealer hates me now
MIKEAW225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #68
The Jiveman

Well, I just got a call from the shop which is fixing my rear regulator (remember, the one that broke after 34 days after being replaced?)... Apparently, the regulator itself is still fine. However, there is a plastic piece that connects the regulator directly to the window glass, and this plastic thing broke. Technically, this piece is not part of the regulator itself, so the work done today is not really covered by the shop's warranty. However, they ended up using some high-strength glue to fix this plastic piece (since the local BMW dealer didn't have one in stock), and ended up doing it for free.

They believe this glue will hold, but they did say that if it breaks again, the piece will need to be replaced with a "real" part.

Oh well... I'm just happy it's not the 34-day old regulator that broke, but it doesn't make me feel much better about BMW's power window design in general...
Old 09-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #69
elbee

Hi Jiveman,
Even if the regulator itself is not the problem, the recent repair made to your regulator most likely caused this plastic piece to break - which is why they fixed it for free. I love how they said that "technically" they are not responsible and make you feel like they are doing you a huge favor by fixing it for free. In my opinion they are 100% responsible. My guess is that they over torqued the bolt that secures the regulator to the window or somehow didn't align things properly before they tightened the bolt. It was probably the red bracket that broke. This is a small piece of plastic that costs 29 cents according to realoem.com.

I have to say, I don't like the way the did this repair. Gluing together a piece of plastic that costs 29 cents is not a good way to fix things. A few hot days and I can see this fix coming apart very easily. I am curious to see how long this holds together. Keep us posted. In the future, I wouldn't go back to that shop. They are wasting your time. If they fixed the regulator properly the first time, you wouldn't have had to take it back 34 days later. And now with their most recent repair, it looks like you are going to have to go back again in the near future.

This is why I encourage people to fix this themselves. I know most people don't have the time to do something like this or are not mechanically inclined, but sometimes it is worth it to take the time and do repairs like this yourself.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:08 PM   #70
The Jiveman

Thanks for the advice, elbee... This car mechanic shop is pretty reputable in this area, so I doubt they're setting me up for some sort of "stream" of future repairs or something... But they probably DID mess something up that caused the plastic piece to break (from the previous repair they did), so they thought they'd cover it up with a "free" glue-job. Riiiiight...

Anyways, even before they told me that it was NOT the regulator this time, I made a decision to do this myself the next time it happens (god forbid! )... So, this time they covered it (and we'll just have to see how long the glue holds up), but the next time it'll be all me!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:09 AM   #71
Dr3amcar00

My Ride: 2000 323i Sedan
Thanks! Just did this today using this diy, and it worked great!!!! I ordered the rear regulator from KO, got it quick and at a great price. The Zip Tie fix DOES NOT work on the rear, so go ahead and order the new regulator. Feels good to save some $$$$ once in a while.

Last edited by Dr3amcar00; 09-14-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Dr3amcar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:06 PM   #72
san_siro

My Ride: 323i
Driver side rear door, where do the wires go (pics) ?

Anyone know where these three wires attach to ? I took apart my door 2 wks ago while waiting for the window regulator to arrive. I finally installed it but forgot where the 3 (2 white and 1 yellow) wires attach to.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	driver_side_rear_door.jpg
Views:	1053
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	195872  
san_siro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:44 PM   #73
dmblongo

My Ride: 01 330i
yup tup

yeah yeah i luv this site....thank you for the tips......
dmblongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:08 PM   #74
reynaldo

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to reynaldo
Driver side window will not raise

can somebody tell me why the driver side will not raise up but it goes down when i press the console window button?
reynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:35 PM   #75
kyle e46

My Ride: 325xi
my passenger side recently made some bad noises and it's time to replace the regulator. i was thinking if the zip tie fix will fix this?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #76
The Jiveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynaldo View Post
can somebody tell me why the driver side will not raise up but it goes down when i press the console window button?
I had a similar thing on my rear right window. I heard mine break: there was a loud snap-kinda noise that occured all of a sudden, after which I could only make the window go down and not up. It turns out that the piece that attaches the window regulator to the window itself was BROKEN (the regulator itself was fine).

If you need to put the window up temporarily, try pulling the button up (as if you were making the window go up), and when you hear the mechanism working, stop and go outside and try raising the window by hand. If that works, repeat the process until you get the window all the way up... temporarily...

Hope this helps...
Old 09-29-2006, 07:51 PM   #77
kyle e46

i started with the window up, how do i get it down so i can unbolt it? keep in mind my window regulator didn't brake yet.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #78
kyle e46

what are the bolts that hold the window to the regulator called? i need a few replacements because i stripped them.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #79
vert

My Ride: MINI Cooper Hatch
Send a message via AIM to vert
Just finished doing the zip tie fix on the front passenger side. Took about 3 hours start to finish, but i was taking my time. There are two mechanisms with that cylinder and only one of them broke, but i went ahead and put zip ties around the second one as well as a PM - I would hate to do all this work only to have the other mechanism break in a month. My front driver side failed a year ago and back then i did not know about the zip tie trick, so i went ahead and purchased a new regulator and installed it myself as well.

Everything seems to be working great on the passenger side with a zip tie fix, i just wonder how "permanent" is this fix? What's the longest that someone had this without any problems?

Great diy

Last edited by vert; 10-01-2006 at 03:24 PM.
vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #80
vert

My Ride: MINI Cooper Hatch
Send a message via AIM to vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle e46 View Post
what are the bolts that hold the window to the regulator called? i need a few replacements because i stripped them.
Maybe this will help?

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...25&hg=51&fg=10
vert is offline   Reply With Quote